Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava and military bases in the news

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-18, 09:49 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

Maybe people have already seen this, but Strava is in the news because there's a heat map view of all public Strava data combined, and people are taking it to reveal the locations and internal layouts of overseas military bases, including some for which the location was not previously acknowledged.

https://medium.com/strava-engineerin...r-23fc01d301de

twitter DOT com/arawnsley/status/957356785442152448
twitter DOT com/Nrg8000/status/957318498102865920
twitter DOT com/AlecMuffett/status/957615895899238401

https://freethoughtblogs.com/stderr/...-was-too-easy/

Strava has responded by saying, in essence, "hey, people, when you don't make your routes private? that means they're public." Which is important to remember.

https://blog.strava.com/privacy-14288/

Last edited by rseeker; 01-29-18 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Remove reference to "black sites" in favor of a less-loaded term
Old 01-28-18, 10:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
That is good news. Everything a government does should be public if they are claiming they are a democracy. One does not need secrets in a government of the people, by the people and for the people, it leads to bad things.

Also big kudos to all those overseas in those bases cycling : ) Maybe if we all biked together there might be a little less strife in the world. Instead of wars just create teams and have them all face off on a bike race and have fun.
Old 01-28-18, 10:06 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Not Strava's fault at all. There's a privacy setting and the user didn't set it.

Just because you have a top secret clearance...doesn't mean you're smart.
Old 01-28-18, 10:58 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Old 01-28-18, 11:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This is non news.

The whole thing is a non-story driven by two or three developers and IT security guys on Twitter who spend all their time tweeting about secret US military bases, black ops, conspiracies and complaining about incompetency at the CIA.

The links provided by the OP don't even make sense relative to the story vis a vis using Strava to map military bases.

The medium.com and strava.com links are about Strava and don't mention the military, CIA, pentagon, black ops sites, area 51 or anything else about this topic at all. They are just about strava's heat map and privacy settings, that's all.

The freethought blog is the opposite - it is about military bases but has nothing to do with Strava. Strava is not mentioned in the article at all.

Non news. Nothing to see here.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-28-18 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 12:31 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Er, no, this is real news Fitness tracker Strava lights up military base - BBC News.

Good on the military I say, they should be encouraged to make more information public. I’m with veganbikes on this.
Old 01-29-18, 01:00 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This is non news.

The whole thing is a non-story driven by two or three developers and IT security guys on Twitter who spend all their time tweeting about secret US military bases, black ops, conspiracies and complaining about incompetency at the CIA. [..] The links provided by the OP don't even make sense relative to the story vis a vis using Strava to map military bases. [..] The medium.com and strava.com links are about Strava and don't mention the military, CIA, pentagon, black ops sites, area 51 or anything else about this topic at all. They are just about strava's heat map and privacy settings, that's all.

The freethought blog is the opposite - it is about military bases but has nothing to do with Strava. Strava is not mentioned in the article at all.
Tim, FYI, I don't have an agenda other than sharing a story interesting to bike people. I think the story here is that with so much data collected in so many different ways, we should expect it to be combined to reveal things previously hidden. About the freethought blog, I had the feeling I might be stirring things up with that because it has a slant, and you're right, it doesn't mention Strava, but I think it's part of the story because it shows working with one data source which is part of the overall picture. The images from the freethought blog match up with Strava data shown in other places.

I didn't look at *other* posts by people I linked. The pictures in the linked posts were relevant IMO.

Now back to replacing my right-hand indexed grip shifter, which has degraded into a continuously-variable friction shifter.

Last edited by rseeker; 01-29-18 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 02:13 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This story is now being reported by many newspapers. I've always thought blogs not necessarily the best of sources. I wouldn't comment about twitter. However, sites like the BBC do have to research their news stories thoroughly before presenting them so can generally be quotede without a qualm.
Old 01-29-18, 04:30 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
ride more. suppress less.
Old 01-29-18, 05:09 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Good on the military I say, they should be encouraged to make more information public.
Not if it puts the life of military personnel in danger. The public has absolutely no need to know the exact layout of all our bases. It affects your freedom in no way whatsoever.
Old 01-29-18, 05:45 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Yes there is a need for certain secrecy against the public, else there would be no need in having a defence system in the first place.
Old 01-29-18, 05:45 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don’t see that. Also, it applies to bases for any country where strava is popular, which includes many more countries than just the US.
Old 01-29-18, 05:54 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Not if it puts the life of military personnel in danger. The public has absolutely no need to know the exact layout of all our bases. It affects your freedom in no way whatsoever.
I guess I don't understand the Strava issue in this regard. You can just pull up Google satellite image of, for example the Kandahar Air Base, and get all the detail one might need.
Old 01-29-18, 07:44 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I guess I don't understand the Strava issue in this regard. You can just pull up Google satellite image of, for example the Kandahar Air Base, and get all the detail one might need.
I don't use Strava but I think it's more about revealing where high traffic areas are. For instance, if I was a terrorist and wanted to blow troops up at Ft. Bragg I know the absolute perfect places where I could destroy a whole platoon while they're doing a morning run on the firebreaks in the woods. Someone who hasn't been in the military there would have no clue. The same would apply to any military base in the world, secret or not, because troops do PT wherever they are. Some places you wouldn't even be able to spot on google like tiny FOB's in the middle of nowhere in Afghanistan. Even if they aren't running PT out of there they go on patrols and the young troops nowadays are using Strava wherever they go. Basically, Strava is letting people track the movement of troops.

I bet one million dollars by the end of the week the department of defense will have already put orders out banning soldiers from using Strava after this news. Nobody should worry, it won't take away their freedoms lol
Old 01-29-18, 07:48 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
$20 this ends in p&r...
Old 01-29-18, 08:10 AM
Lazyass

Yeah I just looked at the Strava heat map in Afghanistan. There's lots of places showing tracking and I doubt it's the Taliban or Iraq's Quds forces haha
Old 01-29-18, 08:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
$20 this ends in p&r...
Wouldn't touch that bet with a thirty-two and a half foot pole.
Old 01-29-18, 08:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
else there would be no need in having a defence system in the first place.

Old 01-29-18, 08:39 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I don't use Strava but I think it's more about revealing where high traffic areas are. For instance, if I was a terrorist and wanted to blow troops up at Ft. Bragg I know the absolute perfect places where I could destroy a whole platoon while they're doing a morning run on the firebreaks in the woods. Someone who hasn't been in the military there would have no clue. The same would apply to any military base in the world, secret or not, because troops do PT wherever they are. Some places you wouldn't even be able to spot on google like tiny FOB's in the middle of nowhere in Afghanistan. Even if they aren't running PT out of there they go on patrols and the young troops nowadays are using Strava wherever they go. Basically, Strava is letting people track the movement of troops.

I bet one million dollars by the end of the week the department of defense will have already put orders out banning soldiers from using Strava after this news. Nobody should worry, it won't take away their freedoms lol

It isn't just Strava. Although in this instance they were the visible problem

The problem is fitness trackers are hardware data-miners. That is their base function. Carrying ANY device that relays your geographical whereabouts to the internet, when your job explicitly entails "undisclosed" whereabouts...is just a colossally dumb idea. Bonus 10 points for the DoD for wanting to address the obesity problem in the military....but minus several thousand points for not thinking this through.

But, yup. COs are probably going to demand all fitness trackers from their underlings before the end of the week.

The problem goes further...because we in the USA basically tell companies they can data mine consumers to their heart's content so long as there's a TOS/EULA that no one ever reads. There really is no privacy WRT metrics or user data. What is more even financial institutions put an abysmal amount of effort into securing user data....which combine with the military using consumer hardware on the battlefields--leads to something rather inevitable. Strava might not have had a public heatmap--but an enterprising soul could have breached Strava's servers and gotten it anyway. For all we know that has already happened more than once and Strava simply hasn't admitted it or doesn't know it.

There really is zero accountability WRT data security in the USA.
Old 01-29-18, 08:45 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Exactly. I spent a good bit of my carreer working on military installations all over the lower 48. As long as you had a legitimate reason to get in the main gate, you had pretty much free movement throughout with the exception of more restricted areas. Of course this was before the era of handheld cellular and gps technology available to the general public. Most all places I work nowadays have strict rules against cell phones, especially with cameras. Immediate termination if caught taking pictures. Enforcement can be pretty lax at times. Just another example of the DoD being slow to the punch IMO.
IBTM
Old 01-29-18, 08:53 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Exactly. I spent a good bit of my carreer working on military installations all over the lower 48. As long as you had a legitimate reason to get in the main gate, you had pretty much free movement throughout with the exception of more restricted areas. Of course this was before the era of handheld cellular and gps technology available to the general public. Most all places I work nowadays have strict rules against cell phones, especially with cameras. Immediate termination if caught taking pictures. Enforcement can be pretty lax at times. Just another example of the DoD being slow to the punch IMO.
IBTM
A few months before I retired in 2010 my commander and I were walking through the barracks one morning while the troops were out. We saw one door cracked open and went inside. It was a guy who was off duty, but we smelled something funny like incense. This guy was so wasted he couldn't even talk. Turns out he had been smoking that fake marijuana you could buy at the gas station. I had never even heard of it. The guy was lucky because it wasn't illegal but we sent word up and five days later the DOD classified it as an illegal drug. AND then we still busted a few guys for it before I left, they got kicked out of the army.
Old 01-29-18, 09:00 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Er, no, this is real news Fitness tracker Strava lights up military base - BBC News.

Good on the military I say, they should be encouraged to make more information public. I’m with veganbikes on this.

Non news.

BBC picked up the story from some twitter feeds including Nathan Ruser.

Nathan Ruser is a 20 year old college student. He claims to work for an organization called the Institute for United Conflict Analysists but the organization doesn't exist apart from a facebook page and posts on military and security message boards.

The other two are similar. This is three guys on twitter trying to make names for themselves. It is non news.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-29-18 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 09:03 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Non news.

BBC picked up the story from Nathan Ruser's twitter feed.

Nathan Ruser is a 20 year old college student. He claims to work for an organization called the Institute for United Conflict Analysists but the organization doesn't exist apart from a facebook page and posts on military and security message boards.

This is three guys on twitter. It is non news.

-Tim-
The DOD will still ban Strava if for no other reason than just because it's in the news and they'll get asked about it. No doubt about that.
Old 01-29-18, 09:28 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts

I see your point, but I'm not convinced it's critical.
Old 01-29-18, 09:30 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I see your point, but I'm not convinced it's critical.
Critical or not, the DOD has already put out a statement

“DoD takes matters like these very seriously and is reviewing the situation to determine if any additional training or guidance is required, and if any additional policy must be developed to ensure the continued safety of DoD personnel at home and abroad”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.