Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Old Ortlieb bag , what is this ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-24, 09:02 PM
Alexthe

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1978

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I picked up this Ortlieb bag from eBay, and I have no idea,

how to attach it to a bicycle, it appears to me, to be a rear pannier? Maybe it needs a mate, on the other side .?I want to use it, as a single . This looks like an old one I can tell by the insignia. How on earth does it attach and to what I do not know. it is a mystery to me. kindly advise if you've ever seen one like this thank you so much. The last picture is it in an upside down position, the first one is right side up
Old 03-17-24, 06:04 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
I think you are right that it is missing its matching identical mate. The clue to me seems to be the wide straps that appear to be velcro and one facing up and one down. My mind is slow right now but there are other things like that, where you make them all the same way, so they can join with each other, so you don't have just right-hand and just left-hand. So I think the velcro straps joined two identical bags together, and the strap area fit over the rear rack, no top clips for the rack.
Old 03-17-24, 06:11 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://www.ortlieb.com/usa_en/service

​​​​​​https://www.ortlieb.com/usa_en/contact
Old 03-17-24, 11:07 PM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think so too . And there made the same way , each bag one Velcro strap up one Velcro strap down the two mirror each other and hang right over the rack the straps with their adjoining clips must attach somehow I may have to play with it ( the Germans are really good engineers). I will contact the company and ask them perhaps they have an archive of directions for this particular bag which seems to me to be quite old. If I can find the identical mate, that would be interesting. My old French bike is a motobecane grand touring jubilee 1978 with the very good but common rear rack a "Pletcher " . It's got a spring loaded section. Not entirely sure how I may use this pannier , as a single. Maybe I can wrap the straps underneath the spring loaded section or tie it on somehow . I don't feel like modifying the bag if I can avoid it another one may show up somewhere.
Old 03-17-24, 11:45 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
They make double-sided velcro tape in different widths (hook on one side, loop on the other), it's called One-Wrap, sticks to itself, you can find pieces or a roll on amazon, or check a local fabric or camping supply. You could get a piece of that for an easy shoulder strap, it would attach to both current straps. You could also thread that around the rack in order to mount it as a pannier.
Old 03-18-24, 05:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,571 Times in 7,335 Posts
Tough to tell from those pics, but it looks like it could be an old handlebar bag. What are the approximate dimensions?
Old 03-18-24, 11:42 AM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nope not a handlebar bag the dimensions are 15 x 18. But I know how you're thinking because of the shape of the back plate. I haven't seen a picture of anything quite like it yet.
Old 03-18-24, 03:22 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Alexthe
Nope not a handlebar bag the dimensions are 15 x 18. But I know how you're thinking because of the shape of the back plate. I haven't seen a picture of anything quite like it yet.
Maybe use the notification function and ask the mods to move this thread to the Touring forum. There are a some old heads there.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-19-24, 03:19 PM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Maybe use the notification function and ask the mods to move this thread to the Touring forum. There are a some old heads there.
That sounds like a good idea. Would you kindly direct me on where I can learn, to use the modification function, and ask the thread to be move. Haven't done that yet on this forum t
thank you
Old 03-19-24, 03:24 PM
indyfabz

That sounds like a good idea. Would you kindly direct me on where I can learn, to use the modification function, and ask the thread to be move. Haven't done that yet on this forum t
thank you
On my iPhone, it’s the triangle with the ! in it at the bottom left. Hit that and send a message to the mods.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-19-24, 04:17 PM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
On my iPhone, it’s the triangle with the ! in it at the bottom left. Hit that and send a message to the mods.
Oh, on my computer screen the bottom left hand corner, does not have any symbols like, that I can see, I even change the form to mobile and could not locate said symbol.
Thanks
Old 03-19-24, 04:22 PM
indyfabz

Oh, on my computer screen the bottom left hand corner, does not have any symbols like, that I can see, I even change the form to mobile and could not locate said symbol.
Thanks
I have made the request.

FWIW, this is what it looks like on my device,

Old 03-19-24, 04:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Thread moved here from General

You can report a thread you want moved. It might give you some silly message that might make you think you shouldn't, but it's fine. On my browser, the report button is a red circle with an exclamation mark in the middle.
Old 03-19-24, 04:34 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
It's difficult to tell from here, but it looks like a commuting panier.

Not sure how it is supposed to mount. My LBS has a lot of ortlieb parts, and many others probably do too. Might be worth stopping by one if you have a nearby shop that carries paniers.
Old 03-20-24, 09:44 PM
Alexthe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Thread moved here from General

You can report a thread you want moved. It might give you some silly message that might make you think you shouldn't, but it's fine. On my browser, the report button is a red circle with an exclamation mark in the middle.
Thank you very much for moving it for me I appreciate it. And no one Guest what it, really was.... I forgot about such things. Because I sold my motorcycle many years ago. So it's a motorcycle saddlebag!!!. Who know!? Just like the financial crisis of 2008!. Now I have to sell it ,trying to find out what it's worth eBay? To find a nice used- old Ortlieb ((Bicycle))) bag should I put a wanted ad in the sales section,? has to be black or red, anyway they we are.
Anybody have a motorcycle??