Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New helmet fit

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New helmet fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 12:23 PM
guacparty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New helmet fit

I recently ordered a Specialized Echelon in the large size. My head circumference is right on the border between the medium and large sizes according to their online fit guide, so I spoke to a customer service rep who recommended sizing up in this situation.

I’m wondering if the plastic bits (“trifix”) that connect the three pieces of webbing under my ears are sitting too low. These are not adjustable on this helmet.

Unfortunately, I don’t have permission to post photos yet, so I will try to describe the fit. The plastic pieces are sitting centered directly over the back corner of my jawbone, where the jawbone makes a right angle turn from horizontal to vertical. There are about 1.25 inches of space between the bottom of my ear and where the plastic piece begins. With the chin strap quite tight, the webbing straps that go from the plastic under-ear piece to the rear of the helmet have a bit of slack in them and are not taut.
Old 06-28-23, 01:56 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4605 Post(s)
Liked 5,144 Times in 3,178 Posts
Definitely needs pictures!
Old 06-28-23, 02:25 PM
guacparty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Definitely needs pictures!
Unfortunately as my account is new I am not yet allowed to post links or images. But let's see if this works - here's a video of me doing a fit check with the large helmet and then a medium: imgur dot com slash a slash 2FBWlG1

And photos of the large on my head: imgur dot com slash a slash JaHdcMA

Apologies to the mods if this is not ok - feel free to remove if needed. I genuinely can't think of another way to get help with my question.
Old 06-28-23, 05:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked 4,178 Times in 2,797 Posts
guacparty if you wish to post pictures get involved with the many active threads throughout the forum you need 10 posts to get there which is beyond easy around here if you like bikes and talking about them.
Old 06-28-23, 06:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 2,916 Posts
The straps are adjustable.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 06-29-23 at 12:54 PM. Reason: removed bad link
Old 06-29-23, 12:47 PM
guacparty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=shelbyfv;22938007]The straps are adjustable./QUOTE]

The chin strap is adjustable, but on this model, the "trifix" (the plastic connector that sits under the ears, joining the 3 pieces of webbing on each side) is fixed in place and not adjustable. Your link doesn't work for me but the manual that came with my helmet is pretty clear on this point (Specialized does make an adjustable version of the trifix piece on some helmets but not the Echelon II).