Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Group Rides and Skill Levels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 10:30 AM
ladyraestewart

Bikes: Trek Lexi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whenever I inquire I get responses that I honestly believe are written to discourage me from attempting to participate in any number of numerous group rides available in my area (I live in Austin, Texas). I've only been actively cycling a little over two months but in that time have gone from my first 30 minute ride covering about six miles to in less than a week, consistently riding on the trainer five nights a week for between an hour to two hours. I've also been doing 20 to 30 mile road rides almost every weekend. I even completed my first 50 mile ride (my time wasn't terrific but I finished in just under four hours and well within the allocated time).

I believe I have long since left the beginner category and possibly even the intermediate. From the ride descriptions I feel confident saying that since they talk about six to 15 mile rides that take from one to three hours. However, when I read the information or inquire about the more advanced rides going between 25 and as many as 60 miles, I feel I am not there yet or get told outright, we prefer you not join our ride as you will never keep up.

I never want to find I'm the rider who is consistently holding up the entire group because it's a not drop ride and I also do not want to finish so far behind, I'm riding alone most of the way. But I really want to join some kind of riding group or find some group rides that are good fits.

How does not determine where they really are in terms of beginner, intermediate, advanced? I read information about some rides saying the riders do 18+ mph the entire ride (which I know I cannot) but then again I live in central Texas and there is not a road in 200 miles that lacks significant hills and lots of them. Do those riders really maintain 18+ mph speed the entire way?

Should I really just suck it up and accept that a six to 15 mile group ride is where I need to be or should I jump in and work hard to keep up knowing that will help improve my endurance and speed and if I hold up other riders, so be it?

Advise?
Old 04-18-11, 10:35 AM
GP

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Show up, do a ride and make adjustments from there.

If you're worried about holding up the group, tell them that at the beginning. I'd also make sure you know how to get back to your house or car.
Old 04-18-11, 10:39 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Give it a try sometime on a ride where you can get dropped and still find your way back. You might end up riding alone for a while, but there's really only one way to find out if you can keep up.
Old 04-18-11, 10:40 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
Show up, do a ride and make adjustments from there.

Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Some people will make things much more difficult than necessary. Everyone had their first group ride sometime. Just don't start with an A ride and follow the quoted wisdom.
Old 04-18-11, 10:41 AM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd ask the group to let you join with the caveat that you are willing to get dropped. Know the route and short return route in case you don't want to do the rest of the ride solo.

In my opinion, the only way to find out where you're at is to try it. If they won't let you try it with them then you could always hang back 50' and see if you can hang with them solo. GL
Old 04-18-11, 10:42 AM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
You gotta start somewhere. Go on the short/slow group rides and see how that goes. If it goes well, try the longer faster rides and see how those go. Try to find rides that don't adhere to a no-drop policy. Personally, I'd much rather be dropped than keep having everybody wait up for me.
Old 04-18-11, 10:44 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,310 Times in 563 Posts
Bring a map. You won't know until you try. The numbers you posted seem very low - meaning they seem to average around 12mph. Understand that a lot of factors go into determination of an avg speed on a ride including terrain wind/weather, etc. but I don't believe I have ever gone on a group ride that came in anywhere near 12mph.

Maybe riding in a group will push you harder. i know it does for me.

Welcome and enjoy the ride.

Old 04-18-11, 10:47 AM
garysol1 

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Not so quick....... 2 months does not make an advanced intermediate. Group rides are about a lot more than how fast you can ride. There are certain skills you must learn and practice to ride safely and efficiently in a group. Most group rides will have a few groups to pick from and they will be categorized by speed and distance. For a rider new group riding I would always recommend starting off in one of the slower groups just so that you can learn these group skills. Sure the group may be slow for you but your there to learn initially. Once your pack skills are good then move up through the groups until you find your happy place...

To your other question about the 18+ MPH ride. If the ride AVERAGES 18 then there will be times that it probably hits 20 or 21mph and other times it may drop into the 15 or 16mph range.
Old 04-18-11, 11:05 AM
GP

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Bring a map. You won't know until you try. The numbers you posted seem very low - meaning they seem to average around 12mph. Understand that a lot of factors go into determination of an avg speed on a ride including terrain wind/weather, etc. but I don't believe I have ever gone on a group ride that came in anywhere near 12mph.
That might be a seniors group.
Old 04-18-11, 11:12 AM
MinnBobber

Bikes: Serotta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. like someone said , not just about speed but group riding skills. See if any group/club offers a group riding skills ride. Our club does that and it gets good marks from attendees.
2. any clubs post their ride schedules with better descriptions and choices? Our club offers rides every day from A, A-B, B, B-C, C, social, night rides and mileages from 12- 100. Even the slower paced groups have long mileage rides.
Old 04-18-11, 11:13 AM
mymojo

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
Not so quick....... 2 months does not make an advanced intermediate. Group rides are about a lot more than how fast you can ride. There are certain skills you must learn and practice to ride safely and efficiently in a group. Most group rides will have a few groups to pick from and they will be categorized by speed and distance. For a rider new group riding I would always recommend starting off in one of the slower groups just so that you can learn these group skills. Sure the group may be slow for you but your there to learn initially. Once your pack skills are good then move up through the groups until you find your happy place...
That sounds like the best advice you're gonna get. Its exactly what I'm currently doing. I was told by two people in my group this weekend that I could keepup with the next level riding group. However, I'd rather not have to worry about being at the edge of my performance envelope while trying to learn group etiquette. besides, I actually net a couple of pretty cool folks in this group.
Old 04-18-11, 11:18 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I don't believe I have ever gone on a group ride that came in anywhere near 12mph.
The SFVBC #1 and #2 rides often have riders who hold about that pace. They're usually beginners or spouses of riders doing the longer rides, so they're social and have no reason to hurry themselves... on the bike or at the rest stops We're actually blessed over here to have such a huge recreational club that caters to everyone from the t-shirt clad, hybrid riding neophyte to the Cat 2 racer.
Old 04-18-11, 11:24 AM
grwoolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on showing up for a ride and giving it a try. There are a ton of rides in Austin, some very social that would be good for you. I think Mellow Johnny's has a ride that is just a cruise around sort. It doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for, but it's a good idea to get comfortable riding with others before even thinking about doing it at any speed. It's also a good chance to talk to others about what other ride options there are (talk to the ride leaders).

Also, you are a beginner, sorry. I rode a bit when I was young and have been back on the bike for almost 2 years and over 10k miles. I am still very much a beginner/maybe intermediate in comparison to the people I ride with. Ask for advice and listen/watch the people with experience (even though they can sometimes be cold). Group cycling can be a little hard for newbies to get into unless you have a thick skin. Remember that everyone is basically trusting each other with their lives to some extent, so we take it seriously. Nothing makes people more nervous than a beginner that doesn't think they are a beginner.
Old 04-18-11, 11:30 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ladyraestewart
I believe I have long since left the beginner category and possibly even the intermediate. From the ride descriptions I feel confident saying that since they talk about six to 15 mile rides that take from one to three hours. However, when I read the information or inquire about the more advanced rides going between 25 and as many as 60 miles, I feel I am not there yet or get told outright, we prefer you not join our ride as you will never keep up.
I would say that is optimistic. You've built up some conditioning and can do long rides, but one person's definition of beginning or intermediate isn't the same as another's. I've been riding for 6 months now and if I was going to do a group ride I'd be asking about average speeds and type of terrain. I average 17mph solo on rolling terrain (lower with more climbs) so a group ride at 18mph on similar terrain is probably something I'd be able to hang with. If they are doing 18mph with lots of climbs I'd be dropped. Remember, that's an average so they might climb hills at 10mph and descend at 30mph.

Also, a 50 mile ride in 4 hours (assuming that's mostly all moving time and not stopped for lunch for an hour) is not going to be a pace that will keep you with an 18mph group unless you did lots of climbing and they are doing all flats. Again, it's type of terrain, conditions (windy) and distance all rolled into one. If they say ride X is an 18mph average pace that is probably a mid to upper level group and if you don't think you can maintain that pace then you are not yet mid to upper level.

Do one of their begging rides. If it's too easy then you know you can move up. If you do one that's too hard you'll get dropped and won't learn much - except that it was too hard.
Old 04-18-11, 12:00 PM
hao

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ladyraestewart
I believe I have long since left the beginner category and possibly even the intermediate.
Sorry, but that's just not right. IMO it takes at least a year of consistent riding to develop fitness, skills, and general knowledge to claim you are not a beginner.

You should definitely pick a group and try it out. Look at your average speed over a reasonable distance, then pick a group that averages 1 or 2 mph faster. So say if you can average 12 mph for 30 miles, then I would go to a group that averages 13-14 mph for 30 miles. This of course assumes that the ride conditions are similar.
Old 04-18-11, 12:10 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Have you actually taken their advice and tried a beginner ride? Go one 1 or 2 of them to see how group riding works. Then if you want to move up to faster rides, you can tell the ride leader that you have some group riding experience.

And yes, some recreational rides do average 18mph on moderately hilly terrain.
Old 04-18-11, 12:25 PM
transamman1999

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
def go to a beginner ride. everyone's gotta start somewhere.
stay at the rear. keep your distance but still get the drafting experience, keep at least wheel length between the guy/gal in front of you. be safe, ask questions, maintain your line, have fun.

don't let ppl discourage you from what can be a wonderful and fun experience. i love group rides, from relaxed recovery rides to elbow bumping crits.

just don't show up to the fast ride and expect to keep up or them to be understanding of your inexperience. start slow, build your way up.

ps: you're already a better indoor cyclist than me. i absolutely dread trainers and can only handle being on the rollers for 60-90 minutes. i'll never ride a trainer ever again (unless its at my fitter's shop to get re-fitted )

pps: while i'll agree with some ppl that it generally does take a while to gain cycling fitness and handling capabilities, i think it's very beneficial and can help one learn certain things much quicker by going on beginner rides, even if you dropped. at the very least you can ask questions and observe others, learn safety, hand signals, verbal commands/warnings, etc.
it could even help you learn different & safer local cycling routes.

Last edited by transamman1999; 04-18-11 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-18-11, 12:30 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,013 Times in 1,854 Posts
Give it a try at one of the beginner groups. If they're too slow, try one of the higher levels.
Old 04-18-11, 12:35 PM
Karma007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually find myself alone at some point on group rides- too fast for the beginners, but too slow for the next group. I know that going in, and am okay with it. Just do your best. Most clubs will be understanding, but again, be prepared to find your way home.
Old 04-18-11, 12:55 PM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Show up to a group ride that is well organized and meets weekly or more. You will find out real quick where you stand.
Old 04-18-11, 12:56 PM
jbholcom

Bikes: 2011 Gaint Defy 1, 1997 GT Rebound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may be getting into good physical shape, however riding with a big group is completely different. I've only been able to do a few group rides and I can tell you from my experience, it is completely different than venturing on your own or with a partner. Hand and verbal communication is difficult to grasp while trying to keep up with the "hot dogs". Take it easy, listen, observe, and learn. If your local group is similar to what I'm experiencing, you will be completely blown away (literally and figuratively).
Old 04-18-11, 01:23 PM
flaco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try the Jack and Adam's shop ride on Sunday morning. They are beginner-friendly and break up into groups based on skill/fitness. Also, they go east so it's not as hilly.
Old 04-18-11, 01:32 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Riding with the slow group initially and learning how to ride with a group is great advice because the group dynamic alters your riding experience both in efficiency and psychologically. The average speeds are usually there to give riders a sense of how fast they will generally be going and remember that if you ride in a good paceline maintaining higher speeds is easier because of the drafting factor. Psychologically group rides motivate you to push yourself harder when the pace picks up, and having company when you're suffering up a climb is pretty nice too.
Old 04-18-11, 01:49 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
my club hosts sessions for beginners to group riding. the beginner groups get an experienced leader, no dropping and a formal introduction to etiquette and expected group dynamics.

OP needs something similar. don't worry about choosing a slow ride, it's better to learn how to handle yourself in a paceline and around others without being near your fitness limitations.
Old 04-18-11, 02:18 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"I've only been actively cycling a little over two months" and "I believe I have long since left the beginner category" is reminds me of military intelligence, airline food, and honest politicians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.