Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cracked stem

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cracked stem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-17, 06:13 PM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cracked stem

Had LBS re-cable my bike, went in to pick it up today and the mechanic pointed out that my Thompson Elite X2 stem had a pretty significant crack I hadn't noticed Probably saved me a huge dental bill or worse. The stem probably has 10,000 miles on it and is several years old on my beater bike. I was pretty surprised as the Thompson is known to be a pretty stout stem especially for it's weight. My bad, should have been inspecting my bike more often, hope everyone else will too. Just ordered an Easton EA90 to replace it with, hope it will do me a little better.

Last edited by whitemax; 03-22-17 at 06:26 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 03-22-17, 06:26 PM
garysol1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I assume its the faceplate that cracked? Its a known issue. Call Thomson and they will send you a new one. Note...... There is no "P" in Thomson
Old 03-22-17, 08:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
How was it cracked? Pictures?

Many times it cracks from overtightening.
Old 03-22-17, 08:57 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You are very, very fortunate that nothing bad happened. And, so am I. I still shudder when I recall a time when a stem cracked on me while I was riding my bike at the start of this 1/2 mile 14% grade. I noticed the problem just in time. We all just need to inspect our equipment regularly. And hope for the best. In my case, I believe it was just a defective stem and not the result of over-torquing; but, as Timothy says, over-torquing is often the problem.
Old 03-22-17, 09:04 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
I assume its the faceplate that cracked? Its a known issue. Call Thomson and they will send you a new one. Note...... There is no "P" in Thomson
A fair assumption(it's a common failure), but inaccurate in the case of my cracked Thomson stem. Mine started to split at the 12 o'clock position looking down at the steerer tube top cap.

Last edited by noodle soup; 03-22-17 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 05:21 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
A fair assumption(it's a common failure), but inaccurate in the case of my cracked Thomson stem. Mine started to split at the 12 o'clock position looking down at the steerer tube top cap.
Did Thomson replace it?
Old 03-23-17, 06:05 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Had a Ritchey WCS AL stem crack vertically starting from the steerer tube. Also had well north of 10k miles. Definitely some fatigue to watch out for in the lightweight stuff.
Old 03-23-17, 06:52 AM
Costco hot dogs

Bikes: I got 'em.

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Samesies! However, due to wanton neglect. About 15k miles.

Like Wilford Brimely said, "check your stem, and check it often."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1167.jpg (92.2 KB, 295 views)
Old 03-23-17, 10:22 AM
noodle soup

Did Thomson replace it?
No they didn't, but it was way out of warranty.
Old 03-23-17, 11:24 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Any way to see this with the stem installed?
Old 03-23-17, 11:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Holy crap, this thread is scary.
Old 03-23-17, 11:39 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by 99Klein
Any way to see this with the stem installed?
if I hadn't been using a garmin mount that was connected to a steerer tube spacer, it would have been more noticeable. This X4 stem was on a SS hardtail mountain bike.
Old 03-23-17, 12:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
But it was Light while it lasted..

boring 'heavy' stuff may last longer..

Old 03-23-17, 06:14 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
How was it cracked? Pictures?

Many times it cracks from overtightening.
Never been removed since installed by professional highly regarded bike mechanic using torque wrench. I have no clue how to get a pic on here from computer and don't have a smart phone.
Old 03-23-17, 06:17 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Right, no P. Actually it cracked at 3:00 looking down on the headset, the section going around the steerer tube.
Old 03-23-17, 06:20 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Guess you could let that one go till the crack reached the faceplate. Seriously, that is the strangest place for a crack to appear.
Old 03-23-17, 06:25 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
You are very, very fortunate that nothing bad happened. And, so am I. I still shudder when I recall a time when a stem cracked on me while I was riding my bike at the start of this 1/2 mile 14% grade. I noticed the problem just in time. We all just need to inspect our equipment regularly. And hope for the best. In my case, I believe it was just a defective stem and not the result of over-torquing; but, as Timothy says, over-torquing is often the problem.
Yes, very fortunate the mechanic spotted it, must not be my time to go just yet. Thing is, I rarely get out of the saddle or sprint so I would't say I've ever put a lot of stress on the front end. More of a climber, love to sit and grind up the foothills of N.C.
Old 03-23-17, 06:34 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
But it was Light while it lasted..

boring 'heavy' stuff may last longer..

Thomson stuff is very strong and heavily tested, and not much lighter than other production stuff out there. Popular in downhill mtb circuit, etc... Nothing gets by without a failure here or there. Let's not misinform the lurkers out there...
Old 03-23-17, 06:42 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
Yes, very fortunate the mechanic spotted it, must not be my time to go just yet. Thing is, I rarely get out of the saddle or sprint so I would't say I've ever put a lot of stress on the front end. More of a climber, love to sit and grind up the foothills of N.C.
You know what fascinates me and strikes me as ironic about this incident as well as my own near-disaster is that these were both cases of metal alloy stems failing. I have always done tons of climbing and I'd have to say that I put considerable stress on my stems/bars because I'm often out of the saddle and moving the bike around to get up some pretty severe gradients. In my case, I was then riding a friend's old bike, but the stem was actually pretty new (it was a Cinelli quill stem; metal alloy).

I currently have two carbon fiber bikes and both have carbon fiber stems as well (and bars). I always look at them with suspicion when I ride, yet put my full trust in them. Or, better stated, I put potential problems out of my mind. Nothing has happened yet and hopefully nothing will.

Last edited by Scarbo; 03-23-17 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 06:48 PM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
You know what fascinates me--and strikes me as ironic about this incident as well as my own near-disaster is that these were both cases of metal alloy stems failing. I have always done tons of climbing and I'd have to say that I put considerable stress on my stems/bars because I'm often out of the saddle and moving the bike around to get up some pretty severe gradients. In my case, I was then riding a friend's old bike, but the stem was actually pretty new (it was a Cinelli quill stem; metal alloy).

I currently have two carbon fiber bikes and both have carbon fiber stems as well (and bars). I always look at them with suspicion when I ride, yet put my full trust in them. Or, better stated, I put potential problems out of my mind. Nothing has happened yet and hopefully nothing will.
Yes, my primary bike, a Cannonade Evo has carbon stem. I don't know but I would think that metal has a fatigue life whereas carbon does not. I would think that there would be more metal stem failures than with carbon but I could be wrong. Anyone know?
Old 03-23-17, 07:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Please do not read this as some kind of critique or warning, but.....

Thomson, like many makers of "machined from billet" stems don't do a step that was common BITD of forged quill stems.

Ball burnishing "tightens" up the surface structure of aluminum parts, partly duplicating and/or enhancing the effects of near net forging. By compressing and flowing the surface it closes surface micro cracks that may otherwise become the seeds from which cracks grow.

As mentioned, ball burnishing used to be SOP, but has gone out of fashion, probably for cosmetic reasons. Also keep in mind, that aluminum, (both forged and machined) is vulnerable to corrosion, which cause surface defects that later start the cracking/fatigue process.

On the bright side well designed and built can tolerate crack formation for quite a while before failing. I suspect that this stem's crack woulf have become obvious either by sight or sound (creaking) or even by feeling looser well before it let go.

So, don't obsess, but don't neglect or take your aluminum parts for granted either.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-24-17, 08:59 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Come to think of it, my FSA stem is aluminum covered in carbon. Wonder how I am supposed to see a crack forming in the metal if it's covered.
Old 03-24-17, 09:01 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Please do not read this as some kind of critique or warning, but.....

Thomson, like many makers of "machined from billet" stems don't do a step that was common BITD of forged quill stems.

Ball burnishing "tightens" up the surface structure of aluminum parts, partly duplicating and/or enhancing the effects of near net forging. By compressing and flowing the surface it closes surface micro cracks that may otherwise become the seeds from which cracks grow.

As mentioned, ball burnishing used to be SOP, but has gone out of fashion, probably for cosmetic reasons. Also keep in mind, that aluminum, (both forged and machined) is vulnerable to corrosion, which cause surface defects that later start the cracking/fatigue process.

On the bright side well designed and built can tolerate crack formation for quite a while before failing. I suspect that this stem's crack woulf have become obvious either by sight or sound (creaking) or even by feeling looser well before it let go.

So, don't obsess, but don't neglect or take your aluminum parts for granted either.
That makes sense to me. My crack is vertical across the whole band of metal. It is an obvious crack running the entire length but I don't think it has gone all the way through. I haven't taken the stem off yet as I'm just waiting for the new stem to come in the mail before I swap them out.
Old 03-24-17, 09:55 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Heh - with all the cheap carbon imitation stuff being bought online right now, still the only bar/stem I've seen catastrophically fail in person was a Ritchey aluminum bar during a downtown crit. This was about 10 years ago btw, and I was later told it was due to some kind of corrosion that happens with aluminum on aluminum parts & sweat (I think). And that it has to be neglected for a while. Somebody here might know more about that type of corrosion. The guy did crash hard and break a collar bone.

It stuck with me enough that I started checking my gear, and I actually replaced a couple of bars/stems 'just cause' after a couple of years of use.
Old 03-24-17, 10:02 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.