Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Techniques for downtube shifts while out of the saddle?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Techniques for downtube shifts while out of the saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-24, 10:02 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Watch Bauer's RIGHT hand carefully. He's the rider in the front. I'm out.

Last edited by nomadmax; 03-04-24 at 10:05 AM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 03-04-24, 10:14 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Watch Bauer's RIGHT hand carefully. He's the rider in the front. I'm out.
Yes, he does. I saw it at 100% speed and then ran the video again at 0.50% and 0.25% speed. His hand is down and back to the bars in a fraction of a second. Then he throws an elbow check, intentional or not.

Edit: his sprinting style is apparently elbows-out generally, but the elbow check was intentional. He keeps holding the elbow out as his bike rocks to the other side.

Editing again: his hand is on the shifter at almost exactly 2:03. It's most obvious at video speed 25%.

Last edited by Trakhak; 03-04-24 at 10:23 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-04-24, 10:17 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-04-24, 11:04 AM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 161 Posts
Bauer sits momentarily to shift.

At 2.05 in the Zapruder video he stands again to continue his sprint.

I guess a thread about shifting down tube shifters while standing out of the saddle was always going to descend into farce.

Last edited by seagrade; 03-04-24 at 11:09 AM.
Likes For seagrade:
Old 03-05-24, 07:59 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Split those internet hairs all you want, or go to the eye doctor. Bauer took his right hand off the bars to shift down and veered right into Claude causing him to crash. Or, look it up.
Thank you for the polite correction. What a pleasant discussion.

But my bad eyes do make it appear that he is sitting at the time.

Last edited by Kontact; 03-05-24 at 08:02 AM.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-05-24, 09:38 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
It does appear that he squats down for the shift, but he perhaps does it so (or too) quick/abrupt that one can't be sure to what if any degree that his veering into Claude were perhaps intentional (like the elbow clearly was).
Old 03-05-24, 09:44 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by seagrade

Should be easy to hold the camera/cellphone with the free hand…
These days, the cool old guys with DT shifters, can text at the same time. Put them youngsters to the curb.
Old 03-05-24, 11:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Split those internet hairs all you want, or go to the eye doctor. Bauer took his right hand off the bars to shift down and veered right into Claude causing him to crash. Or, look it up.
You're right. Smack dab at 2:04. Even with the fuzzy video quality it's easy to see he's already out of the saddle -- maybe just barely on the nose -- then reach down right at the 2:04 just as he's beginning to sit back down. Off balance and forces a collision.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-06-24, 12:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

My advice: Don't do it. Of all the things not to do on a bike, do not operate downtube shifters while standing the most. Just think of the expensive dental work, pug nose and concussion -- if you're lucky.

One of my pet peeves is reading younger riders calling downtube shifters "suicide shifters," mistaking shifters mounted on the downtube for the obsolete rod actuated shifters mounted on the downtube (or farther back for some derailleurs) used for awhile decades ago, which did require awkward reaching operate -- although "suicide shifter" is still a bit of hyperbole. But standing while operating downtube shifters? Yup, that might qualify them as suicide shifters.

I grew up with downtube shifters, raced my first crits with 'em in the 1970s, watched a zillion videos of the greats -- I've never seen a pro operate downtube shifters while out of the saddle... until that video nomadmax linked. And that didn't go well.

All of them mashed up climbs while seated, and occasionally got out of the saddle to stomp up climbs or sprint to open gaps... but always shifted while seated. With big sprockets in the 21 or 23 tooth range, nobody was doing the "spin to win" thing, which came much later with the EPO and blood doping era that boosted aerobic capacity and overcame the main limitation to spinning 100+ RPM in big sprockets. Data indicates that without EPO or blood doping, or exceptional natural aerobic capacity, spinning is less efficient. And spinning was mostly developed for the grand tours, since the lungs recovered quicker than the legs over a three week grind of almost daily racing. And if you compare the data on Strava for pros, few of them now are spinning big sprockets at blurring speed like some pros did during the 1990s-early 2000s. Chris Froome was among the last of the dedicated spin to win guys, and he's years past his prime when that method helped him dominate on climbs.

I resumed cycling in 2015 on a comfort hybrid to bet back into shape, and by 2017 was on an old school road bike -- 1989 Centurion Ironman with Suntour GPX group, including downtube shifters... and still ride that bike in that configuration. For a couple of years I rode with a pretty fast club and consistently got gapped and eventually dropped on climbs when I tried to stand to stomp the pedals or lug uphill on 52/42 13-23 gearing.

I could see the other riders smoothly shifting gears with brifters, even while standing to climb or sprint. And it always made the difference in opening a gap on fast rides. Sure, I could catch up again down the road, but I was burning up a lot more energy in the process.

By 2019 I finally joined the 20th century and got a great old 1993 Trek 5900 OCLV, which originally came with downtube shifters (the only model of Trek's elite level road racing bikes in that era that retained downtube shifters in order to save weight). I quickly switched to brifters and didn't get gapped or dropped so easily (although by then I was in my 60s, at least 20 years older than most of the other riders). And it was remarkably easy to shift while standing -- just a slight hitch or pause to allow the chain to move without drama, then go.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-06-24, 12:40 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
I have to confess that when I first read the OP, I thought it was a trick question. It would never have dawned on me to take a hand off the bars while standing and pedaling under any circumstances, much less try to reach down to shift while doing so. It still wouldn't. For my money, it is far too dangerous; just sit down, shift, stand up.

As for Steve Bauer, he was a pro. He was paid to take serious risks on a bike. We aren't.
Old 03-06-24, 07:42 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

By 2019 I finally joined the 20th century and got a great old 1993 Trek 5900 OCLV, which originally came with downtube shifters (the only model of Trek's elite level road racing bikes in that era that retained downtube shifters in order to save weight). I quickly switched to brifters and didn't get gapped or dropped so easily (although by then I was in my 60s, at least 20 years older than most of the other riders). And it was remarkably easy to shift while standing -- just a slight hitch or pause to allow the chain to move without drama, then go.
Did the 5900 have Mavic on it?
Old 03-06-24, 12:55 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I have to confess that when I first read the OP, I thought it was a trick question.
The only time I've done this is when I bumped the rear shifter with my right knee. Always requiring that I sit down and shift back down again.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 03-07-24, 11:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Kontact
Did the 5900 have Mavic on it?
Nah, it wasn't original. The previous owner had converted it to a triathlon bike, some brand of aero rims, clip-on aero bars, etc. Another BF member bought it for the wheels, tri-bar and Dura Ace group, and I bought the frame from him, which included some of the original components --Dia Compe brakes, White titanium bottom bracket, Ibis titanium stem, Chris King titanium headset. And he built it up to a good rider with Shimano 600 parts from a Centurion Ironman I have 8 and 10-speed Dura Ace groups ready to put on it when I get a round tuit. That project has been on the back burner for awhile.

The 5900 OCLV is a great frame, traditional geometry, lighter than Diamondback Podium 5 (2012 era, I think). Although the original 5900 fork is much heavier than the Podium's -- nominally carbon fiber but actually CF wrapped around a steel and aluminum core with steel steerer, while the Podium fork is the usual sorta-aero configuration large diameter hollow CF. If I had the budget and inclination I'm pretty sure I could build up that old 5900 into a 17 lb bike overall.