Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

prescription goggles for rain and wind?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

prescription goggles for rain and wind?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 01:03 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I have been using bifocal safety glasses and at $10 a pair I get ones that are yellow tinted and grey ones and clear ones so I have options depending on conditions. The safety glasses tend to do a good job in keeping dust out of my eyes whether coming in from the bottom or the sides of the lenses.

I recently came across the full lens magnification safety glasses that are available in different levels of magnification and clear or tinted lenses. This pair is used by a dentist and so provides good magnification with acceptable distortion. At $15 they are not a high risk purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-07-23, 03:52 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
Debating on really sunny days or when I am coming hi=ome and the sun is going down it's really hard to see. wondering of polarized lens would work best or mirrored lens?
If those are your only options, I'd get the polarized lens over the mirrored finish.
Polarized sunglasses have a function, the mirrored finish is just cosmetic, all that does is make it darker. Polarized are really great in very bright conditions where there's a lot of glare, like water, snow, or white concrete, or looking through a windshield/visor. They often can make it very hard to see some kinds of electronic displays, though,if that's a concern for you.

For mixed light conditions, choosing a different tint color and gradient can help too; a 50% can be pretty effective, but not as dark as the typical 70% sunglasses tint.
Also, if colors are available, I find that a bronze/brown lens is more versatile in mixed conditions than a standard smoke/gray tint

Finally, I have a newer pair of daily wear glasses (I'm nearsighted) that I had made with "Blue-Blocker" lenses, because I do use screens a lot, they have a very faint greenish (?) tint to them, if you're really looking for it, but I've noticed that I'm less likely to reach for my sunglasses with these, particularly the morning, driving the school run.
Old 11-08-23, 09:27 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
right now I am using transition lens and they work pretty well with a antiglare coating. but I have to see how well they work in the rain at night. thats usually when the glare is at its worst. but when its raining its already darker so polarized will be even darker soon. I cant compare there polarized to my setup now as I am buying them online.