Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Press Fit Bottom Bracket confusion

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 09:49 AM
TP_Mantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,
I am building a bike and after doing a lot of reading, i think i am more confused on bottom brackets.

Crankset:
Force CX1 PF30
Frame:
68mm wide
Bottom Bracket:
Are all PF30s compatible?
My confusion comes in when looking at the BB - some fit snugly to to frame like Chris King and others like race face stick out of the shell a bit.
Any way to make sure i get the right bb?

Since i have your attention what are your preference on BBs? any advantages to Ceramic bearings other than lighter wallet. This is for a Road / Gravel / Cross bike, so it will get dirty.
Extra bonus for Orange BBs

thanks!
Old 01-13-16, 10:19 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Is your frame a press fit BB or threaded, it is not clear in your post. You said you have pf30 crank and your frames BB determines your course of action. Report back and we can go from there, might ask to post this to mechanics forum we deal there better than here.
Old 01-13-16, 10:20 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Just go with a standard PF30 BB such as offered by SRAM and Loctite it in place. Stainless bearings if possible. You will save bundles of money and are likely to have no issues. Ceramic is for the gullible. They offer no advantages. Since the major issues with press fit BBs is the creaking, not bearing failure, spend your time on money on getting the installation with Loctite 609 correct. Ceramic bearings are the least of your needs.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-13-16, 10:24 AM
TP_Mantis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about that - it is a Press Fit frame - not threaded
Old 01-13-16, 10:29 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Just go with a standard PF30 BB such as offered by SRAM and Loctite it in place. Stainless bearings if possible. You will save bundles of money and are likely to have no issues. Ceramic is for the gullible. They offer no advantages. Since the major issues with press fit BBs is the creaking, not bearing failure, spend your time on money on getting the installation with Loctite 609 correct. Ceramic bearings are the least of your needs.
Echo this. The Raceface BB's are for MTBs and some are only compatible with Raceface cranks.
Old 01-13-16, 11:42 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
You have to go with a PF-30 standard BB if the frame is a PF-30 frame. There are threaded options for PF30 though that are kind of the bees knees, but more hassle or expense than they may be worth for you.

You don't need to loctite in a PF30 bb. Just drench the cups in a waterproof grease. Press and forget. Helluva lot easier to remove it when you need to and replace as needed because honestly they aren't that expensive anyway.

Old 01-13-16, 11:44 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
FWIW - I bore out every PF30 that comes into the shop. So many of them are made below min spec size and end up squeezing the bearings assemblies and causing a lot of drag. When I bore them correctly with the right tools to spec size they end up being pretty dead on and work great.

Ceramic in a BB isn't needed - to echo above.

Old 01-13-16, 11:49 AM
TP_Mantis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks All!
Appreciate the help
Old 01-13-16, 12:39 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I will throw a different angle if it was myself I would get a shimano crank like a 105 and the go with a Praxis conversion. More expensive but very good eliminates the issues of press fits I think.
Old 01-13-16, 12:55 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Echo this. The Raceface BB's are for MTBs and some are only compatible with Raceface cranks.
The RaceFace X-type adapters work great on road frames if you want to run a Shimano crank.
Old 01-13-16, 01:27 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
The RaceFace X-type adapters work great on road frames if you want to run a Shimano crank.
Sure, but the OP didn't want an adapter BB, just a PF30 one. AFAIK Raceface doesn't make a "straight" road PF30 BB.
Old 01-13-16, 02:58 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Sure, but the OP didn't want an adapter BB, just a PF30 one. AFAIK Raceface doesn't make a "straight" road PF30 BB.
Hmmm. My Canadian isn't as strong as it could be, so I may be deciphering the RaceFace site wrong, but it appears the PF30 Cinch is their listing.

Mainly just wanted to let others know that for sure the RF X-Type Shimano adapters are sweet and I have lots of use on mine.

Carry on!

:-)
Old 01-13-16, 03:28 PM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
Hmmm. My Canadian isn't as strong as it could be, so I may be deciphering the RaceFace site wrong, but it appears the PF30 Cinch is their listing.
I'm pretty sure the "Cinch" BBs only work with their "Cinch" cranksets. Might be wrong. Whatever, they're certainly not what the OP wants.