Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Don’t we already know the answer to this?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-23, 09:14 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

I saw this brief item in the local fish wrap today. Maybe they were hungry for content??? I actually sent a message to the editor asking why it’s “news.” It’s a “Dog Bites Man” topic. Yeah, good that it’s being studied (again). But don’t we already know the results? — Dan

Last edited by Hermes; 09-07-23 at 10:12 PM. Reason: No posting copyrighted material
Old 09-07-23, 10:20 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
If "we" already know the answer, why don't you as a representative of "we" send the answer to Kevin Murach and request that he either return the $2.5 million to the NIH, or send it to "Us"?
Old 09-07-23, 10:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
We know quite a few of the answers, but not all the possible answers since the previous answers generated a lot more questions.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-07-23 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-07-23, 11:25 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Understanding the mechanism by which exercise protects muscle has potential clinical, scientific, and economic importance. Given NIH funding lines these days, this must have been a pretty damn good proposal.
Old 09-07-23, 12:02 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,839 Times in 2,231 Posts
MYC protein.
Hope it is plant based.

As an 'aged' and active cyclist + hiker = the results really don't mean much to me. I just have to look at the physical health of people my age, 70+.

Saw a dermatologist on Tuesday for a routine skin cancer check. Never met the female Dr. before the appt. "Nice legs, cyclist?" Guess maybe it was a give-away as I had shaved the legs just before Labor Day. It did make me smile.

edit: On a similar note.
They should also give grants to researchers in Kentucky, Alabama, Mississippi and W. Virginia = the only 4 States with a shorter life expectancy than Arkansas. . These 5 States also have the highest levels of obesity in the Country. Duh.

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-07-23 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-07-23, 12:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
I'd give the possible study results a "fascinating" rating. AFAIK, we don't know squat about that particular subject, which seems to me, with no doctorate in the organic chem of humans, very complicated. It's getting hard to read study results anymore with all this examination of subcellular chemistry. We have to rely on interpreters, trying to judge their possible monetary, political and scientific biases. Sure, we know exercise is good for us and especially for us geezers, but more details of the effect should be helpful, even though it might be in the realm of knowing more about the origin of galaxies. "So little time, so much to know!"
Old 09-07-23, 12:44 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Ask parrots why they live so long. They can talk. LOL
Old 09-07-23, 12:50 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
While we are taught in elementary school that exercise benefits us and we hopefully understand that it will lead to better health in aging, there is still a need for continued research. I'm sure the study is not going to end with a single paragraph that says old people can still exercise.

And there are grant dollars going to things that make less sense spending money on than this.

Old 09-07-23, 01:06 PM
MoAlpha
• —

A quick search says MYC protein plays a role in the control of cell growth. Pretty sure this project is aimed at laying out some of the critical steps between the mechanical effect of exercise and muscle cell growth or preservation, and to find out how aging affects them. One possible outcome from this type of work could be "exercise in a pill" for, say, people on prolonged bedrest.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-07-23, 02:18 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,839 Times in 2,231 Posts
A futurist - exercise in a pill - how wonderfully American.
Let's have a suntan pill too, so we can look outdoorsy year-round. Just not too Orangey.
Old 09-07-23, 05:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
A futurist - exercise in a pill - how wonderfully American.
Let's have a suntan pill too, so we can look outdoorsy year-round. Just not too Orangey.
"and the one's that Mother gives you don't do anything at all."
Likes For big john:
Old 09-07-23, 07:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
A quick search says MYC protein plays a role in the control of cell growth. Pretty sure this project is aimed at laying out some of the critical steps between the mechanical effect of exercise and muscle cell growth or preservation, and to find out how aging affects them. One possible outcome from this type of work could be "exercise in a pill" for, say, people on prolonged bedrest.
While posting on another thread, I saw a study where they gave whey protein to patients on chemo and found a major jump in muscle response at 40g/day. I was surprised at that quantity. IIRC, the study didn't have much information on the activity level of the patients. Hmmm. Maybe so. It didn't seem to me that MYC supplementation was in the offing, just trying to figure out how all that works.

We already have some of that in HMB. An older female friend who rides and hikes was like OMG that works! But only on that level for geezers, though I do wonder if young athletes are using it. I also wonder if exogenous is detectable.
Old 09-07-23, 10:14 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Moderation Note. Sorry guys, we had to delete the copyrighted material. Good topic. We suggest OP paraphrase the article and reference a link. We understand the article may be behind a paywall, however, that does not change the rules.
Old 09-08-23, 06:59 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
While posting on another thread, I saw a study where they gave whey protein to patients on chemo and found a major jump in muscle response at 40g/day. I was surprised at that quantity. IIRC, the study didn't have much information on the activity level of the patients. Hmmm. Maybe so. It didn't seem to me that MYC supplementation was in the offing, just trying to figure out how all that works.

We already have some of that in HMB. An older female friend who rides and hikes was like OMG that works! But only on that level for geezers, though I do wonder if young athletes are using it. I also wonder if exogenous is detectable.
I haven't heard of any younger athletes using HMB and my question is whether it works when you're getting enough leucine in the diet. Seems to me a slug or two of whey protein a day would take care of that. Who knows what them old folks is eating.
Old 09-08-23, 11:34 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
I haven't heard of any younger athletes using HMB and my question is whether it works when you're getting enough leucine in the diet. Seems to me a slug or two of whey protein a day would take care of that. Who knows what them old folks is eating.
I do know that another BF member and I started using HMB, but never heard if he realized any benefits. I can’t say it increased performance or reduced muscle soreness but we both experienced a decided slowing of our urine streams. Evidently with some ingesters, it affects the prostate. After discontinuing, I did not notice any decrease in performance or additional muscle soreness but urination output was restored to previous levels. For some HMB works without side effects, but am happy to be saving the money (and after-taste). Carbonfiberboy is enjoying the benefit and hope it continues.

I also stopped using concentrated beet powder after developing kidney stones (2 episodes) for the first time. After discontinuing, no recurrence. Just depends on each individual’s ability to metabolize.

Old 09-08-23, 01:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Leucine is about 10% of whey protein isolate, so 30g isolate = 3g leucine. About 5% of leucine is converted to HMB = .15g from the 30g of isolate. OTOH the recommended dose of HMB is 3g/day, 20 times as much or ~7 times as much as from 3-30g doses of isolate. HMB will even protect bed-ridden patients from muscle loss. My understanding is that HMB works better when combined with whey protein. The effect is quite noticeable.
Old 09-08-23, 01:12 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rsbob
I do know that another BF member and I started using HMB, but never heard if he realized any benefits. I can’t say it increased performance or reduced muscle soreness but we both experienced a decided slowing of our urine streams. Evidently with some ingesters, it affects the prostate. After discontinuing, I did not notice any decrease in performance or additional muscle soreness but urination output was restored to previous levels. For some HMB works without side effects, but am happy to be saving the money (and after-taste). Carbonfiberboy is enjoying the benefit and hope it continues.

I also stopped using concentrated beet powder after developing kidney stones (2 episodes) for the first time. After discontinuing, no recurrence. Just depends on each individual’s ability to metabolize.
I didn't notice a diminished stream, but I do have to pee more frequently. I'm willing to put up with that in return for having my youthful strength back. Beet powder is problematic. 1g/day of the active ingredient, sodium nitrate, does the same thing, no side effects noted in the past 20 years. The HMB dose needs to be timed, 1g before, 1g after, 1g 3 hours or so after.
Old 09-09-23, 08:47 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Moderation Note. Sorry guys, we had to delete the copyrighted material. Good topic. We suggest OP paraphrase the article and reference a link. We understand the article may be behind a paywall, however, that does not change the rules.
Originally Posted by AP article
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) — The effect of exercise on aging will be studied at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, thanks to a $2.5 million grant from the National Institutes of Health.
https://apnews.com/article/universit...21182ef5bcbe0#

Dan

​​​​​​​
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 09-09-23, 10:19 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I didn't notice a diminished stream, but I do have to pee more frequently. I'm willing to put up with that in return for having my youthful strength back. Beet powder is problematic. 1g/day of the active ingredient, sodium nitrate, does the same thing, no side effects noted in the past 20 years. The HMB dose needs to be timed, 1g before, 1g after, 1g 3 hours or so after.
I used HMB for a while. Found some literature about interaction between the prostate and hmb and saw no improvement, and felt the risk is not worth the possible benefit and stopped.