Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mapmyride failure

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mapmyride failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 05:26 AM
JustinHS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mapmyride failure

Anyone else having this? Past few days start tracking a ride,and GPS disconnects after about a mile or so. Timer still continues, so app is running. Check all the settings, and GPS works fine for other apps. Re downloaded app. No change.
I put in an inquiry with company. Awaiting answer. Seems to be very recent complaints on play store(android) about same thing after an update.
(And am sure many of you are going to say time to change to.....that is a conversation for another day.)
Old 04-09-24, 05:34 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 90 Posts
I use MapMyRide and have not had problems with it. But I have not been riding much lately.
Old 04-09-24, 05:50 AM
JustinHS

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Past three days for me, before that didn't use for about 4 days because of rain.
Old 04-09-24, 08:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 3,334 Posts
Is this the MapMyRide app using your phones GPS or the connection to a Garmin Edge, Wahoo or other GPS device?
Old 04-09-24, 06:50 PM
JustinHS

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Using the phones gps.
I reached out, and it is a known problem they are working.
Old 04-10-24, 08:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 3,334 Posts
You might need to look into the battery optimization settings for that app on your phone. It might be putting the app to sleep if you aren't interacting with it routinely during the ride. Also check that the app has full permissions to use the GPS any time.

It might be that the app needs some updates to handle the newer versions of the phones OS that is getting stricter on battery use by apps.
Old 04-10-24, 06:44 PM
JustinHS

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
All settings were checked and confirmed to be correct. MMR support confirmed they had a problem with an update and are working on it.
Old 04-14-24, 08:52 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinHS
Anyone else having this? Past few days start tracking a ride,and GPS disconnects after about a mile or so. Timer still continues, so app is running. Check all the settings, and GPS works fine for other apps. Re downloaded app. No change.
I put in an inquiry with company. Awaiting answer. Seems to be very recent complaints on play store(android) about same thing after an update.
(And am sure many of you are going to say time to change to.....that is a conversation for another day.)
Have been a MapMyRide user for some years. Liked the simple interface without complications of electronic connections... But this past Sept it started losing (or not recording) ride progress. Loss of GPS, whatever? Gave it some time to 'recover', no dice.
Went to 'Ride With GPS' , and that seems to be working very well. Silll also using my on-bike old school computer (set to very accurate wheel circumference) - and the recent update to Ride With GPS app on my phone almost perfectly matches the computer for distance. I use Ride With GPS mainly to get a reading on vertical gain (trying to have strong climbing rides/routes without the imperfect considerations of how I 'felt'). Only a tool, no need to be married ...
works... without all the involvement of more intricate apps - keeps me focused on the most IMPORTANT thing - the ride, what, where and moment.

Ride On
Yuri
Old 04-14-24, 09:04 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 375 Posts
+1 on RidewithGPS. Works well. Easy connect to a Garmin with Garmin IQ.

Also many organized rides use RidewithGPs, so if you’re doing organized rides, it’s handy to already have it, nd be familiar.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.