Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ebay refund question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

ebay refund question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-23, 08:05 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Well except paypal has never burned me, Whitman's ebay has. Two sales I was never paid for, no recourse but to eat what I lost. And Curt, I don't know how long you've been an ebay user, but my account dates back to the 1990's I've seen what that evil witch has done.
If you’ve been burnt by eBay Buyer Protection, you’ve been burnt by a system that started on PayPal.

By the way, the name starts with a K.

-Kurt

Old 08-07-23, 08:09 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
By the way, the name starts with a K.
-Kurt
Fixed apparently as you responded, wanna know how many times I've been called Karl instead of Carl?
Whitman has led the charge to create the monster ebay is now, and ebay divested paypal hat over 10 years ago?
Old 08-07-23, 09:25 AM
Bobjackson

Bikes: Eddy Merckx EX & Bob Jackson R:753 tubing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 16 Posts
FWIW: in general and especially ebay, don't believe the "brochure" and the salesman...
Likes For Bobjackson:
Old 08-07-23, 09:28 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Here's an idea. Read through the eBay terms and conditions, take into account people's experiences with eBay, and if you don't like it, don't use it.
Old 08-07-23, 09:35 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Exactly. I've had no problem with eBay, either as a buyer or a seller. I've managed to get items that would be all but impossible to get in most circumstances.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-07-23, 09:51 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Kind of related to how the worlds gone to hell, I've got about $450 "out on the street" right now with 3 different internet transactions. 2 are with "established" vendors who are from prior experience a little "loose" and a peer to peer transaction that us nearing 24 hours of radio silence after sending funds. Covering the extra paypal fee's myself instead of going with friends and family looks to be a good choice
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 08-07-23, 10:26 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Ebay is a garage sale with anonymity. What I'm hearing is a lot of naive expectations. "Dishonorable people found selling on eBay" SHOCKING. STICKY RED HEADLINE ON THE NEWSWIRE. We all know it entails risk. The seller knows everything and the buyer knows nothing. Usually it works out fine, sometimes it doesn't. I look at the risk/ reward question every time. And if it turns out bad, I knew that was possible and I put the blame on myself for my decision.
Old 08-07-23, 10:44 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
I quit selling on ebay a looong time ago when they kept trying to harness a workforce without having to pay a workforce, and making sure they offloaded all the liabilities onto the sellers. Oh, all while raising costs left and right. They were the greatest yard sale on the internet but then they got in their heads to become Amazon and they ended up failing at both.

I remember when they tried to give me regular performance reviews and thought that this carrot and stick approach would lead to a more "professional" unpaid workforce. I f*ing hate performance reviews on my day job, they are a dog and pony show. I also remember the Christmas they wanted to force a loooooong no questions asked return policy, because that's what Amazon did.
Old 08-07-23, 10:46 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Has anyone here used the ebay alternative Mercari? It truly is a wild west where you have very little buyer protection, and scams run rife. It's important for buyer protection to be highly prioritized on ebay so that people feel comfortable to purchase items. I've never had an issue over the past 10 years buying parts on ebay. I think using ebay is a combination of personal responsibility to eat costs where you didn't do your due diligence regarding the item's condition/compatibility, and utilizing the buyer protection inherent in ebay's system for those moments when the seller did lie about an objects condition or is unwilling to play ball and compromise if the item does not meet stated expectations.

That being said, I pretty much never trust a seller to know a bicycle part's measurement standards/compatibility, and only go by the markings available on the packaging or the item itself. If I'm ever unsure, my questions get directed to this forum. Returning NOS is difficult...I think it's fair that the seller would not refund 100% of the cost, but trying to keep 50% is really scummy (assuming you did not mar the part or packaging). Unfortunate that you had to deal with such a dishonest person on ebay, but them's the brakes. Hopefully you playing hardball with the refund will incentivize them to change for the better.
Old 08-07-23, 10:54 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I recently asked for a return on an item I purchased on eBay. I did not end up needing the items. The seller sells on Amazon and offers refunds but does not offer refunds on eBay. I figured, what the heck, maybe I'll get my money back and be able to return the items. Weirdly, eBay refunded my money, and despite asking twice for a return address so I could mail the item back, the seller never answered.

So does anyone want some universal cv axle boots? yours for the price of shipping. haha

Last edited by RB1-luvr; 08-08-23 at 11:55 AM.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 08-07-23, 02:48 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Here's an idea. Read through the eBay terms and conditions, take into account people's experiences with eBay, and if you don't like it, don't use it.
I don't have to like it to use it, Is this personal for you?
I no longer sell on ebay, but I do buy. I also use ebay in a particular fashion.
Old 08-07-23, 03:12 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
I don't have to like it to use it, Is this personal for you?
I no longer sell on ebay, but I do buy. I also use ebay in a particular fashion.
I wasn't clear - agreed that there's a risk to selling on eBay. My comment on not liking it related to their terms and conditions, which I think is a valid point. I've never had an issue selling or buying on it, don't work for eBay, etc., so there's nothing personal at all about it. The worst experience I had with eBay was I won a no-reserve auction on a frame I wanted, and the buyer decided not to sell it.

Every once in awhile a someone gets burned on eBay and comes here to blow off some steam and complain about it. Sellers in most any market get burned once in awhile, it's not just eBay.