Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy-equipped Peugeot track bike: model name and age

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-24, 08:04 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,697 Posts

I've owned the bike since the late '80's - literally bought it from a little old lady. She said it was her husband's bike, bought when they lived in France in the 1960's, and that she'd begun riding it after he died, but she couldn't ride it any more, after injuring her back lifting an iron pot in an antique store.

So much for background. Mostly interested in knowing what the model designation might be. Campy throughout. Serial number on the left rear track end looks like 11029.

Old 03-12-24, 11:30 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4523 Post(s)
Liked 6,417 Times in 3,694 Posts
@Trakhak

Man that's cool.

Seems like track Pugs are very thin on the ground.

Livery jibes with 60's I think by the DT.
Old 03-12-24, 12:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7355 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,445 Posts
Very cool. I don't remember ever seeing a Peugeot track bike.

What are your plans for the bike?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-12-24, 12:57 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by merziac
@Trakhak

Man that's cool.

Seems like track Pugs are very thin on the ground.

Livery jibes with 60's I think by the DT.
Thanks!! My whole fleet, counting past and present, pales in comparison to your saliva-triggering list, but, as Spencer Tracy's character remarked of Katherine Hepburn in some movie: "Not much meat there, but what's there is cherce."

I took the Peugeot to ex-British Navy welder John Hollands for some minor work about 20 years ago. He put the frame on his alignment table, measured it here and there, and said it was dead straight - as good as the best non-custom frames he'd seen. I wonder whether Peugeot had a racing department in the '60's where the team frames and other top-end frames were built, like Bianchi's Reparto Corse.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-12-24, 01:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4523 Post(s)
Liked 6,417 Times in 3,694 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Thanks!! My whole fleet, counting past and present, pales in comparison to your saliva-triggering list, but, as Spencer Tracy's character remarked of Katherine Hepburn in some movie: "Not much meat there, but what's there is cherce."

I took the Peugeot to ex-British Navy welder John Hollands for some minor work about 20 years ago. He put the frame on his alignment table, measured it here and there, and said it was dead straight - as good as the best non-custom frames he'd seen. I wonder whether Peugeot had a racing department in the '60's where the team frames and other top-end frames were built, like Bianchi's Reparto Corse.
Tx, well many of them are sad languishing frames or crusty neglected completes.

Don't know about these and the race shop but pretty sure Pug had one too, somebody here should know.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-12-24, 07:47 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 223 Posts
Super cool, tho I've never seen a Pug with seat stays like that.

What kind of pop/soda can is that shimming the seat pin?
Old 03-13-24, 07:37 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Super cool, tho I've never seen a Pug with seat stays like that.

What kind of pop/soda can is that shimming the seat pin?
I think it's from a can of house brand lemon-lime soda sold by Giant, a mid-Atlantic supermarket chain. I've forgotten what was in there when I got the bike from the little old lady.

[Edit: I think she had the post all the way down so she could ride the bike. Maybe she had already pulled the factory shim out and didn't mind the loose fit, though that seems improbable.]

FWIW, the 1970's UO-6 Peugeots came from the factory with seatpost shims, as I recall from assembling them back then.

It's always mystified me why the bike has an undersized Campy seatpost (marked 26; shim measures 26.6 mm). Maybe the factory stocked very few because they sold so few 531 bikes with Campy components. Or maybe they sold track framesets and not complete track bikes, and this customer requested the Campagnolo group.

That might also explain what I've been unable to find any Peugeot track bikes in any of the brochures I've looked at on line.

Just found this 2007 Bike Forums thread where Peugeot seatpost sizing is discussed. One poster said 26.0 seatposts were used for thin-wall gaspipe tubing; another said they were for plain-gauge Reynolds. Not necessarily a contradiction.
Old 03-13-24, 07:45 PM
Trakhak

By the way, if you do an Advance Search in Bike Forums, you can type "Peugeot track" into the Keyword(s) box and find nine previous threads on Peugeot track frames. I seem to recall a thread (here or somewhere else) from about 10 years ago about an eBay listing for one of these complete Campy 531 track bikes, new in box. Went for a very reasonable (at the time) $1,100, I think.
Old 03-14-24, 05:12 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Tx, well many of them are sad languishing frames or crusty neglected completes.

Don't know about these and the race shop but pretty sure Pug had one too, somebody here should know.

Peugeot had a “service course” shop for building team bikes, but it did not open until 1974. They referred to it as the “Prestige” shop and it was on the grounds of the giant factory but in a separate building. I think that there is a very high likelihood that the pista bikes from the time period that the subject bike represents were built by “other hands”
Likes For El Chaba: