Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 06:22 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Why Ride
Originally Posted by Biker395
So the subject came up among us endurance cyclists after our windy double last weekend ... why do you ride? I'm sure this has been touched on before, but I couldn't find the thread. And there are several new members here. So I thought I'd open (or reopen) that discussion.

One opined that the reason was the suffering.

Not for me. For me, lives are measured in adventures, not years. And endurance cycling is always some kind of adventure. Sometimes, the adventure includes a healthy side order of suffering (windy doubles qualify for me), but suffering is not my raison d'etre.

Cycle commuting is a different story ... I think I do that for three reasons(1) I hate traffic (2) I want to stay in shape (among other things, for theendurance cycling) and (3) it's just fun to ride a bike.

Et toi?
Originally Posted by Machka
Why ride?

Because I can't imagine life without bicycles. I've never known life without bicycles.
Dittoes to most if not all the replies. I have posted previously mainly as a motivation, my most existential reason to ride:
Originally Posted by A BF subscriber
At 70 yo, I'm not sure how many new conventional bikes are in my future, so I've been waiting a while for the "I gotta have one" bike for me to come out….
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi BF Subscriber,

Your opening sentence struck a particular existential chord with me. I’m a few years younger than you, but in the Medicare generation. Back in 2012, I was in a serious bike accident, and started to feel my age, and realize most of my cycling years were behind me. My beloved Bridgestone RB-1 steel bike was totaled…

I have previously posted about my most profound reason to cycle:
Several years ago, I had lunch with a couple of MD's and the discussion turned to the vissicitudes of life, such as sudden death, and trivial symptoms that are a harbinger of a serious disease. The conclusion of our conversation was that old chestnut to live life everyday to the fullest.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner said, "Well, any day with a run in it is a good day for me." I was already a serious cyclist for many years, but it suddenly clicked for me; any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.

Ever since then, I make a definite effort to ride my bike every day and I'm lucky to have a nice year-round cycle commute.….

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-06-17 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-06-17, 07:30 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
I started riding again in '08. Several factors made riding a good fit for me. Exercise, weight control, cost of gas back then. Riding is something I enjoy. It is both relaxing and intense. For that matter you can make any ride as intense or relaxing as you want. It all depends on what you want.

Suffering? Sometimes, but only when necessary. Never understood people who did something for the suffering. Maybe that's just me.
Old 04-06-17, 08:54 AM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I began riding about one year ago for fitness. Since then it has evolved into something else. Cycling has become my own "time machine". When I ride, I am transported back to the mid seventies, a nineteen year old in Germany riding my ten speed Peugeot through the towns and country side.
Old 04-06-17, 11:31 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
I imagine my "WHY RIDE" reasons were very much the same as many who posted, other than RETURN TO MORE YOUTHFUL DAYS , but so be it.

As for now, I ride to acknowledge that I am SURVIVING my diagnosed and treated AGGRESSIVE PROSTATE CANCER. The solutions I took for treatment were outside the box and at this point in time I am glad to be an outsider. Despite my current age of 66 and the physical condition I am in, I was still able to finish Sunday's https://spacecoastfreewheelers.com/events/xfl/ ride #19 on the list of this year's STRAVA riders.
Old 04-06-17, 11:50 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Why ride?

Why not?
There you go, best answer-question so far.
Old 04-06-17, 12:03 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Despite my current age of 66 and the physical condition I am in, I was still able to finish Sunday's https://spacecoastfreewheelers.com/events/xfl/ ride #19 on the list of this year's STRAVA riders.
Great job on that ride OldTryGuy! Please post your Strava link so I can understand the ride better. You did it in one day, right?

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-06-17, 12:19 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'm a musician, and after a spectacularly bad gig, I was describing it to my spouse. She asked: "Why do you do it, if it's such a drag?"

It's just something that I have to do, even if I know it's going to be bad. Cycling is kind of the same way.
New to STRAVA so hope this works......

https://www.strava.com/activities/92...ts/22604877528

supposedly 24th of all recordings to date**********
Old 04-06-17, 11:51 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
It's how I find my zen.

Riding turns any day into at least a bit of an adventure.

It brings together sensations from all of my other favorite sports/activities. Motor racing. Sailing. Climbing a mountain peak.

I also like turning wrenches and working on cars is now more about electronic diagnosis and computer chips.
Old 04-07-17, 06:07 AM
albireo13

Bikes: Felt F75X, 2017 Giant Defy Advanced1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... to keep up with my Ironman wife!
Old 04-07-17, 12:54 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
So that I can drink wine.
Old 04-07-17, 05:06 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
It started out as a way to lose weight and improve my cardio system but it quickly turned into an addiction. I get very cranky if I can't do my daily, 40-60 mile rides. Just ask my wife!
This one I can identify with. However, 40-60 miles per day doesn't fit my daily schedule. My wife still works for another 8-9 months. Until then, I do the yard work (snow removal as necessary), housework, laundry, cleaning but she is the primary cook, and an excellent cook she is! I really got into cycling as support for quitting smoking a few years ago. There are some geeky aspects that appeal to me, gadgets, etc. and apps such as Strava. Love the numbers part of the game. I used to have a 24 mi. route I rode regularly until breaking a leg last fall. Hoping to get back in shape to do this again this year on a new bike.
Old 04-07-17, 05:19 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Why ride?

Because I can't imagine life without bicycles. I've never known life without bicycles.

Old 04-07-17, 06:19 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Why ride?

Setting aside the health benefits, communing with nature, and those special moments with the wind at my back on a -1% grade . . .

I do my best thinking on the seat of a bicycle.
Old 04-07-17, 08:04 PM
Piratebike

Bikes: 2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520, 2016 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2017 Trek DS 4

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because I already had a heart attack in late 2009 and I need some way to try and stay alive longer. By knees and back have been through too much to run or hike. So riding gets me some exercise. It's fun too. Reminds me of being a kid again.
Old 04-07-17, 08:57 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
those special moments with the wind at my back on a -1% grade . . .
GLORIOUS, that!

i am a mtn biker and i ride for fun. my bliss is riding a bike thru the woods, or thru the desert, as the case may be.
all other riding is to support that, directly or indirectly.

as to the suffering... i don't embrace the pain because i want to suffer. i want to be able to climb a trail without stopping. there is a lot of satisfaction in pushing thru the pain to reach a goal.
Old 04-07-17, 09:05 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I just ride for fun.
Old 04-07-17, 10:51 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I would worry about the person the OP claimed "its for the suffering". Why would anyone want to suffer. Cycling should be fun, not pain.
Old 04-08-17, 08:47 AM
Jim from Boston

So the subject came up among us endurance cyclists after our windy double last weekend ... why do you ride? I'm sure this has been touched on before, but I couldn't find the thread. And there are several new members here. So I thought I'd open (or reopen) that discussion.

One opined that the reason was the suffering.
Originally Posted by rydabent
I would worry about the person the OP claimed "its for the suffering". Why would anyone want to suffer. Cycling should be fun, not pain.
Other than my previous existential post above, I ride for more mundane reasons, primarily fitness. I have developed for myself a defined semi-quantitative training program:
...last year I developed for myself my" Time-restricted, Personally Ambitious, but Non-competitive Cyclist Training Routine,"…based on Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE).” My basic premise was that I wanted to get significantly fit, within a busy work/family time-crunched life, but not suffer so much that I would abandon the program.

I do have the advantages of a very nice minimum 14 mile one way commute that is easily extended; and a high end, very comfortable carbon fiber road bike that encourages riding.

The RPE scale ranges from 6 to17, with descriptions of the intensity. Multiply the RPE by 10 is the approximate heart rate. Jim's scale is the equivalent on a 0 to 100 scale, easier to think about…My basic training is to ride at my RPE of 50% for six miles to warm up, then cruise at an RPE of 60%, and do intervals (on hills) at 70% [described as“hard”; 60% is “somewhat hard," and 80% is “very hard" (lactate threshold;breakpoint between hard but steady breathing and labored with gasping.
50% is "fairly light" (my usual happy-go-lucky pace without thinking about it)).

I try to change gears to maintain a cadence of about 85-90 rpm on flats and rolling hills, and about 60 to 80 rpm on harder hills, to maintain my RPE. Shift up to higher gears as the cadence rises, and shift down as the RPE increases.
Secondary to that I set up (frequently missed) mileage goals to ride in the manner described. Because I'm so busy (work/family time-crunched life), mileage goals get me out on the bike more than I would otherwise ride just for pleasure.
Originally Posted by tsl
…I was concerned about getting decent miles in…It takes me 50 miles a week just to feel good and normal, I feel fantastic over 100 miles a week, and like Superman over 150
I particularly agree with your assessment of weekly mileage, though at over 150 miles per week, I call it hyper-fit
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
for the new members, by "double" I take to mean double century, as-in 200 miles in one day. correct? impressive, I could never. but I'm willing to dedicate a full day to cycling & cycling related activities. for me, it fills my empty days
In a way, I think what qualifies as "endurance" depends on the rider...

Empty days? Damn ... that is an alien concept to me. At this point in my life, I have so many competing interests and demands, I have to block out time for things I want to do, or time goes sailing by.
So true...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-08-17 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-08-17, 11:42 AM
ironknee

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite DSW

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Suffering a little is good for you. You build tendon, muscle, heart, lung, character and fortitude.

If everything was fun in life, all the time- I'm sure we'd find a way to gripe about that too
Old 04-08-17, 12:01 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
I ride because:

• I can
  • I enjoy it
  • It makes me feel much better physically - sometimes for days afterwards
  • exercise/cardio
  • peace of mind
  • fresh air
  • sights/sounds of Nature
  • healthy alternative to being a couch potato
  • I still can - some 45 years after starting to ride solely for personal enjoyment
Old 04-08-17, 12:08 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I have a theory that sporting activities, cycling, skiing, tennis, whatever, are an entry to the phenomenon known as a peak experience. During a peak experience we are fully engaged, mentally and or physically and are at our happiest and most alive. I suspect that some other activities accomplish the same thing such as mathematics or music.

There are times during a ride when miles flow by with hardly any effort. I've had a similar experience on week long packpacking trips where I suddenly realize I have no memory of the past few miles. I've had the experience playing tennis, where that experience is known as being in the zone and I could not miss.
Old 04-08-17, 01:16 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by berner
I have a theory that sporting activities, cycling, skiing, tennis,whatever, are an entry to the phenomenon known as a peak experience. During a peak experience we are fully engaged, mentally and or physically and are atour happiest and most alive. I suspect that some other activities accomplish the same thing such as mathematics or music.

There are times during a ride when miles flow by with hardly any effort. I've had a similar experience on week long packpacking trips where I suddenly realize I have no memory of the past few miles. I've had the experience playing tennis, where that experience is known as being in the zone and I could not miss.
I am familiar with the terms “peak experience,” and “being in the zone.” I personally subscribe to a “lifestyle,” described in the book, “The Power of Full Engagement.”
I have been greatly influenced by a book, The Power of Full Engagement byJim Loehr and Tony Schwartz with the basic concept that “Managing Energy,Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal.”
For example, riding my ride bike to work energizes me at the expense of a half hour longer commute, a good investment. IMO full engagement, if not the same as peak experience, is a sure path to it.

BTW, Dr. Jim Loehr is a world-renowned performance psychologist. A sampling of his elite clients from the world of sport include tennis players Jim Courier, Monica Seles,and Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario. In 2014, he was inducted to the Professional Tennis Registry Hall of Fame.

The other author, Tony Schwartz was the co-author with Donald Trump on the “Art of the Deal.”

Old 04-08-17, 02:15 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Bicycling is the only activity I enjoy that some folks mistake for "exercise".
OK, that's quoteworthy.

Old 04-08-17, 03:37 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I started riding because of gridlocked roads and a lack of parking. I nod sympathetically and keep quiet when someone describes how today's trip to work took an hour and a half.
Old 04-08-17, 03:45 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
My story or take on this.

I guess for me it is long and even evolutionary. Like some I started as a kid and it was I ride for freedom. In College it was the 70s bike boom and it seemed revolutionary and fun. Early working years I did some commuting and it was a form of rebellion. Life got in the way and it took years before I got back to cycling for exercise and entertainment. Retired and slowly got into group rides and it became more of a driving force. Fell for the suffering part and even managed to get into the old Furnace Creek 508 even if I never wanted to do the RAAM. Weight was down, all systems were go and one day climbing out of a canyon and trying to set a Strava PR I got a bit of a chest pain. Ended up with a quad bypass and a long lay off. Asking the doctor why with great cholesterol and good BP did I end up in the hospital? Genetics was his answer. Family history. I am back at it but now it is for fun without suffering. I ride both road and MTB plus have acquired a FG/SS for coffee shop rides. I will stop and take pictures, put in 60 miles along the beach or do a 25 mile cross country on the MTB. But as soon as it stops being fun I turn for home and put my feet up. I ride because I still can and I still want to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.