Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Deore MT60 6-speed thumbshifters in a 7-speed system?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-08, 09:10 AM
destro713

Bikes: Frankenstein 1980 (?) Takara 1x7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was thinking about grabbing a set of these shifters on eBay but I'm not sure if they'll work with my 3x7 drivetrain. The auction description notes:

They are actualy 6 speed but may shift 7 in certain applications. Please make sure they will work with your system prior to bidding if you plan on using them for 7 speed.
How would I determine this?

The shifters:
Old 01-23-08, 12:30 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by destro713
I was thinking about grabbing a set of these shifters on eBay but I'm not sure if they'll work with my 3x7 drivetrain......How would I determine this?
By buying them and hoping you get lucky. Me? I'd pass.

Six speed freewheels and 7-speed freewheels or cassettes have significantly different spacing and 6-speed shifters probably won't work well with a 7-speed cassette. Standard 6-speed cog spacing is 5.3 mm and 7-speed is 5.0. It's enough difference to matter.

I had the opposite problem with a used bike I bought a few years. The original owner had fitted 7-speed indexing shifters but kept the original 6-speed freewheel. The bike could be adjusted to shift adequately over about 3 cogs and then was very poor outside that range. A 7-speed freewheel fixed the problem perfectly.
Old 01-23-08, 12:48 PM
destro713

Bikes: Frankenstein 1980 (?) Takara 1x7

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm... yeah, I'll skip it then.

But, I do often see Deore 7-speed shifters that supposedly also work with 8-speed cassettes due to an "extra click" that is unmarked. Do the same problems come into play there, or do 7- and 8-speed cassettes have the same spacing?
Old 01-23-08, 12:52 PM
Rincewind8
Radfahrer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you switch the little lever of the right shifter from "SIS" to "F"(riction) it should work fine for a 7-speed system, but you won't have "clicks".
Old 01-23-08, 01:23 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Six speed are all over ebay for cheap becuase nobody wants them. Seven speed are very desirable OTH.

Tim
Old 01-23-08, 04:02 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
7 and 8-speed mix and match seem a bit more tolerant than 6 and 7. The spacing isn't exactly the same but it appears less troublesome.

As noted above, if you can do without indexing, friction shifters will work with just about any speed cassette.