Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

How much is my Tube Special Peugeot 103 Record du Monde worth?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 12:27 PM
vixon3007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am not sure of the Year, the Model or type of bike, size etc. If someone can clarify it with the photos of the bike I have attached, it would be greatly appreciated. I did purchase the bike about 40 - 45 years ago new and have kept it in my shed upside since. It has all the original parts even the book it came with. It is missing an inner tube on one of the tires and water bottle. silver. Needs some TLC. I would like to sell it but I am told I need the information to be able to know how much it is worth. Any information is helpful. I am having difficulties loading the pictures. Not sure if it will let me send the photos.
Old 07-15-20, 01:05 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
The model name is uo19 and it appears to be around '79. This style of frame is referred to as "mixte." In my town the value would be around $100 with tube replaced.

Last edited by Insidious C.; 07-15-20 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-15-20, 08:30 AM
vixon3007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for the information
Old 07-15-20, 08:35 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Prices have gone up in the pandemic. This bike is exceptionally clean but it does have steel rims which hurts the price. I’d ask 150 for it fixed up.
Old 07-15-20, 09:03 AM
vixon3007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought the rims were aluminum. I was told it was all aluminum. How can you tell it is steel?
Old 07-15-20, 07:53 PM
vixon3007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK , I will try it tomorrow. I know that this bike is very light. No weight on it. I will let you know what I find.
Old 07-17-20, 07:42 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...if you are anywhere near a college campus, or other entity that attracts large groups off young women, these older French and English mixte bikes are very popular as stylish transportation. So in that event you can ask more, but only for a bicycle that already is in good operating condition. At a minimum, that would include fixing the tyre. Otherwise, in such a place they are popular with flippers, who buy them cheaply, do either some minor repairs or a more extensive overhaul, and then resell them to the same young women. Yours is in good cosmetic condition, which makes it perfect for that.

Without some targeted market, it can be a struggle to get much money for something like this.
Old 07-17-20, 10:09 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Those are textured steel rims.
Likes For kross57:
Old 07-17-20, 08:36 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Vixon, whereabouts are you located? That would help with giving a valuation estimate because some areas will have a good and active used vintage bike market, others not so much. You look like you kept the condition well, many bikes of this vintage would be reduced to rust spots and paint damage if not kept in reasonably dry and good storage. Kudos to you, even the seat looks in nice condition. The Tires may be the biggest issue in that rubber degrades over time just siting there, even with a new inner tube, the tire itself may be subjected to dry rot and need replacing. That could factor into the selling price or it may not depending on the buyer. They know its an older bike so they should/would be prepared for a general overhaul of the bike to make it fully rideable. Personally, when I look at used bikes, I'm buying them for their potential depending on their condition. Of course, I try to get a good price, but if the bike is already priced well, I'm not going to nickel or dime someone down a lot further, but that's me. Others may try to go lower.
Old 07-18-20, 05:00 PM
vixon3007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am near a campus and will try posting information on the bike and see if there are any interest. Thank you so much for the idea.
Old 07-18-20, 05:07 PM
vixon3007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Long Island New York. Yes I have kept the bike free and clear of anything that might damage the bike. I love it and would like for it to go to someone that can appreciate her value. Thank you for noticing how well I have tried to maintain her in good condition. Not yet sure of the price. Sometimes the thought of selling her is difficult. But it is sitting not being used and that is not a good thing .Thank you all for helping me make a decision on something I value so much.
Old 07-18-20, 05:59 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Why don't you check local Craigslist bikes?

Start at low price of say $100 and work your way up. You might be surprised at the local market. We're assuming you know how to change tire but if you don't it might be worthwhile to have a mechanic install tubes and complete a quick tuneup which will sell the bike much quicker.

** Just checked Long Island Craigslist and 15+ bikes between $50 and $200 that were women's road bikes of one sort or another (and one Peugeot men's frame). I'd say fix tire, get it tuned up and list for $235 obo and specify in ad you're original owner and its recently tuned up. Point out seat bag and pump as well. Good photos of bike - cleaned up and well worded ad and I bet it sells quickly.

Last edited by WGB; 07-18-20 at 06:11 PM.
Likes For WGB:
Old 07-18-20, 08:09 PM
vixon3007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great advice. Thank you everyone for taking time away from your busy schedule to help me.
I really appreciate it. Be safe and have a great night.
Old 07-18-20, 11:25 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Looks like either a 1980 or 1981, based on the color. https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Broch...re%20UO19C.jpg . The 1980 looks indistinguishable.
Old 07-20-20, 04:42 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by vixon3007
I live in Long Island New York. Yes I have kept the bike free and clear of anything that might damage the bike. I love it and would like for it to go to someone that can appreciate her value. Thank you for noticing how well I have tried to maintain her in good condition. Not yet sure of the price. Sometimes the thought of selling her is difficult. But it is sitting not being used and that is not a good thing .Thank you all for helping me make a decision on something I value so much.
The one thing that you have not done is to maintain the tires. Any bike with flat tires loses immense value. selling any bike like this one is going to be much more difficult if the new owner thinks that they will have to change the tires and tubes
Old 07-20-20, 06:55 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The one thing that you have not done is to maintain the tires. Any bike with flat tires loses immense value. selling any bike like this one is going to be much more difficult if the new owner thinks that they will have to change the tires and tubes
+1, and it's not just about the tires. What is emerging, in this impromptu boom, is that "ready to ride" is a major $$$$ premium. One of the reasons that used bikes from private sellers are so hot is that the bike shops are overwhelmed. And most buyers don't want to do most work themselves. So buyers want a bike they can take home and ride, now.
Old 07-21-20, 04:40 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Needs bars retaped. No OCD woman would go near that bike unless it is presented pristinely. While I have 6 Peugeot Mixtes to sell, I sold the Moto below for $300 this spring, after years of trying, including in NYC burbs. Upright touring bars carry a premium of $50 or more.

The more desirable Peugeot Iseran went for $325

Last edited by oddjob2; 07-21-20 at 04:46 AM.