Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picked up a Bridgestone RB-2

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-22, 08:59 PM
partyanimal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts

Found this a few miles from me today listed for $100 so I went for it. Wasn't looking for a road bike but it's in great shape and I might see how big a tire I can get on this thing. Not much clearance at all with the brakes. Plan on keeping it but if I don't like it I'm sure i can at least get my money back for it.

Likes For partyanimal:
Old 03-01-22, 09:35 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Really nice frames on these. Perhaps different brakes might provide more room??
Likes For WGB:
Old 03-02-22, 03:34 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
I have Bridgestone self centering calipers available for trade...have no clue if they have more clearance though.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 03-02-22, 07:10 AM
partyanimal

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
I have Bridgestone self centering calipers available for trade...have no clue if they have more clearance though.
thanks, I'll keep this in mind. Not gonna have time to work on it for a bit and still trying to figure out exactly what i want to do with it.
Old 03-02-22, 07:19 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
That's a nice lookin' bicycle.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 03-02-22, 01:41 PM
partyanimal

Question for those in the know: Is the little nub on the inside of the headtube for a frame pump? If not, what is it? If it is, what would i be looking for in getting the pump that fits here?
Thanks
Likes For partyanimal:
Old 03-02-22, 02:15 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by partyanimal
Question for those in the know: Is the little nub on the inside of the headtube for a frame pump? If not, what is it? If it is, what would i be looking for in getting the pump that fits here?
Thanks
that is exactly what it is for frame pump

zefal HPx pump would fit great

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-02-22, 02:23 PM
partyanimal

Originally Posted by squirtdad

Exactly what I though (and what I'm looking for) thanks!
Old 03-02-22, 02:37 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Thanks
Originally Posted by squirtdad

Yup, a Zefal HPX woul dbe my choice as well. They come in four lengths, called HPx-1 (shortest) to HPx-4 (longest) Measure from the base of the little nub to the seat tube along the the underside of the top tube. Here is one place (Crust) that sets out the pump sizes based on your measurement. Here is another (Rivendell) that does, too. You'll notice the two give close, but not identical, measurements. I'm guessing your' need an HPX-3 or, but measure and check the tables.

Zefals aren't exactly cheap, but they work very well, last a long time, and are the best anti-dog devices out there should you ever encounter a Fido that doesn't play well with others.

I'd say $100 for an RB-2 (looks like 1992-94 era) in good shape is a good deal. They are a tad heavy (I think they used seamed tubing, which always weigh a little bit more than seamless tubing such Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL) but not bad. Anyone I've talked with who has ridden one says they ride very nicely. Bridgestones of that era were some of the best bang-for-the-buck bikes out there, with the RB-2 very much in that category. Enjoy.
Old 03-02-22, 02:49 PM
partyanimal

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Yup, a Zefal HPX woul dbe my choice as well. They come in four lengths, called HPx-1 (shortest) to HPx-4 (longest) Measure from the base of the little nub to the seat tube along the the underside of the top tube. Here is one place (Crust) that sets out the pump sizes based on your measurement. Here is another (Rivendell) that does, too. You'll notice the two give close, but not identical, measurements. I'm guessing your' need an HPX-3 or, but measure and check the tables.

Zefals aren't exactly cheap, but they work very well, last a long time, and are the best anti-dog devices out there should you ever encounter a Fido that doesn't play well with others.

I'd say $100 for an RB-2 (looks like 1992-94 era) in good shape is a good deal. They are a tad heavy (I think they used seamed tubing, which always weigh a little bit more than seamless tubing such Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL) but not bad. Anyone I've talked with who has ridden one says they ride very nicely. Bridgestones of that era were some of the best bang-for-the-buck bikes out there, with the RB-2 very much in that category. Enjoy.
Thanks, been doing some research, scouring through the catalogs on Sheldon Brown's site and I'm pretty sure it's a 93. As for the weight - I've never owned a road bike, just some other steel MTB/Gravel/SS bikes so to me this thing is comedically light. I did see the pumps on the Crust site, I'll need to measure when I get a chance. Trying to decide if I want to change out the bars for something like the on-one Midge bars. Already got 2 drop bar bikes and I prefer wider bars.
Old 03-02-22, 06:07 PM
rourkefan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Love that colour!
Likes For rourkefan:
Old 03-02-22, 06:14 PM
partyanimal

Trying to confirm the year, the serial number is H222915 which from my limited research put production at August of 1992 which I'm guessing makes it a 1993 model as I suspected. Finding limited info on the rest of the serial number. Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-22, 06:58 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I really wanted an RB1 in the worst way way back when. I had an MB1 and my brother in-law still has it.pretty cool bikes. I have some early brochures I will dig them up and try and post some photos when I get 10 posts.
Old 03-02-22, 07:14 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
somebody pmed me I can't answer pms because I don't have enough posts but I am not in the market for one. thanks tho
Old 03-03-22, 06:30 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
I refurbished an old RB-2 a while back. Super-interesting bike, and just FYI it was a smaller size than you have there, but I fit 700x35c commuter-type tires in there no problem. I've worked on a few Bridgestones at this point, and you really start to see the method to Grant Peterson's madness after a while. Always well-spec'd bikes, oddball parts working very well together, some really high-end stuff sprinkled in here and there where it counts. Enjoy!
Likes For PugRider:
Old 03-03-22, 08:17 AM
partyanimal

Originally Posted by PugRider
I refurbished an old RB-2 a while back. Super-interesting bike, and just FYI it was a smaller size than you have there, but I fit 700x35c commuter-type tires in there no problem. I've worked on a few Bridgestones at this point, and you really start to see the method to Grant Peterson's madness after a while. Always well-spec'd bikes, oddball parts working very well together, some really high-end stuff sprinkled in here and there where it counts. Enjoy!
Yeah after looking at it a bit more I figured i can fit something slightly bigger on there. Right now they have 23s.

Here's the page from 93 for this bike.
Likes For partyanimal:
Old 03-03-22, 10:29 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,711 Times in 2,613 Posts
I picked up an RB-2 for cheap on CL a few years back. Here's what it looked like when I got it:

And when I sold it:

I didn't do much more than test ride it after refurb, but it definitely felt really nice. If I didn't already have too many bikes, it would have definitely been a keeper.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-03-22, 10:47 AM
partyanimal

Originally Posted by nlerner
I picked up an RB-2 for cheap on CL a few years back. Here's what it looked like when I got it:

And when I sold it:

I didn't do much more than test ride it after refurb, but it definitely felt really nice. If I didn't already have too many bikes, it would have definitely been a keeper.
Nice. Man that spring seat looks terrible. Interesting you went from the barcons to the downtube shifters - was that just to make it more original? I like my barcons a lot on the bike i have, but i think I'll keep the current set up just to have something different.
Likes For partyanimal:
Old 03-03-22, 11:20 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Looks like the one I posted in the "Looking..." thread a few days ago.
Old 03-03-22, 11:59 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,711 Times in 2,613 Posts
Nice. Man that spring seat looks terrible. Interesting you went from the barcons to the downtube shifters - was that just to make it more original? I like my barcons a lot on the bike i have, but i think I'll keep the current set up just to have something different.
I was more concerned with functionality than originality--plus, those 8-speed Shimano bar-ends are much more useful for me to use on something else than downtube friction shifters.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-03-22, 12:51 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Found this a few miles from me today listed for $100 so I went for it. Wasn't looking for a road bike but it's in great shape and I might see how big a tire I can get on this thing. Not much clearance at all with the brakes. Plan on keeping it but if I don't like it I'm sure i can at least get my money back for it.

$100 for a decent quality road bike in the current pricing climate? If it fits you, I'd say you had a great find.