Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will a Shimano GRX800 wide derailleur work with an 11 speed 11-51 cassette?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 07:58 AM
guidodg

Bikes: Epic Evo expert and Topstone Lefty 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

My friend currently has an 11-42 cassette on his Cannondale Topstone with a 40T but he needs easier gearing...so can I fit a larger cassette using his existing derailleur?

Obviously the chain will be too short.

Any advice on which 11 speed cassette?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-16-23, 08:20 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
https://www.garbaruk.com/rear-derail...-11-speed.html

That is a link to a long derailleur cage for the GRX. Though the stated max for GRX is 42 tooth, you can likely stretch that out a bit. The Garabuk cage states max of 51 tooth.
Old 12-16-23, 10:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
It won't work with something that large. GRX is 42 max I believe and while you could maybe eek out a few more teeth I would just pick a different front ring and call it a day.

The Garabuk cage looks neat but a bit more faff than a new front ring. Though they did make one for Di2 so I am kind of thinking damn I could build up the bike I want.
Old 12-16-23, 11:06 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I don't think there's anyway the stock derailleur would work. It has a stated capacity of 31T (what you get now with a 11-42 cassette). While Shimano is known to be conservative, and you could work with a somewhat larger cassette, I don't think you could push it to an 11-51. Maybe that Garbaruk cage delbiker1 linked would work. But aside from the cage, you need pulley wheels, though maybe you could use the wheels of the existing derailleur.

I think the reality is your friend should have gotten the the 2x instead of the 1x setup. While a smaller ring upfront would give him a lower end, even a 40-11 combination isn't a lot of top end as it is. If you reduced that to be the equivalent of changing the cassette from a 42 to a 51, you would need a 33T ring and top end speed would be about 25 MPH at a cadence of 100 RPM. Plenty high on the flat for a mere mortal, but they would spin out on most any fast descent.

Of course, this all depends on how they are using the bike. If they are really doing mostly off-road and more trails than fast gravel or paved roads, then maybe they don't need much top end and a smaller chain ring is the simple solution.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 12-17-23, 09:51 PM
guidodg

Thank you all for the replies.... which derailleur will work with a GRX800 gravel lever and a 11-51 cassette?
Old 12-17-23, 11:28 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by guidodg
Thank you all for the replies.... which derailleur will work with a GRX800 gravel lever and a 11-51 cassette?
I don't think there is any derailleur that will just work. The GRX uses a road shifter cable pull and you're looking for a MTB range derailleur. For whatever reason, the Shimano road and MTB system are not comparable, at least for 11 speed. Meaning, the amount of cable pull to shift to the next gear is different between road and MTB systems.

But what you could do is use an MTB derailleur like the Shimano Deore RD-M5100-SGS which is rated for an 11-51 cassette. But again, this uses an MTB pull. So, you could use is a Wolftooth TanPan device. This is a little pulley thing that will convert the pull of a road shifter to the pull of an MTB derailleur. I've used one before and it works quite well.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/tanpan

I think this could be a better solution than trying to extend the range of the exiting derailleur with a longer cage. You'd be using a derailleur designed for exactly the cassette you want to use.

Also, if you decide to go this route, please double check my suggestions to make sure it is what you need.
Old 12-18-23, 01:51 AM
guidodg

ok, cheapest and easiest is a 38T with an 11-46....

living in South Africa the aftermarket components are hard to get unfortunately...thanks so much for all your kind help!!
Likes For guidodg:
Old 12-19-23, 01:37 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Just bought a GRX800 (812, medium cage) derailleur to use on my gravel/commuter bike. Will install it later this week and hopefully it will work with the 42t chainring and 11-46 cassette I currently use. According to information I found online before purchasing, it should work, but I'll update here if it does or doesn't.
Old 12-26-23, 04:55 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
ok, cheapest and easiest is a 38T with an 11-46....

living in South Africa the aftermarket components are hard to get unfortunately...thanks so much for all your kind help!!
I just installed my GRX 812 Derailleur on my 42t / 11-46t gravel / commuter bike a couple of days ago. The derailleur DOES work with the 11-46 cassette, but I doubt you'd be able to go any bigger than than that (and almost certainly not 51t), as the shifting is not as precise as it would be with a smaller cassette and you don't have much more adjustment on the B-adjustment screw at this point since since you need to push in the B-adjustment screw close to all the way to get it clear the 46t large cog.
Old 12-26-23, 04:53 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I recently installed a GRX 820 12 speed driveline on a bike I was building, it is a 1x11 with a 10x51 cassette. The derailleur would likely work on an 11 speed bike, though the jockey pulleys would probably have to be changed because of the different roller size on the 12 speed chain.
Old 12-26-23, 05:34 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
This S-Ride claims to work with a 50t max cog.