Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

First ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-24, 06:14 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
First ride

Wow, just fantastic! I just finished cleaning greasing updating upgrading my 1975 Motobecane Grand Record. I rode the bike for about 20 years, then it sat in the basement for about 25 years. Way back in the day, when I first got it, I had started ‘upgrading’ some of the components: Campagnolo seat post and pedals, Dura-Ace rear brake and levers. I was a poor student so it stopped there. Now, 49 years after purchasing the bike and thanks to eBay, I pretty much finished ‘upgrading’ with Campy brakes and levers, period correct wheels - Mavic Super Champion rims with large flange Campy hubs and double butted spokes, all new new cabling, and a new, waxed chain. Possibly might ‘upgrade’ the BB and crankset to Campy at some point, but could not get the drive side part of the BB off. So original TA crankset and BB for now. The very last step will be wrapping the bars with red cloth tape. Not sure how old the tires are, they are Seta Criterium 28 x 22 sew-ups. The lacquer on the cloth is a bit dry rotted, but the tires hold air just fine. Guessing latex tubes because they do drop a bit of pressure overnight.

Anywho, I pumped up the tires to 110 psi and did a couple mile spin around the block. Wow, absolutely sublime! A world apart from my 15 lb carbon everything Kestrel, but such a beautiful, satisfying ride!

Last edited by Biker Pete; 03-06-24 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-04-24, 10:30 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Clement Criterium Seta tires are unobtanium. I had a couple of pairs of those and I've searched high and low for them in my house to no avail. They are the best riding tire I ever rode. The problem was I was riding in NYC and they just don't take that kind of abuse, at least not back in the 80s when I had them. Otherwise a very nice build you have there.
Old 03-05-24, 09:35 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
Beautiful bike!
Old 03-05-24, 11:34 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker Pete
Not sure how old the tires are, they are Seta Criterium 28 x 22 sew-ups. The lacquer on the cloth is a bit dry rotted, but the tires hold air just fine. Guessing latex tubes because they do drop a bit of pressure overnight.
Paint some liquid latex onto the sidewalls to restore and protect them.
Old 03-05-24, 12:20 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
Beautiful!
Old 03-05-24, 03:23 PM
Biker Pete 

Originally Posted by zacster
Clement Criterium Seta tires are unobtanium. I had a couple of pairs of those and I've searched high and low for them in my house to no avail. They are the best riding tire I ever rode. The problem was I was riding in NYC and they just don't take that kind of abuse, at least not back in the 80s when I had them. Otherwise a very nice build you have there.
Interesting! Now that I’m better at deciphering the label, these tires are actually “Challenge Criterium Seta extra” tires. And I now know that seta means silk. Might explain the silky ride!
Old 03-05-24, 05:02 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Yes, very nice! If the chainrings are healthy, I would keep the crankset as a nod to the bike's French origin.

oldschoolbike
Old 03-05-24, 06:18 PM
Biker Pete 

Originally Posted by oldschoolbike
Yes, very nice! If the chainrings are healthy, I would keep the crankset as a nod to the bike's French origin.

oldschoolbike
Indeed! I’m not terribly motivated to replace it at this point. Chainrings are in ‘decent’ condition.
Old 03-06-24, 02:42 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschoolbike

oldschoolbike
Very Bicycle Quarterly.
Old 03-06-24, 04:13 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
If you post over in the C&V forum you'll find a lot of fellow travelers