Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thread compounds

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Thread compounds

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 01:52 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Thread compounds

Okay so maybe this isn't the most C&V topic, but I have wondered half-heartedly for years what is on the disc brake hardware and sometimes other new bolts on bike components. It's usually a blue or white coating that acts as a sort of threadlocker, really it just adds friction and stiffness (sometimes so much you are concerned you are cross threading it). Well I learned this week that this is probably the nylock patch or some variation of it. These coatings are applied by the manufacturer as far as I can tell.

I hate Loctite. it runs, it's crusty and has to be reapplied and it doesn't allow me to adjust. What I really want is the nylock patch type stuff.

I admit the search was initiated by my frustration with Easton R4SL hubs for which you adjust the bearing preload once they are on the bike and they continually come loose so that they have to be tightened after ever ride. Vibra-tite VC-3 seems like the answer. Vibra-tite VC-3 which appears to be the closest thing to a consumer grade readily available alternative to the nylock patch and blue Loctite. I ordered a bottle at great expense and will use it on some modern wheels and my suspension bolts, maybe on rack and fender bolts too moving forward though I don't usually have a problem with those going loose.

The C&V applications might include bottom brackets with worn threads and Italian fixed cups. Anyone ever tried this stuff? Other applications you can think of?

It's also recommended for tool (like plier bolts, will be good for my old Hozan chain pliers).

Other applications:

-Brake caliper center post bolts.
-Barrel adjusters.
-worn steer tube threads

I'll report back on my experiences if there is any interest shown here.
Old 05-17-16, 02:51 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
I'm definitely interested. The factory stuff that comes with cartridge bottom brackets and rotor bolts works so nicely that I'd love to find an equivalent. Please report back.
Brent
Old 05-17-16, 02:55 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
I believe it's just a formulation of silicone rubber. The cured rubber in the screw thread squishes into the mating threads, binding them up so they don't back out, without the PITA that adhesive-type threadlocks are. They use the silicone rubber threadlock on all sorts of stuff, not just bikes, since it's cheap, non-messy, and virtually infinitely reusable (doesn't need re-applied, ever).

That said, I don't know if the job requires any particular formulation of silicone, or if any type would do.
Old 05-17-16, 02:56 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Interest. Have wondered the same thing.

The DA FD (7400) on the Pinarello. had a plastic piece to offer resistance to the limit screws. It fell off, broken. I found out when I was descending a hill and the front moved from large to small ring. I could not get it back. Finally I stopped my ride to investigate and found what was wrong. I was able to adjust the screw but I know it will move again.
Old 05-17-16, 03:00 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Never saw the need for thread lock compounds on any of my bicycles. Actually, I take the opposite approach. I grease my threads with green waterproof grease and Vaseline. Torque bolts properly & call it a day. Now - if you want to discuss motorcycles, race cars, & tractors then, there's definitely a place for thread lock compound on those.
Old 05-17-16, 03:39 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
The only thread lock I use is on the drive side cup of Italian bottom brackets. On most other threads I use anti-seize.
Old 05-17-16, 04:05 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
<..snip...>

I hate Loctite. it runs, it's crusty and has to be reapplied and it doesn't allow me to adjust. What I really want is the nylock patch type stuff.

how about threadlock tape?

LOCTITE® 249? Anaerobic Blue Threadlocker Tape - Henkel

Steve in Peoria
Old 05-17-16, 04:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
The nuts that attach caliper brakes to frames are usually the nylock kind, or they used to be. I find this to be helpful.

I happen to like blue Loctite. Yes, it runs, but other than that, it does a good job. I rarely need it, though.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-17-16, 04:26 PM
cyclotoine

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
how about threadlock tape?

LOCTITE® 249? Anaerobic Blue Threadlocker Tape - Henkel

Steve in Peoria
I saw that and briefly got excited, but then I realized it is still an anaerobic threadlocker and my understanding is that when you thread the bolt in the compound is activated and it behaves like the other blue Loctite. As such it is not good for adjustable bolts like limit screws and bearing load adjusters that I may want to tweak and retain the thread retention properties of the nylock patch.

I will report back.

noglider, I was thinking of recessed calipers.

I agree there is very little application for this on vintage bicycles but I don't post in the other forums and I know some of you guys ride modern bike too like me and thread locking compounds have applications on new stuff, especially suspension pivot bolts and it would seem, some modern wheels.
Old 05-17-16, 04:38 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Has anyone tried teflon tape?
Old 05-17-16, 04:55 PM
cyclotoine

Originally Posted by Kactus
Has anyone tried teflon tape?
I tried it for the wheels I mention in the OP. It did not work, the preload nut still backs off.
Old 05-17-16, 04:59 PM
J T CUNNINGHAM

Bikes: '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
" I grease my threads with green waterproof grease and Vaseline. Torque bolts properly & call it a day."
ramzilla.

Torque Values only apply to clean, dry threads; any form of anti-friction device or compound will require a reduction of those stated values;

Regards,
J T
Old 05-17-16, 05:05 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Doesn't that one guy that gets everyone's knickers in a twist recommend bee's wax?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-17-16, 05:22 PM
cyclotoine

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Doesn't that one guy that gets everyone's knickers in a twist recommend bee's wax?
Ha, I didn't even think of that. I even have some kicking around. I already ordered the VC-3 though which I think will stand up better than bees wax to removal and re-install.
Old 05-17-16, 07:22 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
I saw that and briefly got excited, but then I realized it is still an anaerobic threadlocker and my understanding is that when you thread the bolt in the compound is activated and it behaves like the other blue Loctite. As such it is not good for adjustable bolts like limit screws and bearing load adjusters that I may want to tweak and retain the thread retention properties of the nylock patch.

.<..snip..> .
there may be an issue with terminology here.

"nylock" has a specific meaning, and refers to nuts with nylon inserts that resist turning:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyloc_nut

there are also screws and bolts that have patches of threadlock material....
https://www.ndindustries.com/product...king/nd-patch/
McMaster Carr sells a variety of screws and bolts with threadlock patches, but I can never figure out how to get the link right.
These seem to be nylon, so might be the sort of thing you are after.

Steve in Peoria
Old 05-17-16, 07:28 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
If the runny liquid Loctite isn't desirable, they also make a waxy, crayon type applicator of the various strength thread compounds. Just dab the threaded portion into the crayon stick, or rub the stick around the threads. We use it a good bit in construction, at times. No messy runny drips to deal with.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-17-16, 08:43 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts

Loctite 248 QuickStix 442-37684 9g Thread Treatment Stick: Threadlocking Adhesives: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 05-17-16, 09:54 PM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I use Loctite blue and use it only for racks, which otherwise always get loose on me. You do need to shake the blue otherwise it is (more) runny.
Old 05-18-16, 09:37 AM
cyclotoine

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
there may be an issue with terminology here.

"nylock" has a specific meaning, and refers to nuts with nylon inserts that resist turning:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyloc_nut

there are also screws and bolts that have patches of threadlock material....
https://www.ndindustries.com/product...king/nd-patch/
McMaster Carr sells a variety of screws and bolts with threadlock patches, but I can never figure out how to get the link right.
These seem to be nylon, so might be the sort of thing you are after.

Steve in Peoria
There might be... Nylock Blue Nylon Torq-Patch Tuflok

Nylok® Blue Nylon Torq-Patch® Tuflok® - Nylok

I don't want to buy hardware with the Blue Nylon Torq-Patch on it. I want to be able to apply it to whatever I want.
Old 05-18-16, 09:40 AM
cyclotoine

Again, like the tape, my understanding this is a use once, set it and leave it deal like all anaerobic thread lockers. That is what I get from the website.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
If the runny liquid Loctite isn't desirable, they also make a waxy, crayon type applicator of the various strength thread compounds. Just dab the threaded portion into the crayon stick, or rub the stick around the threads. We use it a good bit in construction, at times. No messy runny drips to deal with.

Bill
Like the one suggested above. At first this looked promising like the tape, but again is this the type of thing that stays on? Can I adjust the bolt later or take it out and put it back in and retain the compound on bolt? My impression is no, that this behave like the liquid. It hardens and then breaks away when the bolt is removed. Again that is not what I am looking for.
Old 05-18-16, 05:51 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

No, from what you are telling us, it isn't what you want. The locking compounds are all one time use items, I guess I misread your OP, apologies to you. I cannot think of any product that matches your requirements. You might check the Loctite website and see if they have anything that matches your needs, if you didn't already do so.

Bill

Old 05-19-16, 05:38 AM
cradom

Bikes: Schwinn Sport Tourer, Dawes Lightning Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even the original isn't what you want: 3M? Fastener Adhesives 2353/2353Y - Nylok
Pretty much single use only for the chemicals.
If you don't want to use Loctite maybe a dab of RTV would do it? Or maybe 3M has something else?
Old 05-19-16, 05:45 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I just make my own. Bees wax, shellac, peanut butter and some diatomaceous earth. With just a dash of Japan drier added to taste.
Old 05-19-16, 05:49 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Again, like the tape, my understanding this is a use once, set it and leave it deal like all anaerobic thread lockers. That is what I get from the website.

Like the one suggested above. At first this looked promising like the tape, but again is this the type of thing that stays on? Can I adjust the bolt later or take it out and put it back in and retain the compound on bolt? My impression is no, that this behave like the liquid. It hardens and then breaks away when the bolt is removed. Again that is not what I am looking for.
Cyclotoine, are you looking for something you can put on the fastener that can be reused after you had to take the fastener off, or just remove the nut? Not trying to be dense, or difficult, just want to understand what you need to happen. Other than Nyloc nuts, I don't know of anything reusable for the purpose you have.

I have seen the various size screws and bolts with the blue thread locker already on them, usually the paste, or waxy type, but never something you can continue to use with repeated disassembly. Some of the pre-coated fasteners will retain some of the coating, and can be used again, but it isn't as strong as fresh locking compound would be.

I hope that someone comes up with a product that meets your needs, I am curious about this now. it would be handy to know about it, and perhaps put it to use.

Bill