Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rim strips for Campagnolo Zonda C17 wheels??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-21, 12:39 PM
fcriscuo

Bikes: 1978 Masi Gran Criterium, 2011 Bianchi Sempre, 2018 Pinarello Gan K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just received a new set of Campagnolo Zonda C17 disc brake wheels. Based on the smooth and curved inner rim surface, I assumed that rim strips were not necessary. But the Technical Specifications in the User Manual specifies a 20.5 mm rim strip. I can't see what benefit adding a rim strip might provide. I know this is a very popular wheelset so I would appreciate hearing if other users installed a rim strip. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-21, 12:58 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by fcriscuo
I just received a new set of Campagnolo Zonda C17 disc brake wheels. Based on the smooth and curved inner rim surface, I assumed that rim strips were not necessary. But the Technical Specifications in the User Manual specifies a 20.5 mm rim strip. I can't see what benefit adding a rim strip might provide. I know this is a very popular wheelset so I would appreciate hearing if other users installed a rim strip. Thanks in advance.
I interpret this as “if you insist on using rim strips, 20.5mm is the widest you should use to avoid interfering with tire installation”. I’ve been running Zonda C17s without rim strips for the last ~10,000 miles. I do have a ~2” piece of rim strip (Velox) spanning the valve hole, to prevent any rubbing at the edge of the hole. Don’t know if this is even necessary, but I don’t see any downside. Otherwise no rim strips, no problems. Nice affordable reasonably light (1560g/pr) Al wheels.
Old 12-05-21, 01:55 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
No rim strips on my Zonda's either, and nothing at the valve hole. No issues for two years of riding, well in excess of 8000km. Love my Zondas, although the manual said rider weight limit was somewhere around 170lb... I just managed to squeak under 175 this year, but i'm not telling my rims that.

The bigger question in my mind is, why aren't these wheels good for going tubeless? Campagnolo says no, but their construction seems to suggest they'd be fine... The only hole is the valve stem, wouldn't a TL tire seal really well if you installed a TL valve?
Old 12-05-21, 06:25 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowflake6
No rim strips on my Zonda's either, and nothing at the valve hole. No issues for two years of riding, well in excess of 8000km. Love my Zondas, although the manual said rider weight limit was somewhere around 170lb... I just managed to squeak under 175 this year, but i'm not telling my rims that.

The bigger question in my mind is, why aren't these wheels good for going tubeless? Campagnolo says no, but their construction seems to suggest they'd be fine... The only hole is the valve stem, wouldn't a TL tire seal really well if you installed a TL valve?
The manual says 240lb max, but that riders 180+ should be more vigilant and inspect the wheels more frequently. FWIW I’m ~185 and ride 25mm tires @~90 psi. ~10k miles in and no issues
Old 12-05-21, 10:05 PM
fcriscuo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of using some rim tape near the valve stem hole.
Old 12-05-21, 10:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Ensuring that the valve hole doesn't have any sharp burrs, maybe giving it a light chamfer, is all you should need to do.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-05-21, 10:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowflake6
I asked Campy about that several years ago. I don't have a copy of their response anymore, but I remember two issues they cited: the rim isn't sealed at the weld, and the rim profile isn't correct for tubeless.
Old 12-11-21, 12:10 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
The manual says 240lb max, but that riders 180+ should be more vigilant and inspect the wheels more frequently. FWIW I’m ~185 and ride 25mm tires @~90 psi. ~10k miles in and no issues
You're right... I remembered the limit was something like 5lb lighter than I was, which was about 185 when I bought them. I'm 175 now. Rode 25's on them for about a year, then switched to 28's instead... Sooo much nicer with 28's.
Old 12-12-21, 08:50 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Absolutely no point is using rim strips with zondas or any Campy/Fulcrum wheels without holes for nipple access. Zondas are not tubeless ready. I use Fulcrum racing 3 DB wheels that are tubeless ready with no rim strip required. I use michelin tubeless tires.
Old 08-20-22, 01:42 PM
j18ter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fcriscuo
Without rim tape the inner tube is in direct contact with the aluminium rim bed, which can get hot from sustained breaking if rim breaks are used, especially during long and steep descents. Continental tires come with strong warnings about this, and recommend using rim tape even on rims without exposed holes.
Old 08-21-22, 05:18 PM
fcriscuo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the information. I can appreciate how prolonged braking with rim brakes could cause thermal stresses for the tube. My bike has disc brakes. I have used the Zonda wheels without rim strips for several months now without any issues. My usual ride includes a long descent (and ultimately ascent), that's posted as a 7% grade. Overall I consider the Zonda wheelset to have been a great upgrade.