Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Derailleur hanger alignment without special tool (DAG)?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-16, 09:01 AM
Gege-Bubu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would like to check my derailleur hanger alignment, but have no special tool like DAG

Is there a way how to check and fix the alignment ?
Or can I make DIY DAG?
Old 01-31-16, 09:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
You can thread the axle of a spare wheel into the hanger (remove the derailleur.) Google it.
Old 01-31-16, 09:43 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Place a straight edge in between the rear wheel's cogs. Have the straight edge hang down past the der cage. Compare the cage to the straight edge. To straighten one can use a long handled allen wrench placed in the der's mounting bolt and maybe add a pry tool (screwdriver) behind the hanger and between the hanger and the small cog of the rear wheel. As most needs to align a hanger are to pry it out this method is a quick and easy one which will use the der cage as the gage (and it's the cage that counts as far as the chain's smooth running goes.) Andy.
Old 01-31-16, 09:46 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You can thread the axle of a spare wheel into the hanger (remove the derailleur.) Google it.
I sure wouldn't want to use a 3/8x26tpi axle to do this straightening method with. Any one who asks the OP's question is also likely unable to know about threading compatibilities and the importance to maintain said compatibility when stressing a soft alloy threaded part (the hanger). But otherwise a good suggestion. Andy.
Old 01-31-16, 09:48 AM
GeorgeOwnwell

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To expand, hangers are threaded 10x1, the same as most rear axles. You can use a spare wheel and remove the QR skewer and thread the exposed threads on one side of the axle into the hanger. Snug it up with a wrench and then align the "straightening" wheel with the wheel in the bike making it as even as possible. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Old 01-31-16, 10:06 AM
eddy m

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I sure wouldn't want to use a 3/8x26tpi axle to do this straightening method with. Any one who asks the OP's question is also likely unable to know about threading compatibilities and the importance to maintain said compatibility when stressing a soft alloy threaded part (the hanger). But otherwise a good suggestion. Andy.
You don't want to use a wheel to bend the derailer hanger, but it works well enough to measure the alignment. It also works better if you can adjust the spare wheel's axle enough to engage all the threads of the hanger.

em
Old 01-31-16, 10:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Indexed shifting is fussier about hanger alignment than friction shifting, and the more cogs in the cluster the fussier it gets. By all means try this method first, but if shifting is sub-par afterward, take it to a shop with the proper tool.
Old 01-31-16, 10:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
it is all about having an arm at precisely 90 degrees to its axis, the hanger bolt, and a reference pointer also square to that arm ,

that allows you to accurately measure that the hanger is at precisely a right angle to the plane of the wheel-cassette assembly

if making the arm out of Bamboo works for you , fine , but the holes thru it have to be done accurately ..
Old 01-31-16, 06:41 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 98 Posts
FWIW I have managed to straighten a few bent hangers by eyeballing their alignment. One was on my Old Peugeot # 2, and the other was on a new Schwinn (a department store bike.) Both bikes shift properly now.
Old 01-31-16, 06:55 PM
eddy m

Originally Posted by Aubergine
FWIW I have managed to straighten a few bent hangers by eyeballing their alignment. One was on my Old Peugeot # 2, and the other was on a new Schwinn (a department store bike.) Both bikes shift properly now.
I'm not surprised by that. The spec for alignment is something like 1/8 inch out at the rim. I can't eyeball that but I can try and error into it.

em

Last edited by eddy m; 02-01-16 at 08:06 AM. Reason: correction
Old 01-31-16, 06:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by eddy m
I'm not surprised by that. The spec for alignment is something like 1/2 inch out at the rim. I can't eyeball that but I can try and error into it.

em
Never heard of this 1/2" run out spec before. I aim for 10% of that. Andy.
Old 01-31-16, 07:08 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
True. as you would well know( but others might not), a 3/8 x 26 axle will very easily thread into a M10 x 1 hanger, but the fit is very sloppy and likely to do damage when the force is applied.
Old 01-31-16, 07:41 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I've used an adjustable wrench and also have a 10 X 1 bolt about 2" long i can use and eyeball them. I've only done this on 7 speed and less friction shifting so it has been "good enough"
Old 01-31-16, 10:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

If using a bare axle (10x1) or bolt as the inserted lever a nut that can be tightened against the hanger will further support it and reduce any in the threaded hole oblonging. Andy.
Old 01-31-16, 11:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
[h=1]LifeLine Derailleur Hanger Alignment Tool[/h]
$35.22

...in a rational world, this is about what the Park tool would sell for. I honestly cannot get good alignment on a hanger without the tool, maybe I'm just not good at eyeballing it. I work on a lot of olde stuff, and they go out in a variety of directions, sometimes twisted, sometimes just a simple off from the vertical plane of your wheel. But like I said, without the tool, I just have trouble checking all the various planes of dysfunction.
Old 01-31-16, 11:59 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
35 is cheap for that tool but if the OP wants to check that once each 10 years well... I do use the 2 axles and a caliper technique, works great!

ps: never occur to me to use a whole wheel too, it makes your life easier at the time of torquing the hanger in place.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 02-01-16 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-01-16, 12:17 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeOwnwell
To expand, hangers are threaded 10x1, the same as most rear axles. You can use a spare wheel and remove the QR skewer and thread the exposed threads on one side of the axle into the hanger. Snug it up with a wrench and then align the "straightening" wheel with the wheel in the bike making it as even as possible. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Except for Campagnolo which uses (or used to use) 10mm X 26 tpi.

I made my own tool... HEAVY DUTY. Well, it became obvious, even a steel derailleur hanger is pretty soft, so it doesnt' take much to bend it. I did find a stock 10x1 bolt would only thread partway into the hanger, but enough that it would work for both leverage and measurements.

Unfortunately I've misplaced the tool at the moment, but it seems to be fine to just get pretty close.
Old 02-01-16, 08:06 AM
eddy m

Never heard of this 1/2" run out spec before. I aim for 10% of that. Andy.
I mis-typed that. I use 1/8 difference top to bottom, front to back. That's about 1 degree. It's almost impossible to see a 1 degree difference, but it's easy to measure a 1/8 gap. A gap of 10% of 1/2 inch is less than 1/2 degree, more than perfect enough.

em

Last edited by eddy m; 02-01-16 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-01-16, 08:27 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm all for DIY, but if one doesn't have the right tools and won't use them often enough to justify the investment, why not just let the LBS handle this? It's a quick (i.e. inexpensive) procedure and most shops could really used the business this time of year.
Old 02-01-16, 08:54 AM
Gege-Bubu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ;18502535
LifeLine Derailleur Hanger Alignment Tool

$35.22

...in a rational world, this is about what the Park tool would sell for. I honestly cannot get good alignment on a hanger without the tool, maybe I'm just not good at eyeballing it. I work on a lot of olde stuff, and they go out in a variety of directions, sometimes twisted, sometimes just a simple off from the vertical plane of your wheel. But like I said, without the tool, I just have trouble checking all the various planes of dysfunction.

Thanks everyone for input!
I tried to use threaded rods, wheels, carpenters squares, levels, etc
All came down to me "eyeballing." And it never came perfectly straight. For example, I use the wheel to check alignment, fix the bent a little, then check it with rods - out of alignment. Fixed again, eyeballing, looks ok. Checked alignment with wheel - out of alignment!
Someone may say that having it perfectly straight it is not a big deal, but I am having trouble shifting some gears (not all) of my 11 speed group.

I could go to my LBS to fix it, but if I will need to do it again, or need to build a new bike, - the tool will be handy.

So, the right answer to my question was given by 3alarmer:
"Don't try to DIY, because it will not work, buy the tool"
Thanks for the link! Now I need to figure out whet else to buy for $14.77 to have a free shipping.
maybe I will buy some socks.
Old 02-01-16, 10:54 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by Gege-Bubu
Now I need to figure out whet else to buy for $14.77 to have a free shipping.
maybe I will buy some socks.
...they always get me that way too.
Old 02-01-16, 11:01 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I straightened untold number of hangers in my bike career. I also did a good bit of frame/fork alignment, and have a very good eye. Nevertheless, when it comes to straightening a hanger on cassettes with 8 or more (esp.10+) cogs, eyeballing and DIY solutions are not always sufficient. I was unable to solve an inconsistent shift problem on my own bike that I knew was alignment related until I was able to put a DAG on the hanger.
Old 02-01-16, 12:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I've straightened hangers by eye. Sometimes that was good enough. I now own the tool. If doing it by eye doesn't work, buy the tool or bring the frame to a shop.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-03-16, 12:11 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by eddy m
You don't want to use a wheel to bend the derailer hanger, but it works well enough to measure the alignment. It also works better if you can adjust the spare wheel's axle enough to engage all the threads of the hanger.

em
I have used a spare wheel to straighten bent steel hanger with out problems before I bought the tool.
Old 02-05-16, 04:33 PM
Gege-Bubu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I got Merlin tool yesterday and tried it this morning before I started my trainerroad session.

The hanger was obviously bent, not 1", but good 1/4" off between top and bottom position of the arm.
It took me about 15 min to set my bike stand, get all the tools, and fix the hanger, and put all stuff back into garage.
I was trying to fix it without the tool for a good hour, and never got it right.
Now my shifting is smooth as butter.

I think, this job is the one of the things that must have the tool. No rod or wheel would give me precise alignment. Maybe some one can do it, but i cannot
I like it, because it let me straighten it in no time.

Thanks !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.