Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2 part Brooks saddle question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

2 part Brooks saddle question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 05:50 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
My favorite Brooks is the Team Professional. The shape is kind to me once broken in and the large , hammered rivets look very nice. I ride occasionally with a good friend who was having problems finding the right saddle . He rides a modern carbon bike and was interested in my Brooks saddles I have on many of my bikes. I loaned him a couple saddles , a B17 and a Team Pro. He ended up buying a Team Pro and it doesn’t look out of place on his $7k carbon Specialized racer. The paint on your saddle will come off using the method described by others , nothing harder than plastic , I would try the balm used for leather treatment and a cotton rag first . I had bought a very nice antique metal car (toy) that had paint splattered on it and , while I was watching TV , scraped at the splatter with my thumb nail. I got it all off and the paint underneath was unscathed.
This happens sometimes. Hit reply to thread and......
Old 11-07-23, 05:53 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,164 Posts
I bought a Team Pro 8 or 9 years ago, on sale. Large copper rivets. I have tried to break it in many times over the course if those years. Perhaps I will try again.
Currently riding a Selle Anatomica.
Old 11-07-23, 10:58 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Saddle soap and a fine tooth brush should be used to remove the paint. Let the saddle soap sit for a minute. That will swell and soften the paint making removal easier with less chance of damage to the leather.
Old 11-07-23, 11:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
My favorite Brooks is the Team Professional. The shape is kind to me once broken in and the large , hammered rivets look very nice. I ride occasionally with a good friend who was having problems finding the right saddle . He rides a modern carbon bike and was interested in my Brooks saddles I have on many of my bikes. I loaned him a couple saddles , a B17 and a Team Pro. He ended up buying a Team Pro and it doesn’t look out of place on his $7k carbon Specialized racer. The paint on your saddle will come off using the method described by others , nothing harder than plastic , I would try the balm used for leather treatment and a cotton rag first . I had bought a very nice antique metal car (toy) that had paint splattered on it and , while I was watching TV , scraped at the splatter with my thumb nail. I got it all off and the paint underneath was unscathed.
There is no bike that won't be improved with a Brooks.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-07-23, 11:26 PM
Duke7777

Bikes: 48 Alleluia, 52 Blondin, 57 Cattaneo, 68 CNC, 55 Dujay, 46 Herse, 76 Singer, 48 LeGreves, 55 Metropole, 62 Holdsworth Cyclone, 49 Carpenter, 55 Condor, 65 Masi Special, 81 Sequoia, 76 Eisentraut, 72 Proteus, 60 Paramount, 77 Trek TX700, 82 Ross

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 55 Posts
Brooks saddle dating

Originally Posted by Robvolz
Second question, the Bottom has some stampings, I heard a rumor that you can tell vintage by the stampings, and then I heard another rumor that the key to the stampings has been lost. Anybody know approximate age of the saddle?
I believe that stamping means April 2004.
Likes For Duke7777:
Old 11-08-23, 09:53 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
They set it aside for me at the co-op, and then charge me $10.

i’m thinking of donating it back to the co-op after it’s clean for the annual silent auction on December 14. I will send a link so people can bid online. I have a feeling that many people will lust after the vintage stuff like us.

First question, I see it has some white paint on it. I don’t know if this is from rubbing against a white painted wall or maybe it was wet paint when it went on. I’m frightened to use goof off latex remover in case that affects the leather finish.

other than using 0000, steel wool, are there any better suggestions?

The saddle came off of a JC pennies bike. Clearly not stock.

Second question, the Bottom has some stampings, I heard a rumor that you can tell vintage by the stampings, and then I heard another rumor that the key to the stampings has been lost. Anybody know approximate age of the saddle?
I don't understand your interest in the saddle. For early nothing you got a very nice Brooks Pro with big rivets, and you are interested in some potentially harmful changes without even knowing if it can be a good rider. Many Professionals are very good riders. If this is functionally good, you have gained a potetially great rider nearly for nothing, most likely even if the paint remains on it.

I would suggest mounting it up and using it for perhaps a month to see if it is in fact is as good a condition as it looks. While you're doing that, try rubbing the bits of paint off with the edge of credit card. I would not attack it with any abrasives, and I think an Xacto knife is risky. The leather actually looks great, except for the white paint. Also I would apply a little Proofide or Obenauf's, to see if the paint loosens up a bit. (not a LOT of Obenauf's!).