Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How many of you switch tires when winter hits??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 03:24 PM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I've been riding on Conti GP 4000s II for several months now and love them but was thinking I'd switch to a really durable tire for the winter so I'll be less likely to change a flat when it's freezing cold. I've only had one flat on them but there are tires out there that are more durable (I think?). I'm only planning on riding down to about freezing and only if it's not wet/snowing, I don't want to have to worry about ice. I picked up a pair of Gatorskins for when it's consistently cold out, not just at night, but still on the fence about them. I've looked at Conti 4 Seasons and they seem like a good tire but are even more than the 4000s. I've seen that some people think Gatorskins don't handle good in the wet which is a little concerning. Other than that, they seem fairly similar.

My question is, of those of you that ride in the winter, in regions where you actually have a winter (haha) do you still ride the same tires or do you switch? And what tires do you ride when it's nicer out and which ones do you switch to once the temps drop?

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 11-05-15, 03:28 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I use cx tires in the winter.
Old 11-05-15, 03:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I switch. To what depends on the bike, the riding I am doing and where I am living. When I lived in Boston and Ann Arbor and did not own a car, cyclocross tires went on for the winter. I still have them and now Mokia snow tires for those rare Portland ice/snow days, mounted on wheels I might not use all winter. My other bikes go up a size in tire and to either Panaracer Paselas or grippier quality tires.

Ben
Old 11-05-15, 03:36 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I switch because I'll be on a trainer.
Old 11-05-15, 03:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I live in the Land Of No Weather, so it's the same tires year round, on bikes, cars, everything. Seasons seem like... a hassle.
Old 11-05-15, 04:54 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
What's Winter?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-05-15, 04:56 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Winter
Old 11-05-15, 05:05 PM
Paralyticileus

Bikes: 2014 Supersix Evo, Cervelo P2Sl, Vitus 979

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year commuted all winter on Kenda Kaliente tires. No issues. No flats. No drama. I live in Chicago. The roads are kept in pretty good condition so I tend to bike all year even while it's snowing outside.

This year, I probably won't change my tires unless I get a really good deal on a pair and even then I'm not sure it would make much of a difference. Keep your upper body loose and only make deliberate movements. I think technique is more important than the tire.
Old 11-05-15, 07:45 PM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure how wide of cx tires I could fit with my frame/brakes but I'll look into it.

My main concern is minimizing the chances of a flat while doing cold weather rides. I'd like to still have a good handling and supple tire but you always have to sacrifice some features in order to get other features.
Old 11-05-15, 08:18 PM
Montag311

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
In normal weather I ride Continental GP 4000 II's also. I love those tires. In winter I'll ride in temps down to the teens and I do not want to have to stop to fix a flat so I do change to Panaracer Race D Evo 2's. I keep them mounted on a separate set of wheels so it's easy to switch over.
Old 11-05-15, 08:33 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not only do I switch tires, I do a whole bike switch.

The Look and the Conti 25s come inside and the Niner with tubeless 28s and fenders goes out.
Old 11-05-15, 10:29 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Seattle winters are mild but it seems like many of the pathways and trails sprout glass that time of year. I switched my rear Vredestein Gran Fondo 25 (a durable tire in its own right) for a Gatorskin 25 to ward off rear punctures. A Gran Fondo rides on in the front. My GP4000s aren't part of the winter picture because my road bike is on a hook and won't be out till spring.
Old 11-06-15, 08:47 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I've switched tires before, but these days I figure there's nothing wrong with having good grip and ride quality in the winter as well as the summer. So I keep riding my GP4000S IIs and let em' wear down. I haven't noticed any greater tendency to get flats in winter. If the weather is truly bad, I'm spending a lot of time on my cross bike anyway. Riding crappy tires in the winter doesn't seem worth it to me anymore. I won't install new ones during the winter, if I can help it, otherwise I don't worry about it.
Old 11-06-15, 08:49 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I ride the same bike year-round, same tires. If it's super cold, or roads are bad, I ride my mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-06-15, 08:59 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I don't have a winter as you know it, but I do switch tires when I happen to have some. There's enough difference that it makes sense to match the tire to general conditions. In fact if I had much snow and ice I'd switch entire wheel-sets, just for convenience.
Old 11-06-15, 09:00 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben I.
Not sure how wide of cx tires I could fit with my frame/brakes but I'll look into it.

My main concern is minimizing the chances of a flat while doing cold weather rides. I'd like to still have a good handling and supple tire but you always have to sacrifice some features in order to get other features.
Sounds like you should either switch to tubeless with sealant or add sealant to your tubes. There is no reason that wanting to avoid flats should force you to switch tires seasonally. Another approach is to carry Vittoria Pit Stop to instantly reinflate a flat tire without having to change the tube. Done and done.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 11-06-15, 09:34 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Sounds like you should either switch to tubeless with sealant or add sealant to your tubes. There is no reason that wanting to avoid flats should force you to switch tires seasonally. Another approach is to carry Vittoria Pit Stop to instantly reinflate a flat tire without having to change the tube. Done and done.
If I lived in an area that salts/sands roads, I would use a tire liner. Sometimes sealant can be a little slow in cold temps.
Old 11-06-15, 11:01 AM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I switch out tires *after* winter for me. New fresh tires for the start of racing season.
Old 11-06-15, 11:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have whole different Bikes ..
Old 11-06-15, 11:57 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I live in the Land Of No Weather, so it's the same tires year round, on bikes, cars, everything. Seasons seem like... a hassle.
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
What's Winter?
Old 11-06-15, 12:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We have winter rain and glass. I switched from Conti 4000s II to Rubino Pro-Tech III. The latter are now out of production, but on sale many places online. They handle well, roll OK, are very cut-resistant and stick well in the wet. IME most very long wearing tires like Marathon and Gatorskin don't stick in the wet. I've also used Conti 4 Seasons, which were OK.
Old 11-06-15, 01:40 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I don't just switch tires, I switch my rear wheel too..... because it holds my trainer tire, and I don't want to ride tubeless tires on the trainer.

I do switch back if can get a ride in outside.
Old 11-06-15, 01:42 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another No Winter guy... so no change either.
Old 11-06-15, 02:07 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben I.
So I've been riding on Conti GP 4000s II for several months now and love them but was thinking I'd switch to a really durable tire for the winter so I'll be less likely to change a flat when it's freezing cold. I've only had one flat on them but there are tires out there that are more durable (I think?). I'm only planning on riding down to about freezing and only if it's not wet/snowing, I don't want to have to worry about ice. I picked up a pair of Gatorskins for when it's consistently cold out, not just at night, but still on the fence about them. I've looked at Conti 4 Seasons and they seem like a good tire but are even more than the 4000s. I've seen that some people think Gatorskins don't handle good in the wet which is a little concerning. Other than that, they seem fairly similar.

My question is, of those of you that ride in the winter, in regions where you actually have a winter (haha) do you still ride the same tires or do you switch? And what tires do you ride when it's nicer out and which ones do you switch to once the temps drop?

Thanks for the info guys!
I switch from my 23mm Vittoria Rubino Pro to my 3.8" Surly Nates

As somebody in the snowbelt that LOVES riding through the winter, I put the road bikes away for the winter and get out the MTBs: Marin Nail Trail with studded tires and Surly Pugsley.

I've had my Kona Dew Drop out on snow and ice with 28mm Panaracer T-Servs; not my favorite. This is one of the "good" rides (didn't hit the ground):

and here is a not so good ride, I hit the ground

Attached Images
Old 11-06-15, 02:15 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyBoyAz
Another No Winter guy... so no change either.
"No winter"??? And miss out on all the fun??

(-15F ride to work in January, 2015)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.