Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Boehm lightweight cottered BB spindle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 03:22 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts

In a recent thread on cottered spindles I mentioned that a Boehm would be a holy grail find for me. Apparently my mental inventory needs updating because I just found I have a complete Boehm BB. Forgot I had it, found it while looking for something else. It wasn't even with my other cottered spindles, apparently I felt it was too precious to hang out with that riff-raff, it was where I keep all my grails.

Here's a view showing how dang hollow it is:

It weighs 125 g.
I have hollow cottered spindles from Stronglight and Zeus, which both weigh 180 g. Just 2 ounces heavier than a Boehm. Significant? You decide. Weird and cool? You betcha.

On the end it says FORME INTERIEURE DEPOSEE which I think means "inside shape registered trademark". Different from a patent, so probably this wasn't patented.
The hollow inside is forged to the shape! Specifically, the flats where the cotters go are forged in after the large diameter hollow is created. There is no way to drill or machine that shape of hole.

Here's a catalog shot with cut-away view:
Old 06-28-23, 06:34 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

have you been able to learn years produced?

-----
Old 06-28-23, 09:13 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I have hollow cottered spindles from Stronglight and Zeus, which both weigh 180 g.
How long is that Stronglight (should be stamped), I just weighed a 130mm at 183g.
Old 06-28-23, 10:01 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Cool archaic tech.
Old 06-28-23, 05:35 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

have you been able to learn years produced?

-----
I have a vague memory someone told me '30s-'40s, but I don't remember where I heard it, don't trust me on that. Company full name is Felix Boehm, based in St. Ettiene
Old 06-28-23, 05:36 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by oneclick
How long is that Stronglight (should be stamped), I just weighed a 130mm at 183g.
Yes I have a 125 mm and a 130, and I'll bet it was the 125 I weighed.
Old 06-28-23, 05:54 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

One more datum to report, the end diameter where it mates with the crank is 16.01 mm (.630"), the largest I have ever measured, which is not all that many really, probably fewer than 20. But all the other spindles I measured were undersized compared to their nominal size. Generally speaking, the more expensive they were, the closer they were to the nominal size, but always under. This one really is ever so slightly oversized! Yes I measured it several times in different places, and not on dirt or rust, you can take that to the bank.

One bike shop I worked at in the '70s had a 16 mm reamer made for bike cranks, some bike tool brand, like Eldi maybe? It had a long gradual taper that took something like 8" to go from a bit under 5/8" to 16 mm, so you could convert an English crank to take a French or Italian spindle. You'd run it only as far up the taper as needed to fit the crank — ISTR somewhere about halfway up was usually enough. You'd definitely need to use the entire reamer to make a crank fit this Boehm.

This would be a cool spindle to use with Duprat hollow cranks, or maybe Maxi-Plume which was cottered light-alloy. I do have a hollow steel cottered crank called Wedge-lock, but it almost certainly needs a 5/8" spindle, being English. So this spindle will just live in my "box of grails" waiting for the right bike to come along.
Old 06-28-23, 06:19 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by bulgie
i have a vague memory someone told me '30s-'40s, but I don't remember where I heard it, don't trust me on that. Company full name is Felix Boehm, based in St. Ettiene
-----

...have a faint memory of Ron Kitching being a stockist for it and it being shown, via drawing, in an old edition of "Everything Cycling"

the distinctive lockring seems to have made a dent in that which passeth for me "memory"

perhaps one of our UK members will recall the RonKit connection...

---

EDIT:

found it

the Kitching Handbook, 1963 lists the product on page thirteen

they spell the name BOHEM

this could be a simple error or they could have been confused by the OE digraph

the listing states that three lengths were stocked: 127, 132 & 135

only British thread was stocked

-----

Last edited by juvela; 06-28-23 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 06-29-23, 11:27 AM
juvela

-----

Zut alors!

found one fitted to a handsome Helyett Speciale Piste of the early fifties over at Tonton

cycle as found -

assembly as found -

cycle following a spot of lavandation -

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

discussion thread -

​​​​​​https://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.php?t=18680

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 06-29-23, 04:46 PM
juvela

-----

found meself a wonderin' what BOEHM may have done to accommodate Italian dimension shells

expect they may have followed the lead of SPECTA & Verot-Perrin (pure speculation) and made the walls of the Italian dimension cups one mm thicker than those of BSC and metric cups

by so doing they could avoid the cost of tooling to offer three additional spindle models

the one downside of the arrangement is that it leaves no means of fitment to those 70mm BSC shells found on some Belgian products

-----
Old 06-30-23, 02:10 PM
Duke7777

Bikes: 48 Alleluia, 52 Blondin, 57 Cattaneo, 68 CNC, 55 Dujay, 46 Herse, 76 Singer, 48 LeGreves, 55 Metropole, 62 Holdsworth Cyclone, 49 Carpenter, 55 Condor, 65 Masi Special, 81 Sequoia, 76 Eisentraut, 72 Proteus, 60 Paramount, 77 Trek TX700, 82 Ross

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 55 Posts
Felix Boehm bb

One of these came in a nice Metropole racing frame that I estimate to be from the early 50s. I had never heard of these before, and marveled at the quality and lightness. This frame also came with a headset that was clearly a step above the usual Stronglight commonly seen on good quality 50s race bikes. It was stamped AIY or possibly A/Y. It was similar to the Janisson typically found on Herses of that era.

Likes For Duke7777:
Old 06-30-23, 02:26 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by Duke7777
One of these came in a nice Metropole racing frame that I estimate to be from the early 50s. I had never heard of these before, and marveled at the quality and lightness. This frame also came with a headset that was clearly a step above the usual Stronglight commonly seen on good quality 50s race bikes. It was stamped AIY or possibly A/Y. It was similar to the Janisson typically found on Herses of that era.

-----

Thanks very much for this information, greatly appreciated!

-----