Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice On Used Bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Advice On Used Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23, 11:51 PM
rbaer25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice On Used Bikes

Hi,
Hoping for some help. I know very little about bikes, but I do a lot of street riding, at least what I consider a lot for me, about 50-75 miles a week. I currently have a Timberline FS GT, which I like, but I always feel like I'm slow on the bike, and that is probably because I'm a slow rider. A friend very graciously offered to give me two of his bikes he doesn't ride anymore. I'm wondering if either one would improve me ride in any way? The two bikes are: the Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 3 and the Schwinn Le Tour, . Any advice?
Old 07-23-23, 12:05 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Try riding them and see.
Likes For csport:
Old 07-23-23, 06:44 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
The Paramount is a much newer bike, made after Schwinn stopped using Waterford for nearly all of the Paramount models https://waterfordbikes.com/w/culture...bikes-1989-94/. It would have been made in Asian factories for Schwinn. The earlier bikes made in Wisconsin by Waterford are high quality and still in much demand.
Most of the LeTours were made by Panasonic in Japan. I remember them from the early 1970s when you could buy a Panasonic bike for around 30% less than the same model with "Schwinn Approved" labels on the components. If the labels are still on the frame look for Made in Japan. It was Schwinn's attempt to sell a basic 10 speed bike that didn't better serve as a substitute for barbells than a bike. You can read an extensive story about the Le Tour here https://frugalaveragebicyclist.com/2...oogle_vignette.
Old 07-23-23, 07:34 AM
WT160

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Yes, give them a try. The two bikes you mention could be better. If the ride is harsher than you like, you could go to wider tires.
Old 07-23-23, 07:35 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts
The one that fits best.
The one you like most.
Both.
Otherwise = the Paramount.
Old 07-23-23, 07:49 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts
Will you be faster? Who knows, but at the same speed you will be using less energy on a road bike.

Old 07-23-23, 12:24 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Fit and function .... First and foremost always with any bike ... . does it fit? If ti doesn't fit and cannot be made to fit without compromising safety, it is not a good bike for you.

Since these come from the same source I would assume both will fit or not fit the same.

Second is function---which one works better. What is your budget for refurbishing? Do you plan to do your won work or are you planning the take the new old bike to a shop?

I assume that these are older bikes and not ridden, they might have dry-rotted tires, sticky grease, vulcanized brake shoes, rusty cables .... do either of them have damage? When parked, did each shift and brake properly?

(do not read: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...eries-3-a.html)

The paramount is the more modern offering and is more likely to accept modern components. I believe the Le Tour stayed with 27" wheels, and possibly 126-mm dropouts, which means you might have to look for older wheels, and drive train upgrades would be limited.

If you are a slow rider ... don't expect a bike to make you anything except a slow rider on a new bike. You might gain a tiny amount of efficiency if you ride in a more aero position and if the tires have less rolling resistance, and a tiny bit of acceleration if the bike is a little lighter ....

You will probably Feel faster without that suspension fork weighing you down and with what will probably lighter wheels and tires ... but overall your numbers won't change much. However, joy of the ride numbers might increase since you will be spending a little less energy to keep your preferred pace.