Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Buying the edge 705 in bits

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 02:20 PM
Crast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay, so I decided I want to buy an Edge 705. I found that on average,

HR version goes for $420-$500
HR+cad version goes for $450-$500
HR+cad+map for $600-$700.

Then I found that on I can get the 705+HR for $374 on wiggle.co.uk with free ship. I hadn't found anyone else selling it nearly as cheap with free ship, so I'm tempted. I don't really need the cadence sensor, though I might want the maps later down the line.

If I decide I want the maps, is it possible to buy the map card that comes with the deluxe 705? I went to https://buy.garmin.com/shop/buymaps.do and wasn't sure which of the various map cards (if any) is the same as the included map card on the deluxe.

If I buy everything in bits and pieces like this, do I lose anything that I would have gotten with the deluxe 705?

Side question, has anyone used alternate map data purchased (or got free) from another company than garmin on their 705?
Old 03-29-09, 01:33 AM
luv2climb

Bikes: Madone 6.9 w/ Record Carbon, Look KG461, De Rosa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do not loose anything if you buy it all seperatly. There are some folks using maps not from Garmin but I have not.
As for Garmin maps you would want the City Navigator NT version. It comes on either DVD or SD card. DVD version allows you to load the maps to your computer and Edge. SD version only allows you to load them on your Edge.
Old 03-29-09, 08:54 AM
Crast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by luv2climb
DVD version allows you to load the maps to your computer and Edge. SD version only allows you to load them on your Edge.
Wow, I didn't think of that. That is excellent. Thanks for all your help!
Old 04-05-09, 06:39 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also remember that if you get it from wiggle, it's likely to have the UK basemap. If you don't buy the US maps, you won't be able to use it in the US.

probikekit.com has the full package for about $409, btw. You'd still need (and should get) the Garmin maps anyway, IMO.

ebay has them cheapest. Do a search on this site on the edge 705 for more info.
Old 04-11-09, 12:46 PM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
question on the maps. It says it comes with a basemap and you can add additional maps with the SD card or the DVD.

1. What do the basemaps have and what does the additional maps add to it?
2. One package comes with the maps added on the SD card and some say you can add them from your computer with a dvd. What is the benefit of each? Is the SD card better or the DVD? Would the DVD load it into the memory shortening the amount of data you can hold while the SD card is seperate?

Originally Posted by Crast
Okay, so I decided I want to buy an Edge 705. I found that on average,
HR version goes for $420-$500
HR+cad version goes for $450-$500
HR+cad+map for $600-$700.
Can you please post where you found the best prices so far for all the options?

Buy your bike parts here
Old 04-11-09, 12:52 PM
Unknown Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing that puts me off buying the 705 is that it isn't clear what you need with it or what each bit of software does.

Is there any chance of a simple explanation from someone, while I'm saving up ?

Old 04-11-09, 08:22 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
You can get an empty 1gb or 2gb micro sd card.. Most people do not need all the info that the City NT Navigator provide, sure it shows you where every starbucks is and lots of points of interest.. The Garmin Topo Maps include every street and trail in the USA without all the clutter of points of interest and retail stores..
Old 04-11-09, 08:43 PM
Crast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jynx
Can you please post where you found the best prices so far for all the options?
I used www.google.com/products and some searching of my usual favorite sites to find the best prices.

705 HR $420 Tree Fort Bikes
705 HR+Cadence $450 blueskycycling.com
705 HR+Cad+Maps $599 Sunrise Cyclery
(I can vouch for sunrise cyclery, as it's local to me and a good shop, but the former two I have never ordered from)

So that gives you several ways to build the full kit.

- $599 full kit from Sunrise Cyc = $599
- $450 HR+Cad from bluesky + $80 garmin maps @ amazon.com = $530
- $380 705+HR from wiggle.co.uk + $37 cadence sensor @ amazon + $80 garmin maps @ amazon = $497

So you see, you only really save $30 by going to the UK, but it seems to me a non-question that buying the maps separate saves you money, even buying from the US. Going to the UK has an advantage to me in that I can skip New York tax, while I cannot from most other sites.

Even if you wanted to buy it all from the same retailer such as amazon.com, you still save money not getting the 705+maps bundle. The bundle is $649 on amazon, versus buying the GPS+Cadence for $489 and the maps for $80 = $569. Go figure.
Old 04-11-09, 10:07 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you might want to check this site out before buying maps. The 1:24k maps are as good as garmin and free (or cheap if you donate). A 2GIG microSD is as large as the 705 can read...I installed Idaho, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona in about 1/4 of that storage space. I'm probably going to put in western Montana and Wyoming, and northern Nevada, and still not have it totally consumed.

There are some MapSource issues to deal with...apparently the 705 recognizes only one file name on the SD card, so you cannot change map sets while using your GPS (am I wrong? Does anyone know how to do this?) and you cannot create and download routes to the free maps. I haven't noticed any other issues, yet.

Oh, and I did buy the 100k US Topo Maps on DVD, and am dissapointed in the quality (the topo interval is frickin' huge!).
Old 04-13-09, 10:03 AM
luv2climb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
There are some MapSource issues to deal with...apparently the 705 recognizes only one file name on the SD card, so you cannot change map sets while using your GPS (am I wrong? Does anyone know how to do this?)
To do this you send the different maps to the Edge or SD card at the same time. For example say you want City Nav and Topo. Select the regions of both that you want. When you send them to the Edge or SD card Mapsource places them in the same IMG file but in the map setup screen you control which ones are turned on.
Old 04-13-09, 06:06 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yes. and you end up with the selected map set on the SD chip. It looks like gmapsupp.img is a magic name that the Garmin uses...and that is the selected map set that downloads from MapSource. Does anyone know if it is possible to put more than one of these files on the SD chip (named differently) and select either file from the Garmin?
Old 04-13-09, 06:19 PM
luv2climb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
Does anyone know if it is possible to put more than one of these files on the SD chip (named differently) and select either file from the Garmin?
NO you cannot.

It can contain MULTIPLE maps from MULTIPLE sources at once. That is why you don't need more than one.
Old 04-13-09, 06:21 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by luv2climb
To do this you send the different maps to the Edge or SD card at the same time. For example say you want City Nav and Topo. Select the regions of both that you want. When you send them to the Edge or SD card Mapsource places them in the same IMG file but in the map setup screen you control which ones are turned on.
Thank you for that. This makes my question a little moot - I'll just save the map sets on the computer and then if I get to go somewhere different I'll just update the SD chip (or just buy another, they are really cheap on eBay). Navigating on the map is not easy for me, though. Does practice make it better?
Old 04-15-09, 05:45 AM
peanut_man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I get the City Navigator NT North America, and I load the map into the Edge 705, can I use the same software to load the map to my other Garmin GPS (for car)? I have an older C320 w/ City Nav v8 and it keeps complaining that I should update the map. Or Garmin somehow will only allow map to be used only by one GPS?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-09, 09:59 AM
luv2climb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could but not for free. Garmin DVD maps can be unlocked on MULTIPLE computers but only one GPS. Additional GPS units will cost you.

This is the one area that the pre-loaded SD card has an benefit. You can move the card from GPS to GPS for no additional cost.