Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

BF Pakit - probably ordering next week

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

BF Pakit - probably ordering next week

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 07:11 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike!
Old 04-23-17, 03:39 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by iamdougsbike
Was thinking the Thule Pack n' Pedal magnet might work mounted to a quick release clamp but Velcro is probably cheaper and just as stable.
I tried the Velcro for a while but didn't like it; so now I have implemented the magnet idea. So far so good. Thanks!
Old 04-23-17, 03:41 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
My bike arrived two days ago. I'm very impressed so far. It fits me beautifully, disappearing from my awareness as I ride, which for me is the test of a good fit. I'm not thinking about the bike or its components. I'm just enjoying the ride.

It arrived in perfect condition. Everything was adjusted just right (gearing, brakes, etc.). It was also very simple to put together. It takes me about a minute to fold it, but I think that will get faster.

I decided to go with a Brompton carrier block and bag/basket for carrying gear. The carrier block will arrive separately, and should be here in a few days. For now, I've got a simple handbag (the Timbuk2 Colby) attached to the handlebars with Velcro.

Untitled photo by[/url], on Flickr
Congrats! There is something appealing about the bike. Hard to define. Maybe the horizontal top tube, maybe the simple uncluttered look...

How do you find the stiffness? And the weight?
Old 04-24-17, 06:58 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Congrats! There is something appealing about the bike. Hard to define. Maybe the horizontal top tube, maybe the simple uncluttered look...

How do you find the stiffness? And the weight?
No "noodliness" at all (at least not that is detectable by me -- a not-very-sensitive rider). Maybe because there's no hinge in the main frame? The low trail geometry took a couple of miles to get used to. It makes the steering really...responsive. I think that'll dampen once I get some weight on the front.

I think the reported weight for this build was about 18 pounds before I put the saddle on. I haven't weighed it yet to see. It feels significantly lighter than my Bianchi Volpe.
Old 04-24-17, 07:52 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Giant, is the height of the handlebar fixed? Or can it be adjusted?

Here were a couple of comments on Kickstarter from BF:

The stem risers will not be upwardly adjustable on this bike, though you can adjust them downward. So it may be worthwhile to choose a more upright position and then slide the stem down the riser as needed. Also, there is a fair amount of play you can achieve just by changing the stem length and flipping the angled stem down or up.
Hope that helps!
**CORRECTION**
The stem height is NOT adjustable. The height is FIXED. If you choose to lower your stem height, you MUST cut off the top of the stem riser- it is unsafe to have the riser stick above the top of the stem.
Sorry for posting incorrect information!
I just find it inexplicable a higher end bike doesn't allow for handlebar height adjustment at all. I remembered initially the Pakit was advertised as a bike that could be used by all in the family as it was adjustable. This claim was quickly dropped and it makes sense if the handlebar height is fixed.
Old 04-25-17, 06:37 AM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline
Giant, is the height of the handlebar fixed? Or can it be adjusted?

Here were a couple of comments on Kickstarter from BF:

I just find it inexplicable a higher end bike doesn't allow for handlebar height adjustment at all. I remembered initially the Pakit was advertised as a bike that could be used by all in the family as it was adjustable. This claim was quickly dropped and it makes sense if the handlebar height is fixed.
It's fixed, though you could swap out the stem or handlebars to get some modest adjustment in height and reach. You tell them what height you want it to be when you order it. Is this case I chose an upright position because this bike is for head's-up, in-traffic purposes. It is set up about like a hybrid.
Old 04-25-17, 09:41 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Since the entire stem+bars pulls off for folding, I'm thinking maybe BF would sell replacement stems at a reasonable cost and each person could have one in their size? Might have to call them to ask, but they're pretty good about stuff like that.
Old 04-25-17, 03:17 PM
iamdougsbike

Bikes: ‘15 Traitor Wander, ‘14 Scott Aspect 740, ‘12 Giant Defy 1, Xoort Swift, ‘09 GT Avalanche w/ 1000w hub motor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
I tried the Velcro for a while but didn't like it; so now I have implemented the magnet idea. So far so good. Thanks!
I ended up making a mount out of steel corner braces, aluminum tubing, and all-thread since I don't have bag loops on my saddle.

When I angled the bag to the seatpost I could feel it on the back of my leg as I rode so I'm working on a longer stand off made of electrical conduit I had laying around to hold the bag more vertical. So far I've only used zip ties to hold the stand off in place which worked fine but requires cutting them every time...

I have an old phone mount that has a quick release like the one in your photos so I'm going to mount the quick release to one side of the conduit and the bag mount part on the other end hopefully making the stand-off fully removable.

What magnets did you end up using?

Old 04-25-17, 06:41 PM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
My views on Brompton and Bike Friday are well know here so I will refrain from comment. Instead I will comment on the various Klickfix mounts and set-ups I've used. First some images...

Handlebar mount

Handlebar mount with bag

Tern Luggage Truss, Kangga Rack & Drybag on tour

Zero wobble even on rough roads. Nil. Taut and tight.

With Ortlieb bag

Zero wobble even on rough roads. Nil. Taut and tight.

Tern Kangga Rack on seatpost via caddy

Klickfix stuff ain't cheap, but it is good. I do have to report one wobble, though. It is on a Brooks basket which apparently is not finished to Klickfix tolerances so it does wobble a bit.
What rack is that with the sea to summit? Thanks
Old 04-25-17, 06:55 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, not that straightforward without a Brooks saddle.

The magnet I used is of this type:

One magnet on the pannier, steel plates on the other end such as the QR clamp that it snaps to. I don't have it at hand so can't take pics right now.
Old 04-27-17, 06:45 AM
tdonline

Giant, please post when you have had the chance to carry the Pakit around for a bit. Is it easy to haul around? Would like to know more than just in terms of weight. Is it unwieldy? And of course, how it goes into standard size luggage.
Old 04-28-17, 07:01 AM
Giant Doofus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline
Giant, please post when you have had the chance to carry the Pakit around for a bit. Is it easy to haul around? Would like to know more than just in terms of weight. Is it unwieldy? And of course, how it goes into standard size luggage.
Yesterday I needed to haul it in and out of the back of the car and up and down a flight of stairs. It was fine for both, but I wouldn't want to carry it for a much longer distance than that. I made sure to carry it chain side out (mine isn't a belt drive) to avoid grease on my clothes and hands. I'll probably try to figure out a cover for it once I start taking it on and off of a city bus on a regular basis.

I'll be packing it into a suitcase soon for a trip overseas. I'll post back here to let you know how that goes. I'll also post back about how using it on public transportation works out.
Old 04-30-17, 12:59 PM
tdonline

Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
Yesterday I needed to haul it in and out of the back of the car and up and down a flight of stairs. It was fine for both, but I wouldn't want to carry it for a much longer distance than that. I made sure to carry it chain side out (mine isn't a belt drive) to avoid grease on my clothes and hands. I'll probably try to figure out a cover for it once I start taking it on and off of a city bus on a regular basis.

I'll be packing it into a suitcase soon for a trip overseas. I'll post back here to let you know how that goes. I'll also post back about how using it on public transportation works out.
Enjoy your trip! And definitely looking forward to every tidbit you can share.
Old 05-12-17, 08:36 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Still deciding if I should add Bike Friday's latest model to my stable. Thanks BFold of NYC for letting me try your Pakit demo model! I even asked them to swap the stock saddle for the store's Brooks Cambium C15 Carved tester/loaner.
Bike Friday Pakit vs Brompton by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 05-13-17, 10:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
PakIt comes apart , the Fold is just the rear, coming around the front.

so It Is Like Their travel bikes , in that you have the loose parts to deal with, .. seat , bar mast + the front wheel, pedals?

There are so many Bromptons around the globe, dealers will have spare parts, the few you may need.

Tires brake pads , chains are common parts..

I just got a 2nd hand Season Tikit, 9 speed Sram IGH, it is the Bi Fri Hyperfold.. my new town bike..
A toe strap locks the frame, keeping it from folding to eagerly, which it does, otherwise..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-13-17 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-14-17, 05:59 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I am not sure, but think they must have added this model recently as I don't recall seeing it: https://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/configure/2187

A 4 speed SA (no drivetrain parts hanging off) for $1250 stock.
Old 07-04-17, 01:00 AM
residuenyc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saw a nice looking Packit on Coney Island. Surprised to see it locked up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
php20hRx6PM-01.jpg (20.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 01-14-18, 06:28 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
More ways to carry stuff on a folding bike.
https://www.cyclingabout.com/carryin...on-tern-dahon/
Old 01-14-18, 11:23 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Most folks getting a pakiT most likely; already own a bike(s).
And most likely; already have some kind of luggage. So in my
case I already have 2 Bromptons and a front bag. When I got
my pakiT; I used my Brompton/Demano bag - as a messenger
bag using the shoulder strap:
North Brooklyn Farms, NYC by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

This was ok for short trips. But I wanted something for longer rides and heavier loads.
I went with a Revelate Designs Sweetroll Bag. Pretty nice, well made/designed. Size is
adjustable. Here I have it at the smallest dimension, just for some tools/spares:
Bike Friday pakiT from BFold of NYC by 1nterceptor, on Flickr