Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Coming Back

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Coming Back

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-10, 04:32 PM
Hammonjj

Bikes: Giant TCR and Giant TCX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming Back

So I spent the week moving my wife and I's house (furniture included) and didn't get the chance to ride at all until today. When I went out on the normal group ride my legs were TOAST from beginning to where I got dropped. Even during the warm-up to the mountains I could tell that things weren't going to go well.

I ended up dropping and just doing some L2/L3 work for around 2 hours, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips from coming off a week layoff.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-10, 04:37 PM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Funny you say that. I traveled for business all week and it's been seven days since my last ride. I usually try to ride every other day. I did 55 miles today and about an hour in my left knee started aching. It did that for the first couple weeks of this season but stopped as I rode more frequently. I could only surmise that the week off let my muscles get soft again and now I have to go through this annoying pain thing for awhile again.

Last edited by Accordion; 05-22-10 at 04:38 PM. Reason: couldn't spell "knee"
Old 05-22-10, 04:59 PM
dwr1961

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever you do, go easier than you think you need... A week is just short enough that it's easy to "put the hammer down" like old times - but your body obviously isn't ready for that! Especially if you've been doing all kinds of unusual lifting, twisting, pulling and pushing (i.e. moving).

It's easy to get hurt. Ask me how I know...