Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Excitement is Building!!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 06:48 AM
rdf37

Bikes: GT Grade Carbon Elite, Draft Single Speed, Torker Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 20 Posts

History...Bike Accident 2016
Result.... Two broken collarbones, shattered right shoulder blade, 2 broken vertabre, concusion, minor brain damage that resoled itself, several surgeries.
I then sold all my equipment and bikes except fixie that the wreck was on!
I healed but would never be the same. Gave up on cycling
2019... Tried rollar skating on an outing and put skates on and didnt even make it to my feet and broke my leg lol. Surgery and more metal enters my body
2022....Table saw accident that took off 1/2 inch of finger lol
Tally it up and I have 9 levels in back fused, rods and pins in leg, and a short finger. Why am I excited?
Because I love cycling and after all this, my wife and I both decided to get on bikes again! I just had another surgery Tues the 12 of March to replace a neurostimulator that went bad but then Monday before surgery I purchased an GT Grade Carbon Elite. It is staring me down and hoping I can get the doctors release to ride on the 27th of March ( that is 8 days from now and counting).
I am stoked to say the least and just wanted to share. I am 56 going on 57 and looking to regain my joy I get from just riding without any concern on competition and what others are doing. It is back to basics and just riding for the love of riding..
Anyway, thanks for reading and just enjoy the ride!
Randy
Likes For rdf37:
Old 03-19-24, 08:02 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Just wondering if all the fused vertebrae will make it difficult, or uncomfortable to be in a road riding position for long.

Dan
Old 03-19-24, 08:17 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
be careful!
Old 03-19-24, 11:41 AM
rdf37

Bikes: GT Grade Carbon Elite, Draft Single Speed, Torker Fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Just wondering if all the fused vertebrae will make it difficult, or uncomfortable to be in a road riding position for long.

Dan
Having been in a kyak last year a few times i was able to switch positions to get comfortable from time to time. Riding should work the same way which is why i went with the drop bars (hand position plays a direct role in position of hip to back. I am very mobile in spite of my medical issues. Time will tell as far as the geometry of the bike. It does put me in a more upright position compared to my race bike from the past. Comfort will be an issue if I am even the slightest off in bike fit. The 55 frame of the GT is the perfect to get fit dialed in. The concern is well noted and if the future does show discomfort beyond what I am capable of enduring....it will be off to the sale the bike world lol. These truly are all the things my wife and i talked about as far as choosing gravel over road and gravel over mountain.
Thanks you for the concern and for the thought
Randy
Old 03-19-24, 12:21 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
that looks like a good bike to get the excitement back with..... https://www.backcountry.com/gt-grade...te-gravel-bike

Old 03-20-24, 11:28 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
May be your nickname should be Lucky.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 03-20-24, 04:45 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)