Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mechanic vs Di2 Maintenance

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 01:36 PM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I have three drop bar bikes, all with mechanical shifting (one with friction shifting). With my racing bike, I've been frustrated by the amount of maintenance I've been having to do on it. Sometimes, it has been with the barrel adjuster being off. Just as often, it seems like the derailleur hanger bends a lot, even though I always replace them after they bend (this is not an issue with my other bikes). This has made me consider replacing my racing bike with a bike with Di2. IF I get a bike with Di2, I'd prefer Ultegra Di2 with rim brakes. I know people feel strongly about electronic or mechanical one way or another. I'm open-minded, and keeping my maintenance to a minimum is my biggest issue. I have a few questions:
  • Would I be performing less maintenance/making less trips to the LBS with electronic shifting? Or, would I just be replacing one problem with another?
  • How does Di2 perform with a mildly bent derailleur hanger? Does it also suck? If not, will it just get more bent over time if it isn't straightened?
  • Is it possible that the biggest culprit of my shifting issues on my racing bike is the combination of the frame and derailleur hanger? This wasn't nearly as big of an issue with my previous racing bike, and my other two drop bar bikes are both chromoly, so their derailleur hangers are integrated.

Last edited by AMoney; 01-29-24 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-29-24, 02:44 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I have never bent a mech hanger. What are you doing to them?

Di2 wouldn’t like it either but eliminates cable issues
Old 01-29-24, 03:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
There's an underlaying problem if you are constantly bending derailer hangers. I have bent a hanger maybe twice in 35 years and had a shop fix it.

Moving to Di2 is not going to solve your bent hanger issues, as Di2 is every bit as sensitive and possibly harder to accommodate a bent hanger, the way you do with a mechanical by over compensating with cable tension.

As Choddo stated, Di2 does eliminate the need to replace cable and housing, but you still need to replace the cassette and chain every few years when they wear out.
Old 01-29-24, 04:29 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Ditto, Di2 is as sensitive to a bent hanger as mechanical. I don't think it is worse though. You can still electronically adjust the derailleur in or out like you would with mechanical. While technically possible, Shimano has NOT designed the Di2 systems to give you individual gear position adjustment. Just like mechanical cable adjustment, the single Di2 adjustment affects all gear positions.

I also wonder why you are bending hangers so much. I assume something to do with transporting the bike.

In general, a Di2 system will need less adjustment than mechanical. Di2 is sort of set and forget. There's no cable to stretch or get dirty, or barrel adjuster that can move. I have Ultegra Di2 on a bike I bought last July, so about 6 months of use, and once I got it set, I've not had to touch it since then and have about 2,500 miles.
Old 01-29-24, 04:38 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
I have three drop bar bikes, all with mechanical shifting (one with friction shifting). With my racing bike, I've been frustrated by the amount of maintenance I've been having to do on it. Sometimes, it has been with the barrel adjuster being off. Just as often, it seems like the derailleur hanger bends a lot, even though I always replace them after they bend (this is not an issue with my other bikes).
Di2 won't help with those problems. And I'll add to the chorus of posters asking what are you doing to all of those derailleur hangers? Are you crashing (and landing on the drive side) that much?
Old 01-29-24, 04:41 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
If bent hangers are a common problem, consider swapping the hanger for one made by Wheels Manufacturing, they tend to be a bit stiffer than the average stock hanger that comes on a bike.
Old 01-29-24, 05:09 PM
AMoney

Originally Posted by Koyote
Di2 won't help with those problems. And I'll add to the chorus of posters asking what are you doing to all of those derailleur hangers? Are you crashing (and landing on the drive side) that much?
Over the years, I've had a number of different bikes. On some bikes, the derailleur hangers rarely bent. On one bike I had, it seemed to bend, often badly, after every three rides. I probably went through 10 derailleur hangers before selling the bike because of all of the issues I was having with that derailleur hanger.

As for this bike, I've probably went through 3 derailleur hangers in a span of 2 years. I did switch to Wheels Manufacturing derailleur hanger. On this bike, the derailleur hanger doesn't bend too badly, definitely not as bad as the bike I mentioned above. For that reason, it is sometimes hard for me to tell if the cause of the subpar shifting is because of the tension or the bent derailleur hanger (but my LBS can tell). I don't lean or drop this bike on the drive-side any more than on my other bikes (I never intentionally do this with any of my bikes). Is it possible that the design of the derailleur hanger for this particular frame is weaker than the derailleur hangers for my other bikes?

In any case, thanks for letting me know that Di2 wouldn't solve this particular problem.
Old 01-29-24, 05:58 PM
Koyote

Over the years, I've had a number of different bikes. On some bikes, the derailleur hangers rarely bent. On one bike I had, it seemed to bend, often badly, after every three rides. I probably went through 10 derailleur hangers before selling the bike because of all of the issues I was having with that derailleur hanger.

As for this bike, I've probably went through 3 derailleur hangers in a span of 2 years. I did switch to Wheels Manufacturing derailleur hanger. On this bike, the derailleur hanger doesn't bend too badly, definitely not as bad as the bike I mentioned above. For that reason, it is sometimes hard for me to tell if the cause of the subpar shifting is because of the tension or the bent derailleur hanger (but my LBS can tell). I don't lean or drop this bike on the drive-side any more than on my other bikes (I never intentionally do this with any of my bikes). Is it possible that the design of the derailleur hanger for this particular frame is weaker than the derailleur hangers for my other bikes?

In any case, thanks for letting me know that Di2 wouldn't solve this particular problem.
Derailer hangers do not spontaneously bend, since they are not actually under load. They only bend under impact or some other catastrophic event.

I suspect you are having some other problems… But I have no idea what could be going on.
Old 01-29-24, 08:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
As Koyote noted derailleur hangers don't just bend. I would suggest figuring out why they are getting bent so often. It could be as simple as you laying your bike in the back of a vehicle on the drive side or leaning on the drive side elsewhere or you are really crashing a lot or something like that. We probably won't know what actually happens though.

In the case of mechanical vs. Di2 I would say Di2 is pretty low maintenance and with the new Di2 it is super easy to adjust without a tool just using a phone. It is really a ton of fun and way better than SRAM AXS which only allows you to adjust all the gears at once vs each individual on Shimano. With electronic shifting there are no cables to adjust or fray. However in the end a good quality derailleur and proper initial adjustment will generally lead to fewer issues to no issues.

Though truth be told Di2 vs. mechanical is not going to change much if you are damaging your hanger like that often.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-29-24, 08:45 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Maybe start with a new bike that has a UDH standard and get a T-type AXS setup. I bet after that, all your hanger and shifting problems will go away.
Old 01-30-24, 12:12 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts

As for this bike, I've probably went through 3 derailleur hangers in a span of 2 years. I did switch to Wheels Manufacturing derailleur hanger. On this bike, the derailleur hanger doesn't bend too badly, definitely not as bad as the bike I mentioned above. For that reason, it is sometimes hard for me to tell if the cause of the subpar shifting is because of the tension or the bent derailleur hanger (but my LBS can tell).
On the bike(s) where the RD hanger(s) bend(s) for no apparent reason, is/are the chain(s) too short for big/big?

I have also been studying Di2 in consideration of an upgrade, but as far as I can tell the only advantages are (1) faster shifts (meh) and (2) not having to replace shift cables every 2 years or so. My theory is that since Di2 now comes with 12 speeds and (potentially) closer cog spacer, a bent RD hanger would affect shifting even more prominently than on a 11-speed mechanic drivetrain.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-30-24, 12:56 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
A bent hanger had NOTHING to to with the quality of your derailleur system.

Before spending a penny on upgrades or changes, find out how and why the hanger is bending and fix that.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-30-24, 01:00 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir

I have also been studying Di2 in consideration of an upgrade, but as far as I can tell the only advantages are (1) faster shifts (meh) and (2) not having to replace shift cables every 2 years or so. My theory is that since Di2 now comes with 12 speeds and (potentially) closer cog spacer, a bent RD hanger would affect shifting even more prominently than on a 11-speed mechanic drivetrain.
it’s also just a different experience. a tap of a button instead of pushing the whole lever over. no lateral lever movement at all when braking. at least compared to my GRX bike, it’s night and day. faster, more reliable (for the maintenance reasons you note), more satisfying, more flexible (make whatever button do whatever you want,) easier to adjust. as for the spacing… 10,000+ 12 speed di2 miles and I have literally never had to adjust anything, and while it’s possible the derailleur hanger is in the exact same position as it was, it seems more likely that it’s some tiny amount off from accumulated abuse and in fact the system is no less forgiving than 11 mechanical speeds.

i would never buy a mechanical shift bike again, but that’s just me!
Likes For mschwett:
Old 01-30-24, 01:59 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
On the bike(s) where the RD hanger(s) bend(s) for no apparent reason, is/are the chain(s) too short for big/big?.........
That was my first thought about someone that seems to bend the hanger on a somewhat regular basis.
Old 01-30-24, 07:39 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
The reason for why you are bending the hanger is independent of the level of maint required for Di2. I have an 11-speed Di2 on my bike and other than 1-2 times during the riding season (I live in the Boston area), the only maint I perform is to recharge the Di2 battery. While I have no need to make adjustments on how the Di2 system operates, you can adjust, configure and play with it as much as you want via the etube app which communicates to Di2 via Bluetooth.
Old 01-30-24, 08:05 AM
Koyote

Caveat: My Di2 is 11 speed. But I don't find the shifting any faster than a good mechanical system -- in fact, with my shift speed set to four (on a five point scale) it is a little slower than a good mechanical system. (I've been told that setting the shift speed to five raises the odds of buggering it up.) It's especially noticeable when shifting both derailleurs at the same time, as when starting a hill or cresting one -- it seems like the system shifts one derailleur, then the other. With a mech system, it's easy to push both levers at once and execute simultaneous shifting.

Never having to worry about shift cables is great, especially since 11sp Shimano is known for shredding cables inside the shifters.

Another unanticipated benefit is that Di2 can connect via bluetooth to a cycling computer, which can be programmed to show your current gear combo on the display -- it's great when climbing in rough terrain (gravel or mtb) and I want to know if I still have a bailout gear without looking at my rear wheel. Also, I've got my shifters' top (auxillliary) buttons can be programmed to scroll through the display screens -- or with a long press they turn my taillight on or off. Surprisingly useful.

Last edited by Koyote; 01-30-24 at 08:35 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-30-24, 08:18 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
I have mechanical Ultegra and other than replacing cables every year or so, not much maintenance.

My friends with Di2 or SRAM electric seem to always be taking their bikes to the shop for something.

That said, I certainly would buy electric next time, just like a car, but new-and-improved doesn't necessarily mean less maintenance.
Old 01-30-24, 08:53 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Maybe you need to put kickstands on your bikes so they won't fall over.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-30-24, 09:07 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
I switched from 11 speed Ultegra to 12 speed 105 Di2 around 18 months ago and love my Di2. It is nearly maintenance free...which I actually complain about...No more checking the adjustment of the derailleurs for cable stretch...or whatever you want to call it.
I also use submersive waxing for my chain so even less maintenance as I'm not using agents to degrease my chain, remove the degreaser, lube the chain, let it soak in then wipe off the excess. Now I just replace the chain with a freshly waxed one every two or three weeks. Yes I do have to clean the 'used' chains but I wait until I've used the last good chain...I have three in rotation...then I do them all at once. I always measure the wear on the old chain when replacing it.

I had no problems with the mechanical Ultegra 11 speed system except I found that shifting the front derailleur took more force than I expected...I went from the long arm version to the latest because Shimano said it took less force to shift but I found the difference barely noticeable. No matter how I finagled it took more force than I expected...I have small hands and shortish fingers which is the likely reason.
The rear derailleur was perfect.

I have the 12 speed Di2 set up for the fastest shifting mode and it is amazing. What I really like is the internals are the same across the board...Dura Ace, Ultegra use the same internals, just the externals are changed. Oh and the front derailleur is the 'old' style Dura Ace, not the sleeker brain new version but that is fine as I generally don't look down at the shifter while riding.

Regarding rear mech hangers...I have found some to be much less robust and reliable than others. It depends on the maker. Some are so cut out that I've wondered if they may flex and/or bend under heavy load shifting...trying to shift to an easier gear while in the big ring and climbing a steep grade while out of the saddle is one example. That is a lot of load.
My 'wondering' is based on over 30 years in the bike biz working at several shops as a salesperson, builder, wrench monkey and service manager...all the way from 5 speed down tube friction bikes to today's...including recent builds of a SWorks SL8 with a full Dura Ace 12 speed groupo and an Aethos with 12 speed Ultegra as well as building my Aethos with 12 speed 105.

My only caveats is the potential for failure in electronic systems. It is there and should be considered. Electronics can fail and usually do because of the manufacturing defect...if this defects pops up during the warranty period, woohoo it is covered but if it doesn't until the warranty is expired you are SOL.
Mechanical systems generally don't fail...the mechs, brakes, etc...they can last decades even with abuse and still work fine once serviced.
If an electronic part fails it fails...it is dead, done and you have to replace it. Fortunately it doesn't happen often but it does as is validated by some of the posts on this site offered by people affected. And at the replacement cost it is something to be considered...this sh i t isn't cheap lol.

Going back to maintenance. As I said I usually replace my chain maybe every two to three weeks, sometimes going for a full month at this time of year as my bike is on a smart trainer for the winter. During 'road' season I replace the chain every two weeks or sooner if caught in the rain or I did a ride/event/race that had sandy roads and my bike had a coating of dust, etc. on it after the event. Back to the trainer...I put the bike on my stand, check the chain wear with a Park tool, replace the chain and give the bike a good wipe down with either Bike Lust or something similar...I have a couple of different products I use but none of them stand out as "oh my goodness this is amazing"...they just work. I generally seldom check the rear mech hanger, the Aethos hanger is pretty robust but I do have six spare hangers...oops I clicked twice when ordering and only wanted three lol...I did bend one once when my bike fell over, of course onto the drive side. It was only on grass but is did bend enough to cause the shifting to be wonky and even adjusting the cable tension did not fix it completely. When I checked it at home it had a decent bend to it...this was using the Ultegra mech system.

Wow, I did not intend this to be so long but there you have it. I'm done now. Ride on !
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 01-30-24, 09:09 AM
AMoney

On the bike(s) where the RD hanger(s) bend(s) for no apparent reason, is/are the chain(s) too short for big/big?
On my bikes, I use the "big-big" method to size the chains. I double-checked the chain length on my road bike. There are 2 extra links on my road bike. I am skeptical that the chain is too short. I don't think that this is likely, but is there any possibility that the combination of a relatively large cassette in the back (11-32) and the aggressive geometry of my bike has anything to do with the derailleur hanger bending?
Old 01-30-24, 09:14 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Caveat: My Di2 is 11 speed. But I don't find the shifting any faster than a good mechanical system -- in fact, with my shift speed set to four (on a five point scale) it is a little slower than a good mechanical system. (I've been told that setting the shift speed to five raises the odds of buggering it up.) It's especially noticeable when shifting both derailleurs at the same time, as when starting a hill or cresting one -- it seems like the system shifts one derailleur, then the other. With a mech system, it's easy to push both levers at once and execute simultaneous shifting.

Never having to worry about shift cables is great, especially since 11sp Shimano is known for shredding cables inside the shifters.

Another unanticipated benefit is that Di2 can connect via bluetooth to a cycling computer, which can be programmed to show your current gear combo on the display -- it's great when climbing in rough terrain (gravel or mtb) and I want to know if I still have a bailout gear without looking at my rear wheel. Also, I've got my shifters' top (auxillliary) buttons can be programmed to scroll through the display screens -- or with a long press they turn my taillight on or off. Surprisingly useful.
I was unaware that you could change the Di2 shifting speed. Is that done thru the ETube app?
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 01-30-24, 09:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Bending hangers could be from how you transport the bike. Particularly if more than one bike is involved. If you have kids, don't underestimate what those little angels are capable of when out of sight. They might be climbing up to get to something behind where the bike is kept and stepping on the RD sometimes.
Old 01-30-24, 09:17 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by oldwinger14
I was unaware that you could change the Di2 shifting speed. Is that done thru the ETube app?
Yes.
Old 01-30-24, 09:17 AM
AMoney

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Maybe start with a new bike that has a UDH standard and get a T-type AXS setup. I bet after that, all your hanger and shifting problems will go away.
I'm definitely interested in the UDH standard, but why would it matter if I get AXS over Di2?
Old 01-30-24, 09:27 AM
oldwinger14

Yes.
Found it....thanks!
Likes For oldwinger14:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.