Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

(Mostly) Rode my age...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

(Mostly) Rode my age...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 10:32 AM
rlmalisz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
(Mostly) Rode my age...

I've been meaning to do the RMA thing for a few years. I live near Portland, OR; birthday is in April. I'm a fair weather rider...get some miles in as early as April, but March and earlier run pretty soggy here. I've been doing all my riding solo and unsupported for years...last organized ride was probably 10 years ago. Most of the cycling "events" around here have become spendy blowouts...big meal, party at the end, hoopla, souvies. Have considered doing one of them anyway, and just bailing out at the finish.

This year, ORbike set up a "club ride style" event. Yes, rest stops with snacks, water, electrolytes, bathrooms, SAG if needed. But no other frills. Ride was named "Hood and Back". A true out-and-back, so I could ride out half my age (69) and turn back shy of the 38.5 endpoint. Pretty hilly, but I signed up. Tried to pile on more climbing in my rides ahead of time. Hoped to get back down to last year's 205 weight (made it to 215). Had hoped the 11-36 Shimano 105 cassette I asked for when I bought my bike back in January would show it (now supposed to be at the shop tomorrow). Had hoped for a normal PNW July day: 80-ish for high, cool morning.

Ride was Saturday. I live 40 miles from the starting point, tried to be parked and checked in before start time at 7. Things conspired against me (traffic, bad signage at the sprawling start site, gloves left behind in car), but got under way about 7:30. Plenty of climbing going. Forecast was for 98 at the start PM, red flag headwinds for the return. Lovely. I made it 35.7 miles and turned back, a few miles short of the endpoint. I just felt like I was going to need my diminishing leg power going back.

Nor was I wrong. While the net elevation change going back was negative, there were a half dozen 12-13% climbs, a couple of them over a mile long, on the return. I made it up the first several of these, but latter ones were in blazing sun, into a 15mph headwind. It was like riding in an air fryer. As I'm not proud nor excited to be hauled back in an ambulance, I walked bits of these. Varia radar conked out about 6 hours into the ride, just as I was getting back into a stretch near Troutdale with vehicles on the route. I really hit the wall, but made it back to the start, vegetated there for a bit, dragged the bike back to the car, loaded up, came home. Got out yesterday for an easy 24-mile spin. Normally walk to the gym 3 miles each way, workout for an hour on Mondays and Wednesdays. Yes on gym, no on getting there and back on foot this week.

Would I do it again? Yes, preferably a bit lighter, with slightly better gearing on a cooler day. Did I bonk? You betcha. I wasn't the only one. I saw a couple folks basically pass out and fall over. One poor guy had his Di2 battery exhaust on a climb I was walking, and he was stuck with a fixie for the balance of the ride, and wound up walking some hills. Some folks sagged out. My derm may have a field day with liquid nitrogen target practice next month...that was at least 4 hours in intense sun.

I could have posted this in the regional group, the Clyde group, or here. This semed like the best choice. Thanks for reading.

--Richard
Likes For rlmalisz:
Old 07-19-23, 10:48 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,645 Times in 2,923 Posts
good for you for getting out there and doing it in less than ideal conditions. You gave it a good ‘go’.

Old 07-19-23, 01:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Never have I ever regretted a ride on my bike. Sounds like you enjoyed the ride well enough. So congrats on your ride.
Old 07-20-23, 05:58 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Good effort!
Old 07-27-23, 10:54 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
That's a ride!

I love that area, it's my cycling back yard.