Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Fat Guy Across the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-15, 10:03 AM
Haff
Runaway Breadtruck

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8, Giant Defy Advanced 2, TT Cruiser, GT Zaskar, Diggler scooter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
He managed to find a doctor in Newport to give him a physical.

Color me impressed. When I need to schedule a physical with my doctor, it takes at least a month to fit it in!
He has been in the area for about a month, so that seems about right.
Old 08-07-15, 10:04 AM
chibul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
I would think that if I was running a Facebook page like his, I wouldn't bury a status or picture in a reply to a comment, but actually post it on his wall where everyone would easily see it. I still don't see things on Facebook that others are seeing, I wonder if it is because I am using my phone... or that I am not his FB Friend (I have just made a friend request).
He does this a lot, I've noticed. I've attempted to gently explain to him that he needs to make official status reports instead of just responding to comments, but he either ignores those comments or LOL's them off with an "aw shucks" attitude.

You pretty much have to go through all of the "Posts To Page" and read all of the comments on those to get the full scope of what's "going on". He's definitely not making it easy.

Sounds like this whole bike shop thing will now prevent him from leaving tomorrow as well.
Old 08-07-15, 10:08 AM
Haff
Runaway Breadtruck

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8, Giant Defy Advanced 2, TT Cruiser, GT Zaskar, Diggler scooter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If he actually lost the amount of weight he says he has since this started, thats actually pretty impressive. (trying to find the positive). Though some before an after pictures would add some credibility.
Old 08-07-15, 10:10 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I'm going to be the ultimate hater here and predict by this time next week some emergency will have them on a plane headed home, with their bikes and gear safely stowed at Newport Cycles awaiting their return so they can "finish" their journey.

They will never return to Rhode Island.
Old 08-07-15, 10:32 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
They will never return to Rhode Island.
When I read this, I thought of the opening narration for the old Odd Couple TV Show...

Several years earlier, Madison's wife had thrown HIM out, requesting that HE never return. I suspect that the sentiment of some in RI will be that he never return.

But, it made me think of modifying the opening narration a bit too...

One day, Eric Hites was asked to remove himself from his place of residence; that request came from his wife. Deep down, he knew she was right, but he also knew that some day he would return to her. With nowhere else to go, he appeared at the home of an internet friend on Martha's Vineyard. After some unnecessary delays he started his trek across the country until he reached the distant city of Newport Rhode Island. Several days later his wife joined him in recognition of his heroic efforts. Can two people travel at a snails pace on the charity of others, without driving each other crazy?

OK, everyone can hum the theme now...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-07-15, 10:50 AM
nordek

Bikes: Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think his theme song could be Shut up and Ride,like the Shut up and Dance song.
Old 08-07-15, 10:51 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I can't find jack on his facebook page... picture of his wife's bike? Can't find it. I thought I saw a comment that he posted a video of himself (allegedly) riding a bike, can't find that either. If he had a half a brain, he'd post an update and then just let people comment on it, but since he buries his comments in replies to other replies, it's hard to see what's going on and there's no continuity.

Today's gem, for your reading enjoyment (directed at Sara, one of the people who is more directly questioning his dedication):

Fat guy Across America Clearly im.changing my life and I have been open about quitting smoking. It's obvious I wasn't in good health when I started. What's great is I will be able to stop smoking, lose weight, and regain my life, whereas you will always be a miserable individual Sara

Try not to drown in the irony. Clearly, he's going to lose weight and stop smoking, just not any time soon.

Tomorrow's (allegdly) the day - who's willing to take up the other side of my $1 bet he doesn't budge. Any non-haters out there?
Old 08-07-15, 10:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18455 Post(s)
Liked 15,691 Times in 7,375 Posts
Originally Posted by mahlers2nd
I thought he was still in Tiverton -- and frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't made that his permanent residence at this point.
Nut sure if he's just confused or trying to make it look on his journal like he's been moving, but the July 29th entry says he giving an update from New Bedford, MA. I am pretty sure he was in Newport, RI by then.
Old 08-07-15, 10:56 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Any non-haters out there?
*crickets chirping*
Old 08-07-15, 10:56 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Eric: Are you listening?
He's got to do it his way, man!

Actually, if you aren't at his feet hollering about how awesome he is, he thinks you're a hater. I actually thought he had a snowball's chance of making any progress before his wife got there, but unless she flies back home in a snit, I don't think he has even a snowball's chance.

I remember what it was like when I re-took up cycling as an adult and I was dramatically lighter than Eric and wasn't hauling an unreasonably heavy trailer, and it was hard to sporadically ride a few miles. SMH. That spot GPS is going to come in super handy (for somebody else, when he sells it on ebay)
Old 08-07-15, 10:58 AM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't find jack on his facebook page... picture of his wife's bike? Can't find it. I thought I saw a comment that he posted a video of himself (allegedly) riding a bike, can't find that either. If he had a half a brain, he'd post an update and then just let people comment on it, but since he buries his comments in replies to other replies, it's hard to see what's going on and there's no continuity.

Today's gem, for your reading enjoyment (directed at Sara, one of the people who is more directly questioning his dedication):

Fat guy Across America Clearly im.changing my life and I have been open about quitting smoking. It's obvious I wasn't in good health when I started. What's great is I will be able to stop smoking, lose weight, and regain my life, whereas you will always be a miserable individual Sara

Try not to drown in the irony. Clearly, he's going to lose weight and stop smoking, just not any time soon.

Tomorrow's (allegdly) the day - who's willing to take up the other side of my $1 bet he doesn't budge. Any non-haters out there?
from the main FB page, select "Posts to Page". Lots of stuff there... including someone asking what bike his wife got. Click on that and you'll see the Liv.
Old 08-07-15, 11:06 AM
nordek

Bikes: Trek 7300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never understood why his wife had to join him so fast,you would think she would of been waiting for him at the Indiana border,and ride with him.My guess is she going to have a health problem and he will have to quit the ride and go back to Indiana to nurse her back to health,she is going to be is out.
Old 08-07-15, 11:12 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are The Days Of Our Lives...

Maybe Lifetime will do a movie "based on a true story" about Eric's epic ride to nowhere. He could be played by Ralphie May. It'd be a 2 hour movie with Ralphie just sitting and doing nothing, but at least Ralphie would be reasonably entertaining and coherent.
Old 08-07-15, 11:17 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by nordek
I never understood why his wife had to join him so fast,you would think she would of been waiting for him at the Indiana border,and ride with him.My guess is she going to have a health problem and he will have to quit the ride and go back to Indiana to nurse her back to health,she is going to be is out.
You must be new here.

At one point the plan was to use some of the GFM money to get his truck fixed. She was then going to drive east and drive SAG for him until IN, where she would then start riding with him.

She admitted to not having been on a bike in 13 years. So it makes total sense for her to join him now. NOT!
Old 08-07-15, 11:18 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by scrming

from the main FB page, select "Posts to Page". Lots of stuff there... including someone asking what bike his wife got. Click on that and you'll see the Liv.
I asked.
Old 08-07-15, 11:20 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by scrming
Ugh, found it. That's precisely what I mean - you can't see that in his list of photos, it's not in one of his updates, it's a reply to some visitor's post.

Here's the believable way to manage your FB updates: how about a short post saying "Hey, we picked up Angie's bike, here she is with it" and a pic.

Can anybody even tell if the plates in the background are RI plates?
Old 08-07-15, 11:23 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bassjones
Maybe Lifetime will do a movie "based on a true story" about Eric's epic ride to nowhere. He could be played by Ralphie May. It'd be a 2 hour movie with Ralphie just sitting and doing nothing, but at least Ralphie would be reasonably entertaining and coherent.
LOL! Ralphie would be perfect! I can just see Ralphie sitting on a milk crate in front of that tent of Eric's (with the trailer in the background) rambling on and on.

I am going to call a good IP lawyer I know and have her start preparing the papers so I can buy the film rights from Eric.
Old 08-07-15, 11:24 AM
Haff
Runaway Breadtruck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Self-proclaimed 'fat guy' is biking across America to save his marriage

gotta love it.
Old 08-07-15, 11:25 AM
CreepyAlan
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She is now banned.
Old 08-07-15, 11:28 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CreepyAlan
She is now banned.
Who?
Old 08-07-15, 11:29 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
LOL! Ralphie would be perfect! I can just see Ralphie sitting on a milk crate in front of that tent of Eric's (with the trailer in the background) rambling on and on.

I am going to call a good IP lawyer I know and have her start preparing the papers so I can buy the film rights from Eric.
I want Royalties. It was my idea LOL
Old 08-07-15, 11:30 AM
CreepyAlan
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sara Martin the "instigator" on the Fat Boys page.
Old 08-07-15, 11:30 AM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
"Fat guy Across America Im doing my best. My bicycle shop friend Rob, has been out of the shop due to his wife's accident and my bronchitis really put us behind, but that is life, I'm trying to reorganize a ride across the newport bridge for the Am because I'm sure he needs to stay with his wife and not worry about me. She is much more important and that is how it should be. Rob and his family are now part of extended family, and we've been sending a lot of prayers thier way."

Uh-oh...
I live in Newport and he has not been seen riding and I stopped in at Newport Bicycle and I don't think they are too proud of him. Maybe less skeptical than me. Getting over the bridges is all of a 5 mile ride and you can put your bikes on the bus for a $2.00 fare. He could hire the local cab company that uses minivans for about $20.00 and carry the trailers too. Total fraud if you ask me.
]
Old 08-07-15, 11:31 AM
CreepyAlan
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Hg0yhnUas
Old 08-07-15, 11:35 AM
Haff
Runaway Breadtruck

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by billew
I live in Newport and he has not been seen riding and I stopped in at Newport Bicycle and I don't think they are too proud of him. Maybe less skeptical than me. Getting over the bridges is all of a 5 mile ride and you can put your bikes on the bus for a $2.00 fare. He could hire the local cab company that uses minivans for about $20.00 and carry the trailers too. Total fraud if you ask me.
]
Do you know where he shacks out? Maybe go find him and offer to put up a video of him riding for his adoring fans! Hell, even just sitting on the bike would be something. (not trying to make you work, just really curious how he responds)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.