Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding post blood donation

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-24, 04:29 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts

I've been donating blood regularly since the 90's. For many years, I didn't do anything different after donating and didn't really notice any lack of energy or any other side effects. That changed some years ago when I started to notice that I could't just do whatever I felt like it the day after donating and I would feel the difference for several days.

I gave blood yesterday and went for a ride today. I would normally take the day off but I haven't been able to ride for several days and really want to get some miles in. I chose a relatively flat route and just took it really easy, covering 48 miles with only 1700ft. of climbing at a 14.5 avg. speed. Even taking it really easy, I felt pretty crappy the first 10 miles; some body aches and general lack of energy. I focused on keeping my heart rate down and cadence in the high 80's-low 90's and that worked reasonably well. As the ride went on, I started to feel better and besides being slow I feel good about the ride.

For those that give blood, wondering if you do anything different afterwards or feel the effects.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 03-22-24, 06:15 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I donate double reds, so I definitely notice a performance hit. I don't feel bad, but I don't sprint for the green lights for a week or so... I just get tired and winded really quickly. Endurance doesn't seem to be much of a problem if I don't do anything high intensive.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 03-22-24, 07:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Giving blood has always hit me hard. In my racing days I simply didn't. Instead, I gave platelets. Much longer donation, usually with a needle in each arm but you get all your red blood cells back and all but about 5 oz of plasma. My first platelet donation, I got off the machine, rode 20 miles to the club race, won and rode 20 miles home. Sold! (Never raced again on donation day; racing with bandages on each arm.) Gave platelets all through my three seasons of racing save time off after my big crash. And many times since. Now retired from donating because each arm has hit triple figures for needles.

A side bonus giving platelets. Several times I got hugs from total strangers on my way out. (They were donating for a loved one with cancer. Really appreciated us donors just doing it.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-22-24, 07:52 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Men take about 21 days to replace the red blood cells given in blood donation. Taking a few days off after donating is a good thing. Rest, eat well, think good thoughts, let your body do its recovery...
Old 03-23-24, 03:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Men take about 21 days to replace the red blood cells given in blood donation. Taking a few days off after donating is a good thing. Rest, eat well, think good thoughts, let your body do its recovery...
+1.

Me: Doc, it hurts when I laugh.

Doc: So don’t laugh.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-23-24, 03:22 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
Pretend you're riding in the mountains. It's the same thing.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-23-24, 06:30 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Giving blood has always slowed me down noticeably for at least several days, which is why I have limited myself to once per year.

Someone told me that past age 75 (coming up in summer 2025), you have to get a doctor's permission to donate blood. Is that a national Red Cross thing, or just with local chapters or San Diego Blood Bank and similar regional organizations?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-25-24, 08:01 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Giving blood has always slowed me down noticeably for at least several days, which is why I have limited myself to once per year.

Someone told me that past age 75 (coming up in summer 2025), you have to get a doctor's permission to donate blood. Is that a national Red Cross thing, or just with local chapters or San Diego Blood Bank and similar regional organizations?
That’s not a Red Cross thing.
This 74 year old hasn’t donated in 6 months but am signed up for this Friday. 17 Red Cross donations in past 9 years. And a bunch more going back to my mid-twenties when my girlfriend/future wife persuaded me to donate. She was a med tech in a hospital lab and I was a nurse at the same hospital, so we both understood the need for donors.
Later, when we lived in Atlanta, I biked to and from donations with no ill effects.
Old 03-26-24, 08:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
4 days after your blood donation your EPO levels might be higher than usual. Might be a good time to see if you can break any PR's you have.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-26-24, 06:41 PM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I do power reds (doubles) and have few issues even in my mid 60’s, maybe I am just lucky. 3 weeks before donation I add tons of spinach to my diet. I eat steamed vegis, salads, a lot of chicken, fish, red meat but only closer to donations. I eat practically no processed foods. Lots of hydrating in the days leading up to a donation & after. I don’t ride the day of and the day after. Good luck, it was a lifestyle change for me.
Old 04-04-24, 01:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Lately, I've been donating platelets instead of whole blood. The red cells are returned to your system in the process, so no anemic lethargy afterward.
Old 04-06-24, 09:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I've never noticed any decrease in my energy level. I don't tell the staff at the blood center that I plan to ride, because they will try to talk me out of it. Maybe I should listen, but so far, so good. It's interesting how different people have different results from donating.

I've also switched to donating platelets. They request that of frequent donors, because we've proven willingness to lie there and endure the discomfort. @79pmooney, they have changed the method so now there is only one needle. There are alternating cycles of pulling and pushing of a few minutes each.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-07-24, 12:13 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Years ago, I used to give blood fairly regularly - 3 or 4 times a year. Never noticed a problem when riding. Then one year I gave just before the FANY ride - Five hundred miles Across New York - a week long ride averaging about 70 miles a day. Started out the first day, no problem until about the 30 mile mark, I just couldn't go any more, so I pulled off the road and took a nap. Eventually made it to camp that evening. Was pretty slow for the next few days, but finished the ride OK. After that, I only give blood if I'm sure I won't be riding the next day or so. Since I try to ride every day, it means I rarely give blood any more.
Likes For groth:
Old 04-07-24, 06:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I started grad school in the fall, and it doesn't feel right to allocate the three hours to donate platelets, so I haven't done it. They keep calling and pleading. I'll do it when I can.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-11-24, 07:52 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
In my college days no problem which is good as I only had a bike, in my 70s I always take a rest day. There is no reason to push beyond the recommendations. I am type O neg the universal donor so get strongly prompted by the red cross if I am slow to return.
Old 04-11-24, 08:23 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I'm in my mid-50s and I do endurance and ultra-endurance events, I've regularly donated whole blood for 10+ years but I'll avoid donating 8-10 weeks prior to an event.

I've biked to donation centers (we're a car-lite house, I bike most places I go), and that gets some interesting responses from the folks at the donation center. Like the OP, I focus on my heart rate riding home from the donation and take a week off any intense training, but will ride for errands/commuting. As I've gotten older, I feel the effects of donating more, I'd describe it like the day after an endurance event - feeling tired, weak, no real power in the legs.

I take iron supplements 3 times a week while training; and prior to donating, I'll go to daily iron supplements a week prior to donating and 3 weeks after ... and don't forget to get your vitamin C to help with iron absorption.

I saw a post or two talking about double-red donations, I have to say that double-red donation wrecked me for a couple weeks, I've read that endurance athletes suffer double-red more than the general population.

All that said, every body is different, and it's critical we all listen to our body and it's needs.

My drop-bar fatbike leaning on the local bloodmobile

Old 04-11-24, 09:29 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I saw a post or two talking about double-red donations, I have to say that double-red donation wrecked me for a couple weeks,
I had a lab tech check my hematocrit before AND after a double red donation once - it was a noticeable drop for sure.

*Found it: my hematocrit dropped from 43.8 to 38.7
Likes For DiabloScott: