Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Question with tuning a bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 12:34 PM
siulonbow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently purchase the Madone 5.5 that comes in with the Dura Ace, but I am very unhappy with my experience so far. I was expecting that the shifting is more accurate and shift gears in one click motion.

I have found problems that my rear derailleur are making noises when I shift to about 4 to 7 gear(rear). I can’t really tell which gear exactly. When I change to one of the problematic gear, ie. 5th, I might experience the chain jumping around from 5th and 6th. When I use the bigger ring from the front, and the rear at 3rd, I keep hearing noises like it was not fully engaged. Sometimes I have to push the down shift lever a little to get rid of the noise. But once I release the lever, the noise come back again. I have tried to screw tighter or looser around where the cable to the rear derailleur is, but I don’t think I know how to get rid of that noise. It’s getting very annoying and I have almost look into buying a SRAM Red because of that.

I would like to know with this problem, is it my shifter or is my bike due for a tune up? I only got my bike for 2-3 weeks, and my lbs told me to bring it back in 3 months for tune up. Is it time for a tune up now? Is it something I can do it myself?

Last edited by siulonbow; 05-18-09 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Add questions to my thread
Old 05-18-09, 12:47 PM
capwater

Bikes: Giant TCR Comps, Cdale R5000, Klein Q-Pro, Litespeed Siena, Piasano 105, Redline Conquest Pro, Voodoo Bizango, Fuji Aloha

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There isn't one question mark (???) in your whole rant. Not sure what you want answered so I'll have to try to read your mind. If it's a new bike, take it back for a free adjustment. Most shops offer that. If it is a used bike hit up the parktool.com site to learn how to tune up your bike or just stroke a check. With a little tweaking any drivetrain can be made to run smooth as buttah.
Old 05-18-09, 12:52 PM
tellyho
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most shops have you come in a couple weeks after buying the bike for a tune. Cable stretch could easily explain your symptoms: it takes a little bit for the housing to settle into its proper position.
Old 05-18-09, 03:09 PM
siulonbow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my bike at a bike shop that is 2 hrs away, do you think lbs will do that with a reasonable charge? or should I do that myself at home?
Old 05-18-09, 03:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It sounds like your rear derailleur is out of adjustment. Look here for directions on how to do it yourself or take it to the shop.
Old 05-18-09, 03:19 PM
sour01
Rid'n Rev

Bikes: 2007 Felt F55, Vintage Univega, 2012 Specialized Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
They should and probably will do it free.
Old 05-18-09, 04:43 PM
Tristan86

Bikes: LD-796R frame with Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every rider should know how to adjust derailluers. It is very easy, I suggest looking at the park tools website for info.
Old 05-18-09, 08:35 PM
fosmith
my brain hurts!

Bikes: Numerous bicycles.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dura ace 7800 or 7900?
Old 05-18-09, 08:47 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The shop should do it for free. New bikes usually need cable adjustments, especially during the first few hundred miles. It's best to learn simple adjustments yourself. Try https://www.parktool.com for instructions. https://www.sheldonbrown.com is another good source for information. There are also numerous books available.

Al
Old 05-18-09, 09:55 PM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"I bought my bike at a bike shop that is 2 hrs away, do you think lbs will do that with a reasonable charge? or should I do that myself at home?"

Reasonable charge depends on your definition of reasonable. I would expect they would charge about $10 to $20 for this, thats assuming it is just out of adjustment and nothing else is wrong such as a bent dropout or derailleur hanger, or a defective derailleur or shifter.

If your bike is new and under warranty then you should take it back to the shop you bought it from to have them check it over. Stating the shop you purchased from is over 2 hours away from you is not going to get you any sympathy. Shopping far and wide for a good deal may save you some money on the initial purchase but if you need to return to the shop now and again the cost savings is slowly eliminated by the expense of gas and time.

Cheers.
-j