Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

braze on downtube shifter lever bosses on aluminum frame?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 07:38 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts

I would like to modify an aluminum frame to have downtube shifter bosses for some Shimano frictionless shifter levers. How can I accomplish this? Also, the down tube is not round. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-02-23, 07:41 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Something like this

https://problemsolversbike.com/produ...-shifter-mount

Just get a tube diameter and see what fits. I did a Google of “Bolt on downtube shifter mounts”
Old 08-02-23, 08:00 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Something like this

https://problemsolversbike.com/produ...-shifter-mount

Just get a tube diameter and see what fits. I did a Google of “Bolt on downtube shifter mounts”
The thing is the tube is not round. Do you suppose some kind of epoxy would be strong enough to hold the steel bosses on the aluminum frame? Do they make aluminum bosses?
Old 08-03-23, 07:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
I have read of using a heavy duty "hose clamp" that has had the shift bosses brazed to it as an adaptor. This could conform to a non round tube easily.

Another possibility is to use a through the tube shaft that has shift boss shapes that attach (thread on) to it's ends. Much like what Cannondale used for years.

However I do hope the shifters that wtll be used do have some friction to them, otherwise the lever will just return to the position the der's spring pulls it to. An indexed shifter has a huge amount of friction, just located at specific spots about the lever's spool. Andy (who as a kid wondered why anyone would want a date with two pits in it. One pit is enough, "pitted dates" to me meant more were added, not the one removed)
Old 08-03-23, 09:00 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I have read of using a heavy duty "hose clamp" that has had the shift bosses brazed to it as an adaptor. This could conform to a non round tube easily.

Another possibility is to use a through the tube shaft that has shift boss shapes that attach (thread on) to it's ends. Much like what Cannondale used for years.

However I do hope the shifters that wtll be used do have some friction to them, otherwise the lever will just return to the position the der's spring pulls it to. An indexed shifter has a huge amount of friction, just located at specific spots about the lever's spool. Andy (who as a kid wondered why anyone would want a date with two pits in it. One pit is enough, "pitted dates" to me meant more were added, not the one removed)
It makes total sense though and explains why pitted dates are more expensive. Think of the machines and hoppers with date pits that are required to install additional pits in dates.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 08-03-23, 12:11 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePower
It makes total sense though and explains why pitted dates are more expensive. Think of the machines and hoppers with date pits that are required to install additional pits in dates.
The New Yorker humor writer Calvin Trillin once wrote a very funny article on regional differences in chili recipes. He noted that one restaurant in Cincinnati, which offered chili in a bewildering array of variations, including "five-way" and "six-way" varieties, had a prominently displayed sign reading "CHILI WITHOUT BEANS - 50 CENTS EXTRA." Trillin said he wondered how much the professional bean extractors would have been paid so that the restaurant broke even on each bowl.
Old 08-03-23, 02:42 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
That chili is always disappointing, but it's apparently the best you can do in Cincinnati. So I always go there when I'm nearby.
With beans though, they can put the ones they took out of the "without" in my dish.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-10-23, 02:43 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
You could braze them on with TIG aluminium bronze. You could also TIG weld them but there's a good chance that using aluminium bronze would affect any heat treatment less. There are also kind of aluminium solder type things that you see people doing at very low temps with a blowtorch (just butane or something). Not very strong but might be good enough for shifter bosses.