Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Calculated BCD for TA chainrings/ is this right?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-21, 01:56 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts

Hello,
I recently received a group of TA chainrings from a friend whose father used them in the 70's. I thought that the crank that his dad used was a TA triple touriste. But don't know much about the TA line, so just guessed. I now have 12 chainrings ranging from 52 down to 26, all with the same 5 hole BCD.
Using the method of measuring from the center to center and multiplying by factor of 1.701 for 5 hole bolt pattern, For 38mm between two adjacent bolt holes, I got a BCD of 66.33 If I used 39mm, 64.6. Does this sound right? I cannot find this BCD anywhere! What am I doing wrong?
Please see attached screen shot for how I determined my calculations.

I do plan to offer these rings to BF members in the future and want to have correct BCD.

Many thanks in advance.

38-40mm rough estimate from center to center.

Last edited by Nubra; 04-03-21 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-03-21, 02:04 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5890 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
TA outer ring is 50.4 bcd but it made different inners. The cylotourist inners are 80 bcd. I thought that the smallest inner was a 26. In any case if the bolt hole diameters all line up with your small chainring, then they are all 80 bcd chainrings. The other sizes of TA rings were 152 and 116 bcd.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...otouriste.html

Sutherlands 6th has the smallest chainring at 26 teeth. It's a 6 bolt pattern. The BCD is 80; from hole center to hole center, the measurement is 40.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-03-21 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-03-21, 02:09 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Originally Posted by bikemig
TA outer ring is 50.4 bcd but it made different inners. The cylotourist inners are 80 bcd. I thought that the smallest inner was a 26. In any case if the bolt hole diameters all line up with your small chainring, then they are all 80 bcd chainrings. The other sizes of TA rings were 152 and 116 bcd.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...otouriste.html
How did my calucations go so wrong? I added a screen shot of the directions I followed to determine the BCD. Are these NOT TA rings?

Old 04-03-21, 02:10 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Nubra
How did my calucations go so wrong? I added a screen shot of the directions I followed to determine the BCD. Are these NOT TA rings?
I added some more info from Sutherland's 6th. 40 mm hole center to hole center is a 80 bcd and that's consistent with your measurements. Also it's a 6 bolt pattern.
Old 04-03-21, 02:12 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
T/A outer is the only one that is a 5-bolt, and all the ones that connect to it, the middle and inner rings, do so using a 6-bolt pattern that is also in the large ring's spider. The 46T ring in your first photo is one of those middle/inner 6-bolt rings.
Old 04-03-21, 02:16 PM
bikemig 

Right, 6 bolt pattern. Also the TA randonneur which has a 116 BCD goes down to 36; the TA Criterium which has a 152 BCD goes down to 43. You have 6 bolt TA chainrings smaller than 36.

Also with a 6 bolt pattern, you should be able to measure right across the chain ring using holes that are opposite to each other and get 80 BCD.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-03-21 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-03-21, 03:12 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by bikemig
I added some more info from Sutherland's 6th. 40 mm hole center to hole center is a 80 bcd and that's consistent with your measurements. Also it's a 6 bolt pattern.
Whoa, that is really really embarrassing? How could I miscount? Because I have never seen a six bolt pattern before this! Still no excuse.Thanks a million.