Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Saddle Recommendation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Saddle Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 09:19 PM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Saddle Recommendation

Looking for a comfy, quality saddle for an Electra Townie 7D. Any thoughts about Serfas and Selle saddles?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-23, 09:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Go to a bike shop and demo ride all the Sella saddles and find one that works for you. People recommending saddles is pointless since we all have different bums.

Old 06-15-23, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
First question, what is wrong with the current saddle? Has it been adjusted for you at all? How many miles do you have on it properly adjusted for you?

I wouldn't use a Serfas saddle even if paid to do so. A good saddle will support your ischial tuberosity (sit bones) and not create pressure points. The only time time I would use a super thick super soft super wide saddle is if I was riding once in a blue moon and had no ability to ride more than that or no interest. Those super soft saddles don't give you support and create pressure points and those pressure points cause pain. A wider saddle is fine for a bike like that but generally you don't want to go too wide as you won't get good support for you sit bones.

The various Selle's make decent saddles for some and some people hate them it all comes down to trying them for some longer rides and adjusting them for you.
Old 06-15-23, 09:51 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
It is kind of pointless recommending saddles. People keep asking though. A little rumination on the situation should make someone wonder if it really is the case or is it a consequence of our innate American sense of individuality that makes people need to think that each and every mouth breathing cyclist has to cycle through the entire available inventory of the saddle makers art to find THE ONE that fits their unique ... rot. Total rot. If the o.p. buys this saddle it will work for them. It will need to be the right distance from the pedals, and maybe angled up somewhat, but it is of sound construction and design, and ALL bottoms can work with it. If the mind in control of the bottom wills it thus. I have recommended this particular saddle because of the bike it needs to work with. A Bontrager Affinity saddle would look a little weird on an Electra Townie. A Brooks B17 would also work very well here but classic leather saddles are not for everyone.
Old 06-16-23, 04:44 AM
taylorgeo

Since it seems pointless recommending specific saddle models, can you recommend a few quality saddle manufacturers?

FYI: I ride recreationally on not-so-great city streets, paved bike baths – and around 10 miles a week.
Old 06-16-23, 05:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Terry saddles. Terry The website has good info about how to choose. I like the Fly Century but there are lots of choices.
Old 06-16-23, 06:07 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
This looks comfy......
https://www.amazon.ca/Velo-SD-Saddle...43762361&psc=1
Old 06-16-23, 07:36 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
I had occasion to buy and use, for a time, the Serfas TBL-40 saddle (here).
It's not excessively heavy nor wide and might do very well for your bike and needs.
Best regards
Barry
Old 06-16-23, 08:48 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by taylorgeo
Since it seems pointless recommending specific saddle models, can you recommend a few quality saddle manufacturers?

FYI: I ride recreationally on not-so-great city streets, paved bike baths – and around 10 miles a week.
There are a bunch of them out there. Pretty much all the major players in saddles make something for someone. Basically aside from super thickly padded super soft saddles the only ones I wouldn't recommend are noseless saddles as you have less control with the bike and tend to be putting a lot of extra pressure on your hands and wrists holding yourself up. WTB, Specialized, Terry, Brooks Cambium line, Selle Italia, Ergon...so many different ones. If you go to a reputable local shop more than likely many of the saddles they have will be of decent quality though some might sell some cheap stuff and some might sell some crap because it is easy to sell or people are just going to go for it despite advice but generally you will have a good chance of getting something different.
Old 06-16-23, 09:05 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

given general parameters similar to your parameters - I often recommend this seat - WTB Speed V

seat preference is highly individual - but the shape and amount of padding of this seat is agreeable with many

weigh around 350 g and price is reasonable - can often find for around $30

I typically keep one or two around to install on friends / family bikes
Old 06-16-23, 09:25 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by t2p

given general parameters similar to your parameters - I often recommend this seat - WTB Speed V

seat preference is highly individual - but the shape and amount of padding of this seat is agreeable with many

weigh around 350 g and price is reasonable - can often find for around $30

I typically keep one or two around to install on friends / family bikes
And perfect example of what many of us are talking about I did not care for that saddle but I know some people who love it. I do love WTB though that saddle just wasn't for me. I tried it on my Disc Trucker and then a nicer variant of it after complaining and a friend got it for me for my birthday one year and just couldn't get into it.
Old 06-17-23, 06:46 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Asking for the ‘best’ saddle(s) is like asking for the ‘best’ chain lube(s). There are countless opinions and, because each opinion is personal, each one of them is correct according to at least one person.

Pick one or more ‘quality’ brands and try various models. Recommending the perfect saddle for someone else is risky at best.
Old 06-17-23, 06:48 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Get ONE that your Butt Likes AFTER a 100 Mile Ride.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-17-23 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-17-23, 12:02 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
There are two answers to your question, based on the collective wisdom of the many "saddle" threads here, (1) A Brooks and (2) Anything but a Brooks.
Old 06-17-23, 12:19 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
There are two answers to your question, based on the collective wisdom of the many "saddle" threads here, (1) A Brooks and (2) Anything but a Brooks.
I have a Brooks B17 on both of my bikes and love them. But like you wrote, when I was trying to decide on what saddle to buy, some people lived them while others had one or more reasons why Brooks was an awful choice.
Old 06-17-23, 12:23 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,041 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
First question, what is wrong with the current saddle? Has it been adjusted for you at all? How many miles do you have on it properly adjusted for you?

I wouldn't use a Serfas saddle even if paid to do so. A good saddle will support your ischial tuberosity (sit bones) and not create pressure points. The only time time I would use a super thick super soft super wide saddle is if I was riding once in a blue moon and had no ability to ride more than that or no interest. Those super soft saddles don't give you support and create pressure points and those pressure points cause pain. A wider saddle is fine for a bike like that but generally you don't want to go too wide as you won't get good support for you sit bones.

The various Selle's make decent saddles for some and some people hate them it all comes down to trying them for some longer rides and adjusting them for you.
I, on the other hand have put about 35,000 miles on four different Serfas Dual Density gel saddles with the cutout. Tried dozens of other saddles, but it’s the most comfortable for me.

To the OP, everyone is different, so it’s hard to recommend a saddle for someone else. For me, it meant trying lots of different models. Not inexpensive.
Old 06-18-23, 12:06 PM
Lamont Cobb

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
+1
Old 06-18-23, 12:47 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts

Selle SMP TRK
Old 06-18-23, 02:39 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I ride recreationally on not-so-great city streets, paved bike baths – and around 10 miles a week.
If you are only riding 10 miles per week it seems to me that any saddle would work out fine. In fact, it would take more riding than that to accustom yourself to any saddle no matter how well it fits you
Old 06-18-23, 03:04 PM
taylorgeo

Thanks for all the help! I ordered a bunch, will let you know what I saddle on.
Old 06-18-23, 03:18 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,921 Posts
knowing the gender can help narrow down some choices too. not sure if you're fit for a wider rear section, snub nose front area, center cutout relief, or if firmness matters. ??
Old 06-18-23, 07:29 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Looking for a comfy, quality saddle for an Electra Townie 7D. Any thoughts about Serfas and Selle saddles?

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/E...7&ref_=ast_bln

I got the trekking saddle. Very cushy.