Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mixing Sealants?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mixing Sealants?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-23, 08:46 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Mixing Sealants?

I used Orange Seal with the expected good results. However, I switched to Silca Sealant after the initial glowing reviews. It performed amazing initially plugging a 5mm cut immediately and permanently Massive mistake as the carbon material began to clump together, and it wouldn't seal worth a damn. The final insult the latex, pooled and hardened in two of my wheelsets, becoming impossible to remove. I reached out to Silca, and they just stated they know the problem and are working on it. So from now on, they are dead to me.

The question is, can Orange Seal and Stans be mixed upon replenishment? What if the original material has dried out and the replenishment material is different? Anyone who has experience with this, your help would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-23, 11:24 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I generally wouldn't recommend mixing fluids, Just use what you use if you like a certain one clean out the tire decently well and and use that fluid and keep using that fluid.

Some might be similar but in the end they are different formulations and could react differently to not seal or cause potential issues.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-28-23, 04:00 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
I would only try it knowing that it might not work out well.
I don't think it'll cause any problems with the rim itself, but it might require a new tire & tire/valve.
Old 06-28-23, 06:48 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
As long as they are all latex based mix away. It might not be optimal but I'm not taking a tire off just to add more sealant.
Likes For Canker:
Old 06-28-23, 06:58 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
Don't mix them. The manufacturers all recommend against it and it will likely cause the fluid to clot early or not at all.

But dried latex is not really an issue - it shouldn't react with the new fluid.
Old 06-28-23, 07:03 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Could you go into more detail about the Silca? I'm using it myself. Does it dry out quickly? Should I take the tires off and inspect?
Old 06-29-23, 08:16 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
This is a pertinent thread thread for me also. I’ve been using Orange Endurance for a few years and, while I have no complaints with it, there always seems to be something better coming out that I think of of trying. In this case, it was the Silca sealant since I, too, read the great reviews about it.

Initially, I was going to replenish the Orange by adding Silca. When the riding season ends here in the Boston area, I was going to clean out whatever mixture was in the tires and inject only the Silca sealant. So, I will be paying close attention to this thread and very interested in hearing more on what Silca admits is an existing problem with its sealant.

Of course, I could continue using Orange Endurance only, but that would be to simple of a solution!
Old 06-29-23, 10:26 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Could you go into more detail about the Silca? I'm using it myself. Does it dry out quickly? Should I take the tires off and inspect?
I am disappointed with both the sealant and Silcas's response. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT! Generally, the new owners have stayed true to the brand with their products, and at times a bit fetish-like in their approach to marketing and promotion. That said, like Rapha, they are going after the prestige brand market with such items as hex wrenches and Aero socks being marketed as special but, in reality, nothing but a well-made item at crazy prices.

I thought their sealant would be better than the competitive products marketed, and the initial impression was such. That is not true, and why I am ticked because I thought they would stand behind what was said and provide a solution to the problem. After I sent the attached photos, Silca responded that we became aware of the issue and worked to resolve it in future formulations. Notice the pooled latex has no carbon particles. Followed by the carbon particles clumped together, rendering them useless. My attempt to remove the latex was futile; it adhered to the tire. My use case was extreme, and I am partially responsible for the pooled latex. I had topped up the tire before an extended self-supported ride in Vietnam with 3 oz of sealant, parked the bike upon return, and left it for a few weeks, at which point the latex congealed. That said, I had never had such an issue after years of sealant use and love the benefits of tubeless for general cycling, especially when on extended tours.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 06-29-23 at 10:42 AM.