Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hyperventilating during a cycling dream?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hyperventilating during a cycling dream?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-23, 01:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
That said, I suspect there might be a forum here on BF which is a better fit for people interested in bikes as transportation. The 50+ forum probably isn't it. As you've noticed, lots of folks in that demographic are still interested in performance. I think that's to be expected. Just because someone ages up and their basal metabolic rate is eroding doesn't mean they've lost all interest in performance.
True, I suspect frequent riding for pleasure, relaxation, and even leisurely exercise doesn't stir the breathing rates, let alone imagination of cyclists obsessed with competing with their own metrics if not strangers on the MUP, and that every ride should serve the purpose of improving "performance."
I doubt that there are that many forums outside of the racing or road cycling lists where judging by the posts on 50+, the posters (of any age) seem so interested in suggesting or espousing adapting various fitness, training, nutrition, dietary, and vitamin supplement schemes principally as a means to maintain or improve cycling performance metrics.

Personally, I find it more useful to use bicycling as an enjoyable way to help maintain or attain personal fitness, among other psychic and physical benefits, rather than consider healthy fitness as tool to attain improved performance readouts on a cycling performance software program.
Old 08-05-23, 02:48 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan

Getting dropped sucks, but fighting (and succeeding) not to be dropped is a good experience.
Getting passed by random strangers doesn't bother me at all, I don't care. I don't participate in imaginary races....A good experience for me is a 50 - 60 mile low intensity zone 2 ride in mixed terrain while enjoying the outdoors and the world around me and getting fresh air. I use cycling as a health promoting activity and I don't care about chasing numbers or performance.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-05-23, 03:29 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
True, I suspect frequent riding for pleasure, relaxation, and even leisurely exercise doesn't stir the breathing rates, let alone imagination of cyclists obsessed with competing with their own metrics if not strangers on the MUP, and that every ride should serve the purpose of improving "performance."
I doubt that there are that many forums outside of the racing or road cycling lists where judging by the posts on 50+, the posters (of any age) seem so interested in suggesting or espousing adapting various fitness, training, nutrition, dietary, and vitamin supplement schemes principally as a means to maintain or improve cycling performance metrics.

Personally, I find it more useful to use bicycling as an enjoyable way to help maintain or attain personal fitness, among other psychic and physical benefits, rather than consider healthy fitness as tool to attain improved performance readouts on a cycling performance software program.
ILTB I think aging is a component of this issue, at least for some of us. I solved my concerns with what has happened to the 50 plus forum, by forming another group on Facebook of 65 Plus. Amazingly, we have little discussion on performance or competition with others for kudos in this area. Instead, we post our rides and pictures of what we are doing, and discuss some of the concerns with aging as several of us are in our 80s. So I come here if I want to read about performance, and I post to my own group and read my own group for other topics of interest. We have about 750 members.
Old 08-05-23, 04:33 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
ILTB I think aging is a component of this issue, at least for some of us. I solved my concerns with what has happened to the 50 plus forum, by forming another group on Facebook of 65 Plus. Amazingly, we have little discussion on performance or competition with others for kudos in this area. Instead, we post our rides and pictures of what we are doing, and discuss some of the concerns with aging as several of us are in our 80s. So I come here if I want to read about performance, and I post to my own group and read my own group for other topics of interest. We have about 750 members.
Gobicycling, seems that you have correctly analyzed the posting dynamics of the 50+ list, wisely started another discussion group for older cyclists more in line with your own and 750 other cyclists' interests. Bravo!
Old 08-05-23, 06:48 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Getting passed by random strangers doesn't bother me at all, I don't care. I don't participate in imaginary races....A good experience for me is a 50 - 60 mile low intensity zone 2 ride in mixed terrain while enjoying the outdoors and the world around me and getting fresh air. I use cycling as a health promoting activity and I don't care about chasing numbers or performance.
non-sequitur.

Getting dropped from a group ride is not being passed by random strangers and is not an imaginary race.
Old 08-06-23, 03:17 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
non-sequitur.

Getting dropped from a group ride is not being passed by random strangers and is not an imaginary race.
Find a slower group or just ride alone at your own pace and effort.
Old 08-06-23, 04:37 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
So what?
Old 08-06-23, 05:27 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Find a slower group or just ride alone at your own pace and effort.
I didn't ask for and don't need your bad advice.
Old 08-06-23, 05:45 AM
MinnMan

This thread was meant to be about dreams and sleep, not about getting dropped, but here is an anecdote from my ride yesterday that might illuminate why some here completely misunderstand the dynamic and the meaning of "getting dropped".

I was riding in the year's biggest event in the Twin Cities - the Tour de Tonka, on the century route, riding in a fast group of about 20. I was riding near the back because I had recently finished a pull. The going started to get harder because we had turned into a headwind, the terrane got more hilly, and some people were tiring. Some of the people in back, like me, were there b/c we had recently been in front, but some were people who had been staying there b/c they were sitting in and not up to riding in front. A gap opened up a few riders ahead of me, as somebody could no longer hold the draft. By the time I realized it, the gap was pretty significant and growing quickly. So I was being dropped.

I jumped into the gap with 2 of the other stronger riders. The others had no chance and did not try. The three of us worked extremely hard, trading pulls, to get back on to the group. It was the hardest I worked during the entire ride, but it was exhiliarating. Our success meant that I spent the last 1/3 of the ride riding with a big group of friends and, part of the time, enjoying the protection of the draft in a strong headwind.

The group finished the century with an average speed of 22.8 mph, btw.

More generally, I NEVER see posters in this forum denigrating people who ride "just for fun". I do see posts where people denigrate those of us interested in performance. If you take my post about my performance as an implicit criticism of your lack of interest in that, that is your problem.
Old 08-06-23, 05:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts

More generally, I NEVER see posters in this forum denigrating people who ride "just for fun". I do see posts where people denigrate those of us interested in performance. If you take my post about my performance as an implicit criticism of your lack of interest in that, that is your problem.
Exactly and they usually presume we don’t have fun too.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-14-23, 06:23 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I had a dream that I went to the LBS and, on a whim, purchased a Colnago V4RS on my credit card.
I woke up in a cold sweat, hyperventilating.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-18-23, 06:08 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts
Did she say how hard you were pedaling?