Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your jerseys

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your jerseys

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 05:44 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Show your jerseys

Creating this thread here in C&V since I know many love collecting the classic wool jerseys for both play and display.

Many like myself collect, not hoard , jerseys for favorite makers and models and events.

Its another area where N+1 can dominate especially since storage does not become a limiting factor like with bikes.

I have many for the makers and models I own and some of the events I want to pay tribute by wearing on some of my rides.

Im going to start off showing a Derosa jersey that I have which really is a symbol of my N+1 because I do Not have a bike to go with it.

Show off your jerseys and provide a little story behind the reason for ownership.
Bonus points for showing your jersey with your namesake maker or model especially if your riding your machine.

Last edited by joesch; 01-27-24 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-27-24, 06:42 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
I'll need to take pictures, but I have a Nashbar classic from the early 2000s which proved so WRONG as history actually unfolded.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-27-24, 07:25 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-27-24, 07:38 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts

Old 01-27-24, 07:53 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Chicago CTA Jersey

In action

[
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 01-27-24, 09:03 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts

Does a sweater count?
Perfect for this time of year.

Back , during Eroica in Paso Robles
I found this jersey on eBay right after I bought my ‘73 Windsor Profesional. Not a repro , original Lambertini from Mexico.

Last edited by Kabuki12; 01-27-24 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-27-24, 11:19 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
I have a number, but this one's official, and happily it still fits after thirty-three years.

Old 01-27-24, 12:38 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Our 2020 Spring Training get together with @Soup_Please. @northbend, @nlerner, @-holiday76, and @Spaghetti Legs included a stop at the famous (but sadly now gone) Bisbee Bicycle Brothel, where we saw this vintage jersey hanging on he wall:

This got me thinking. After sourcing the wool jersey blanks from Kucharik, I sent the picture, above to Spectrum Embroidery. They came up with a flocking transfer and applied it to our jersey blanks:

Old 01-27-24, 12:54 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 26 Posts
I was initially drawn to this jersey because I'm a fan of Selle Italia. It was an added perk to light up the face of my Colombian best friend when I sent him a picture. He knows nothing about cycling except the name Nairo Quintaña but he was very proud to be represented.

This second one isn't exactly vintage but it was the first jersey I've ever owned. I don't have any close friends who care for cycling but an old acquaintance of mine was coaching in BC at the time. Right when I started to develop more of an interest in riding, and not just for transportation, he sent me this. I don't wear it much anymore because it's not well represented on the back of a guy struggling to climb the most modest of hills.
Likes For The_Joe:
Old 01-27-24, 01:05 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts

At the finish of L'Eroica Italia, long route October 2012.
Old 01-27-24, 01:43 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
I seem to have acquired a few vintage jerseys over the years. I'll just focus on a few of the Raleigh jerseys, since that's the main theme.

The oldest is a Raleigh jersey from the early 70's. You can tell it's old by the front pockets. The use of embroidery for the Raleigh text is another hint. It's made of a very heavy wool... almost like a horse blanket.. and is only suitable for cool days.

I got it from a local friend who noticed my habit of riding old Raleighs, and thought I might use it. It's not easy to find a good day to wear it, though.

The jersey is a tiny bit famous due to it being used in an inset photo on the International page of a Raleigh catalog...

here's the jersey itself, hanging from my 1974 Raleigh International....

Another jersey is in the Raleigh Team colors and bearing the sponsor names of Campagnolo and McGregor. I'm not sure if Raleigh shops sold these. Presumably these were team replica jerseys?? Here it is seen hanging from my Raleigh Team bike. I think it's a wool blend, and not nearly as itchy or hot as the white jersey shown earlier. The text is applied flocking... is that the term? I'm not even sure what it is, but that was the usual method of the era.

The third jersey is also in the Raleigh team colors, but belongs to the Skunk River Cyclists, a.k.a. SRC, which was sponsored and led by Michael's Cyclery, a bike shop in Ames, Iowa. I grew up in Iowa and went to college at Ames, so Michael's Cyclery left an impression on me. The SRC had some of the nation's top riders, such as John Howard, Andy Hampsten, Jeff Bradley, and others. Here's a photo of one of the SRC riders leading a lap of the criterium stage of the 1982 Iron Horse Classic in Durango, Colorado.

and here's my jersey...

I've been fortunate enough to visit a couple of NAHBS when they were somewhat local. At the 2015 NAHBS in Louisville, Kentucky, I wore the white Raleigh jersey on Saturday and the SRC jersey on Sunday. The jerseys got a lot more attention than I was expecting! I had someone ask to take a picture of me in the white jersey, and a few folks stop to tell me about their days racing when wearing the SRC jersey. Curiously, I even had Rolland Della Santa pull me over to tell me stories about the SRC and the old days! Pretty cool!

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-27-24, 01:56 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Old 01-27-24, 02:56 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
I'm a very sentimental person.
Some of the best bike memories I’ve collected over the years were while wearing a Cino Jersey.
Cino (Heroica) is a magical ride. Most years the organizers would offer a jersey.
The jersey design changing nearly every year so they become instant collectors items.
Here are the best of the bunch, all of which were made by Woolrich:

The first one I got was back in 2011. I gave it to Gugie a few years ago.
P1030573 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

This one has crossed the USA and Western Europe. I don't suppose I'll never part with this one.
Photo courtesy Robert C. by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

My favorite ones have 5 pockets.
The orange one
To Home by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The blue one
2019 Cino Portrait (Nick VanHorn photo) by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Last edited by northbend; 01-27-24 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-27-24, 04:26 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts

Matt , I do remember! Great memory
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-27-24, 05:16 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
I love the pre-1980's jerseys with chain stitch embroidery. Found an artist locally that could do it, so had these jerseys embroidered. The Kypo jersey is a Raxar product from the 70's, most likely acrylic, but it doesn't say. The Pinarello jersey is a modern wool jersey from Oregon Cycle Wear.

More about chain stitch embroidery here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...lettering.html

Also got this Sergal wool jersey from the 70's which I love. Similar to the Danish national jersey from that time, but that may be coincidental - it's made in Italy. Unfortunately it has been shrinking over time (seriously!) and the zip is wrecked, so I don't think I'll be able to wear it anymore:

Last edited by P!N20; 01-27-24 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-27-24, 05:22 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 01-27-24, 05:34 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Not wool, and maybe stretching the definition of "vintage," but two of these former employers of mine don't exist anymore. The third is still around, but the go by PwC now.

BearingPoint...

Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 01-27-24, 05:43 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 161 Posts

My first proper cycling jersey, purchased 1984/5 from the World Famous in Auckland, New Zealand Doug Hills Cycles, Upper Queen St. Long gone but not forgotten, and all others since fade by comparison, although a Santini La Vie Claire and a wool/acrylic Panasonic Raleigh saw some extended mileage.

I can’t recall the maker, and haven’t seen another although later synthetic Ariostea team jerseys with highly dubious fish scales pattern surface regularly.
Old 01-27-24, 05:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
I love the pre-1980's jerseys with chain stitch embroidery. Found an artist locally that could do it, so had these jerseys embroidered. The Kypo jersey is a Raxar product from the 70's, most likely acrylic, but it doesn't say. The Pinarello jersey is a modern wool jersey from Oregon Cycle Wear.

More about chain stitch embroidery here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...lettering.html

Also got this Sergal wool jersey from the 70's which I love. Similar to the Danish national jersey from that time, but that may be coincidental - it's made in Italy. Unfortunately it has been shrinking over time (seriously!) and the zip is wrecked, so I don't think I'll be able to wear it anymore:

Wool can often be easy to "block".

Wash by hand in hot water then carefully stretch and blot blot out on clean towels, restretch a few times while it dries keeping it sprawled out on the towels.

You should be able to find someone to fix the zipper, find a tailor or seamstress that takes on small projects, you can ask at suit shops, dry cleaners and higher end clothing stores, Nordstrom, Macys and the like.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-27-24, 06:18 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Wool can often be easy to "block".

Wash by hand in hot water then carefully stretch and blot blot out on clean towels, restretch a few times while it dries keeping it sprawled out on the towels.

You should be able to find someone to fix the zipper, find a tailor or seamstress that takes on small projects, you can ask at suit shops, dry cleaners and higher end clothing stores, Nordstrom, Macys and the like.
Thanks! Wasn’t aware of blocking, will have to try it.

The teeth of the zipper are falling off, so it would need to be replaced. Just like components, any replacement would need to be OEM or a convincing replica. You’re right though, I probably need to ask around and see what can be done.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 01-27-24, 06:32 PM
Cissell

Bikes: Garozzo, Trek, Austro-Daimler, Gios, Pelizzoli, Cannondale, Colnago, Coppi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 12 Posts
Here’s mine from New Zealand…
Old 01-27-24, 06:53 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 220 Posts
Here’s a few. First three were given to me after the passing of George Van Meter, an alternate on the US Olympic team in 1956. I wear two of them from time to time.

Last one came to me at the 1990 Goodwill Games. Mrs. Spadoni and I volunteered at the track. She got a job in the rider’s area. Dirk Meyer of the DRR pursuit liked her Oakleys, and offered this up in exchange. Sadly, it got damaged in a move.
Old 01-27-24, 08:44 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Front pockets:
\

Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-27-24, 09:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by P!N20
Thanks! Wasn’t aware of blocking, will have to try it.

The teeth of the zipper are falling off, so it would need to be replaced. Just like components, any replacement would need to be OEM or a convincing replica. You’re right though, I probably need to ask around and see what can be done.
Very carefully is key, easy, easy.

You might want to try and source a zipper yourself, if you find the right capable person they might be more inclined to help if they don't have to find a zipper.

Oregon cycle wear might be a good place to start.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-28-24, 01:58 AM
merziac

Most of mine are modern repops, I do have a lot of newer wool that I use a lot, merino is almost always on board.

100% merino Bontrager

100% merino that was dirt cheap from NZ

Nod to Jens.

Many here don't like these but they were very recognizable and helped cement Moto CT's place in history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.