Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Old dog has a new trick

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old dog has a new trick

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-24, 08:19 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Old dog has a new trick

I have shoulder problems that mess with me doing pushups.

I don't have a bench, or bars, and my heaviest dumbell is 12 pounds. For real resistance I have big straps.

So I came up with a way around it. It combines negatives with isometrics.

Get into a pushup position, at the top of the move. Slowly go down an inch or two, stop and stay there until it hurts, or you get tired of shaking. Then go down another inch, and stay there.

It works, I was surprised by how well it worked.
Likes For late:
Old 03-05-24, 09:28 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Isn’t that a “plank”?

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 03-06-24, 05:01 AM
late

Originally Posted by _ForceD_

Isn’t that a “plank”?

Dan
Nope, you don't go up or down when you do a plank.

With this one, you go down an inch at a time, and then hold it there until your arms are shaking. Several minute long pauses should have the desired effect.

I don't do planks, I tend to turn everything into a resistance exercise. So what I do is get into the plank position ten times. I've even put weight on my back while doing it. Just do a plank and go up and down.
Old 03-06-24, 06:46 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
A good suggestion. I have a torn rotator cuff and can't do the traditional push-ups.
Old 03-06-24, 10:21 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by late

It works, I was surprised by how well it worked.
What are you using to gauge how well it works?
Old 03-07-24, 07:42 AM
late

Originally Posted by DiabloScott

What are you using to gauge how well it works?
My arms are getting bigger and stronger, and they weren't making much progress before.

I did a post recently, about a recent study, that said everything works. Something like isometrics may not work as well, particularly if you have something specific in mind (like powerlifting). But if you just trying to get in better shape, most things will work.

One of the sayings is 'time under tension'. This offers a lot of time under tension.
Likes For late:
Old 03-14-24, 12:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
That slow flexion/extension full range technique is what I've been trying for a few years. Works pretty well.

I used to do full pushups, including feet up/head down pushups during my usual 5-7 mile runs, stopping about once a mile to do 20 or so pushups. But a year or so ago both of my thumbs popped out of joint at the base near the wrist. Unfortunately I've developed the same type of arthritis and joint weakness my granddad had. So I had to switch to easier inclined push-offs -- leaning against a guardrail or other elevated surface, or countertops at home -- to avoid further strain on my thumbs and wrists. Much less effective.

And I've used rubber bands in various strengths. They're okay but the inconsistent resistance is annoying, and it's difficult to get much range of motion without needing to farm-rig a support for one end of the bands -- a doorknob, chair, whatever.

I thought about trying a door mounted pullup bar, then remembered the last time I tried one it nearly ripped out the door frame in my old apartment. My current apartment has much stronger steel frames and jambs which would probably hold up, but those makeshift chin-up bars are a PITA.

My insurance includes free membership to Planet Fitness so a few weeks ago I started working out there. I can use most of the machines without straining my thumbs and wrists, and use the same slow technique, flexion and extension. I've made pretty good progress but I'm taking it slow while my muscles adapt to unfamiliar exercises. I haven't used any weight machines or lifted weights in more than 40 years when I was an amateur boxer and in the military. Back then I could crank out 20 or more pullups, easy. Now I'm lucky to finish three before needing a rest.