Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Repair liner stitching on shorts (and subsequent prevention)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 11:44 PM
hebecb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

About a year ago I got a Specialized Evo saddle and i'm pretty happy with it for the most part. Since getting it I've done several 100+ mile rides included a couple doubles and no issues EXCEPT that this thing seems to be eating my shorts.

I've had the stitching on at least 4 shorts go out on me since switching to this saddle. Different makes but all quality shorts (e.g Sugio RS). I've read that the evo's nose is a little wider that normal so that may be contributing but for this post I'm curious if folks have successfully re-stitched the liners into their shorts. They've all failed in the same place narrow part of the butter fly... right where my inner thighs touch the nose of the saddle. We've got a small sewing machine and I'll give it a go but I was curious if others had success with this and had any suggestions/recommendations.

Has anyone encountered this sort of problem before (evo or otherwise)? Short of replacing the saddle (which I may have to do ) I'm wondering if I could put some teflon or something onto the nose of the saddle.
Old 04-04-15, 11:57 PM
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a semi-experienced seamstress.... Unless you have worked with fabric before you may want to give it a pass. Very stretchy fabric is a huge pain to work with. Huge. You have to hold it at tension and might need to use a machine called a serger. (Which is a fairly expensive and special tool.)

Now if you are sewing up not so stretchy stuff (think regular denim or even skinny fit jean stuff) have at it. Might want to look up gusset and jeans repair. It's actually pretty easy.
Old 04-05-15, 06:06 AM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I have a similar problem with one brand and model of shorts. These are great shorts for long rides. Unfortunately, the stitching on the chamois starts to unravel after a few rides. I take the shorts to a local tailor, and he uses some sort of fancy stitch. The shorts are good to go from then on.
Old 04-05-15, 07:53 AM
cradom

Bikes: Schwinn Sport Tourer, Dawes Lightning Tourer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on the serger. If your machine has it you might get by with a zig zag stitch. Just don't double up on the stitch.
Old 04-05-15, 08:09 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Serger is good, and zigzag can work. FWIW: Much of the stitching on shorts/bibs joining panels is done with flat-lock machines which are pretty rare and pretty expensive. I know of only commercial versions and no consumer grade models.
Old 04-05-15, 08:24 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
And, I'd really be searching that saddle, to see if you have a snaggger hidden in there.
Old 04-05-15, 12:02 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
yes, i've done it successfully. thanks for reminding me.

i had a pair of Performance shorts and the liner had become unstitched on one side of the crotch. it was causing a serious abrasion. i took out my $1.00 (Dollar Tree) sewing kit and stitched it back together. haven't had a problem with it since. i ride everyday and it's been long enough ago for me to forget it. maybe a 1000 miles worth of cycling.