Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 Update

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-19, 10:44 PM
kocour

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sequoia, 1980 Schwinn Voyager 11.8, Handsome Devil (from Minneapolis bike builder)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

I had been enjoying my garage sale find, a 1980 Schwinn Voyageur that I wrote about this summer: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...questions.html

Then I found a crack in the seat stay where it attaches to the seat lug. I am considering having it repaired and re-chromed, but in the meantime I found a second 1980 Voyageur on Craigs List about a 2 hour drive away. I bought it last week and am in the process of fixing it up.

It has a modern group set - Shimano 600. I decided to keep it all but the brakes and peddles, which really stand out as non-period on this bike. The other components are not as noticeable. The bar end shifters had been mounted on the aero bars - I had them moved to where they belong. I had some old Brooks synthetic leather bar tape and I bought a Brooks seat. I also had vintage Dia-Compe brake levers installed. Unfortunately the frame has a noticeable ding in the top tube and some spider web scratches that I was not able to polish out. But I think it will make a good daily rider.

I suspect that I am going to keep looking for yet another Voyageur. Two makes a pair, but three will make a collection. Here are some photos.

Crack in seat stay

Before

After

Current Brakes

I am considering going back to these brakes, which would have been original equipment.
Likes For kocour:
Old 10-02-19, 09:58 AM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Love that chrome!

...4th post...Six to go...Before then, you see no photo.
Old 10-02-19, 10:25 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 643 Posts
You must be in chrome city when it comes to Voyageurs!
Old 10-02-19, 03:01 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 1,033 Times in 671 Posts
From the picture, it is difficult to know if this is a crack or it is a chrome de-lamination. Up close and personal you would have to put pressure in the area and see if you see this crack opening and closing up in response to the pressure applied. I am hoping, for your sake and to save a nice looking bike that his is only the chrome. Keep us updated.
Old 10-02-19, 08:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11027 Post(s)
Liked 7,575 Times in 4,225 Posts
Originally Posted by kocour
Then I found a crack in the seat stay where it attaches to the seat lug. I am considering having it repaired and re-chromed...
Where in iowa are you?
Old 10-02-19, 11:02 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
so shiny....