Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Nine days and counting

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Nine days and counting

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 10:36 AM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nine days and counting

It's day nine since my total right hip replacement and I think things are going quite well. I am about 95% independent. Not driving yet of course and hope to begin riding in three to four weeks. My bike hanging in the garage is a constant reminder and incentive. I hope by the end of next week I'll be capable of giving her a full cleaning and tuneup. In the meantime, with the help of my awesome wife, we've been driving my routes, verifying distances and directions, and drawing new maps. I know, why do this manually when gps and free apps are available? Well, I have time to spare now. It keeps me involved in my love of riding even though I can't ride yet but more importantly, I think that eyes on the actual route provide info that gps and apps cannot such as sounds along the route, wildlife, and other things that only experiencing the ride reveal. While in the hospital, I discovered one of the nurses' aides was a cyclist and had been looking for new routes. I will be giving her an updated map, cue cards, and synopsis of my most favorite 49 miler. If I can figure out how to post that information on this site, I will for those who live in Central Texas or plan on visiting.
Old 06-21-17, 01:34 PM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschool56
It's day nine since my total right hip replacement and I think things are going quite well. I am about 95% independent. Not driving yet of course and hope to begin riding in three to four weeks. My bike hanging in the garage is a constant reminder and incentive. I hope by the end of next week I'll be capable of giving her a full cleaning and tuneup. In the meantime, with the help of my awesome wife, we've been driving my routes, verifying distances and directions, and drawing new maps. I know, why do this manually when gps and free apps are available? Well, I have time to spare now. It keeps me involved in my love of riding even though I can't ride yet but more importantly, I think that eyes on the actual route provide info that gps and apps cannot such as sounds along the route, wildlife, and other things that only experiencing the ride reveal. While in the hospital, I discovered one of the nurses' aides was a cyclist and had been looking for new routes. I will be giving her an updated map, cue cards, and synopsis of my most favorite 49 miler. If I can figure out how to post that information on this site, I will for those who live in Central Texas or plan on visiting.

Other suggestions (meant to be ):
1. Read lots of Bike Forums
2. Shop for that perfect N+1
3. Start a discussion in A&S about 'taking the lane' and then run for cover
4. Download every cycling related app to your phone, and rate all their features here.
5. Create an alternate personna
Old 06-22-17, 02:37 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NewATBikeComute
2. Shop for that perfect N+1
Make sure you work out what you might be tempted to spend and triple it so you're not actually tempted to go out and buy it. Custom frame builders are a good choice here

5. Create an alternate personna
... and start a flame war with yourself