Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery British(??) Track Frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-22, 06:17 PM
rourkefan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

So I have a bit of a mystery - I bought this (tiny, perfect for me!) track frame a couple of years back and I cannot for the life of me work out who might have made it. I live in the UK and the top suggestions so far have been Chas Roberts and Geoffrey Butler, but the way the lugs extend forward on the headtube is something I don't recognise at all. Going to build it up into an all-weather gravel eater while I recover from knee surgery so would nice to know what I'm working on.

Serial number is identical on the frame and forks at least, think that's my best chance as there's zero marking in the dropouts. British threading on the BB, 27.0mm seatpost. Also note the pretty chunky wrap-over seat stays, nothing like the svelte ones on my Rourke. It's pretty lightweight, so the '531 renovated' tubing sticker could be correct (1920g frame, 710g forks) but it's clearly been resprayed at some point making life difficult. Came to me with a campy headset and some Miche-mash BB with a sugino cup mixed in with italian stuff.

Thanks in advance, I've been poring over google images to no avail - time to ask the experts!

Likes For rourkefan:
Old 03-03-22, 06:36 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 452 Posts
A Rose By Any Other Name

The Holdsworth Mistral had those head lugs, and wrapover seat stay treatment.

source

The Serial Number and location, and font of at least the "7" is not inconsistent with Holdsworth construction.

source

Here's the place for you to begin.

The letters bracketing the serial elude me at the moment. Do let us know when you suss out their meaning?

Last edited by machinist42; 03-03-22 at 06:39 PM.
Likes For machinist42:
Old 03-03-22, 06:42 PM
rourkefan

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Great info! That's the best headtube match I've seen by miles. The letters are what confuse me too! To be continued...
Old 03-03-22, 07:19 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 452 Posts
Letters and Numbers

Originally Posted by rourkefan
Great info! That's the best headtube match I've seen by miles. The letters are what confuse me too! To be continued...
If you haven't found it already, here is the definitive table of serial lettering and numbering.

Good Luck!
Likes For machinist42:
Old 03-03-22, 07:50 PM
rourkefan

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
From diving around the sources on those databases, it seem 'K' denotes a 'stock' frame built for the holdsworth shop? Do you know what that means? Sorry I'm dim. The 67 seems to mean a '67 'shop frame' and the best guess over on Retrobike is that the 'R' means it was made by Charlie Roberts, although who knows. I'll email Geoff and ask.
Old 03-03-22, 10:22 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
It certainly ticks some "Holdsworth" boxes with the Prugnat headlugs and wrap-over stays, but as noted the style of stamping in the BB shell looks different than most I've seen (which certainly is not a great number) and the seat lug is not the typical "keyed" ear style of the Mistrals, however a "shop" frame could have custom features (so could the Factory frames for that matter).
I also don't recognize that fork crown.
Do you know who the re-spray shop is (per the sticker, APi maybe)? Maybe if they are still in business they might remember or have records.
Old 03-04-22, 01:01 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Here's a Cyclone with that style fork crown.
Old 03-04-22, 10:17 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Per the notes it's an Agrati crown, very interesting!
Not one I'd have expected to find on a Holdsworth but certainly is another box ticked in the evidence column for ID-ing the track frame as a Holdsworth.
Thanks for the info, IC!
Old 03-04-22, 03:16 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Is it possible that Argo kept records of their refpainted bikes?

If it fails to be a Holdsworth, you could also try Shorter Rochford bike shop. Alan Shorter made a lot of track frames over the decades, some with similarities.

Old 03-06-22, 05:54 AM
rourkefan

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Clubman - that shorter does look close, thanks! Will investigate. An update on my quest:

K R seems to indicate that this was a frame built (most likely by another builder) to Ken Ryall's specifications. Anyone know much about him? I'm only 30 and been riding classic steel since I was 18 but still learning the big names!

API BIKES were the ones who resprayed the bike - rub by ex-pro Andy Palmer. Unfortunately the email bounces back, and the website looks decidedly early 2000s to be still running (love it).

Still no luck on working out an exact model - I'm guessing it must have been somewhat custom though?