Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

"Ravel Bike" - A New Bike Class?

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 11:04 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts

As my Road Bike use gradually declined over the years I ended up on the back roads more and more. Luckily I am in a neighborhood that has miles of no traffic, Up and Down, torn up asphalt roads. Gradually my ChroMo touring bikes transitioned into more gravely type bikes.

But my bikes no longer qualify to be called Gravel Bikes anymore. The Gravel Bike has a new standard and my old modified touring bikes don't fit the pattern anymore.

I just learned a new term. It's called a "Ravel" road surface. That's where the asphalt surface breaks down into small loose gravel, sand, and dirt. Wow! That's the ticket. That's all of my trails and routes. And the bikes I use to ride them are now called "Ravel Bikes"... So Be It... Ha

https://pavementinteractive.org/refe...sses/raveling/

https://superiorasphaltlc.com/5-comm...o-repair-them/
Old 07-20-23, 06:04 AM
MindDbike

Bikes: One suited for commuting and potentially for touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Zandoval,
I bought a REID bike to commute to work, it's classified as a "Roller Superlite Vintage Bike".
The description is "A classic style Vintage bicycle made with lightweight modern materials. Alloy frame and parts with sports geometry for a bike that not only looks good, but rides like a dream."
I am not sure how classic it is, since it says it has "sports geometry"... anyway I replace the single 44t chain ring with a bikinGreen 46/30t which is paired with a Shimano 7-speed (14-28t).
It has a aluminium alloy frame with steel fork. https://www.reidcycles.com.au/produc...metallic-black

Wouldn't it be great to have a online website where you can type in all your bike specs and then classify your bike according to the latest standards?
Regards

Last edited by MindDbike; 07-20-23 at 10:45 PM.