Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Non club and casual riders, speak up

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Non club and casual riders, speak up

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 11:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It’s also worth noting that some of the modern noise cancelling ear buds have a “transparency” mode that actually enhances ambient noises and voices, so that you can hear them clearly over the music. I don’t ride in them, but I use them on my indoor trainer and I can easily hear things like the doorbell while playing Metallica!
Since you enjoy Bluegrass , You might enjoy this little German band. Hang in there - it gets really good IMO

Old 01-31-24, 05:38 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
So I wonder why there are so few in this age group?
Most of the 20-34’s locally are MTB riders. Not many of us roadies, most of these few are bike path riders dodging strollers and pedestrians.

Night riding? Love it. Here in northern Michigan I ride the winters on an old MTB with a decent light set. The locals have become familiar with my route and ride time. They see me quite well.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 01-31-24, 08:24 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Most of the 20-34’s locally are MTB riders. Not many of us roadies, most of these few are bike path riders dodging strollers and pedestrians.

Night riding? Love it. Here in northern Michigan I ride the winters on an old MTB with a decent light set. The locals have become familiar with my route and ride time. They see me quite well.
I ride a lot at night and during the day and I have become known to the locals as 'That old guy on the bike-he rides everyday and in any weather. Must be nuts.'
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 02-10-24, 07:10 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I enjoy weekly club rides for the social value. I ride with a moderate speed group (15ish MPH), others are just too competitive. It only amounts to 14-20 % of the riding I enjoy. Most is practical riding to work on errands or a trip to lunch either by myself or with 1 or 2 friends. People who limit their cycling to club rides are really limiting the pleasure it can provide.

Marc
Old 02-14-24, 08:54 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
How about speaking up...
Solo. I'm slower than the "A" Group and faster than the "B" Group. So even on group rides I quickly end up by myself. So I just ditched the group and ride when and where I want to.
Old 02-18-24, 03:17 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Im 85 and usually ride 20 to 35 miles every other day solo, weather permitting. However I do ride 2 or three bike club rides, and rides put on by the local trails group.

This BTW is my 40th year membership with the local bike club.

Last edited by rydabent; 03-09-24 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-12-24, 09:05 AM
rydabent
Banned

The great thing about being a casual rider is that you dont have to CONFORM to ANY of the rules "real cyclist" claim you have to. Simply ride any bike or trike the way you want to, wearing anything you want to, at any speed you want, at any cadence you want. Simply enjoy riding.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-12-24, 09:20 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The great thing about being a casual rider is that you dont have to CONFORM to ANY of the rules "real cyclist" claim you have to. Simply ride any bike or trike the way you want to, wearing anything you want to, at any speed you want, at any cadence you want. Simply enjoy riding.
Of course you are totally free to make whatever choices of clothing or gear you like, however poor they may or may not be.
Old 03-12-24, 09:31 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
"Real cyclists" enjoy riding the way they ride, just as you enjoy riding the way you ride. Don't keep misinterpreting their enthusiasm about their own way of riding as rules intended for others. No sensible person does.

As Frank Zappa once remarked from a stage, in response to a guy in the audience yelling about the "pigs in uniforms" standing around in the theater --- "Don't kid yourself: everyone in this room is in a uniform."
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-12-24, 10:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Seems like your idea of being a non-conformist is conformist in itself.
Old 03-12-24, 01:29 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Seems like your idea of being a non-conformist is conformist in itself.
And if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice! [nar-nar-narp]

(God I love Rush,)
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 03-12-24, 09:00 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
You just can't resist, can you?
Likes For big john:
Old 03-12-24, 09:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I could swear there is a Recumbent Forum, where your views would probably be very much appreciated by like minded people.

Old 03-13-24, 08:27 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

As Frank Zappa once remarked from a stage, in response to a guy in the audience yelling about the "pigs in uniforms" standing around in the theater --- "Don't kid yourself: everyone in this room is in a uniform."
And then he said "You'll hurt your throat, stop it."
Likes For big john:
Old 03-13-24, 03:48 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I could swear there is a Recumbent Forum, where your views would probably be very much appreciated by like minded people.
Ha ha, funny you should mention that. Have you noticed that there is a Training and Nutrition Forum? Oh wait, some like minded posters post similar if not identical Training and Nutrition subject matter on this list too.
Old 03-13-24, 07:59 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I tried riding with NYCC on group rides for my ability at the time over 10 years ago and just hated all the rules and all the stops, and even the routes. They were more interested in getting to the diner than the ride itself. It was early in the season and still cold outside so I just wanted to keep riding, or just a quick break while they wanted to sit for pancakes. And not just 1 or 2 people, the entire group of 10-15. We also would meet and then stand around in the cold morning waiting to get started. The pace was too slow. The pace was too fast.

A few months later I ran into a woman that was also new to the group that I usually hung with on the rides and I asked if she kept going, because I just stopped. She ripped it to shreds, with the same complaints that I had, and said I was the only reason she kept going as long as she did because I rode at her pace.

The only group rides I do anymore are the big organized events, where you always find people that are riding at your pace. I otherwise ride alone, at my own pace, on my own spur of the moment routes, at my own time. If I happen to find someone en route that is doing the same we may hang for a while for the company but when it's time to split, I split. Oh, and I'll do rides with my adult kids sometimes. I've built up bikes for them that are better than my own in ways.
Old 03-16-24, 09:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Of course you are totally free to make whatever choices of clothing or gear you like, however poor they may or may not be.
Define "poor".
Old 03-16-24, 09:23 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by big john
You just can't resist, can you?
Yes I resist being told what to do, in any arena I take part in.
Old 03-16-24, 09:39 AM
PeteHski

Define "poor".
Look it up in a dictionary.
Old 03-16-24, 09:57 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Look it up in a dictionary.
Hysterical!

Old 03-17-24, 09:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Define "poor".
"Poor" choice as used in this context means a choice not favored, approved or considered desirable by posters (often lacking in empathy for those not in their social circle) who believe they know what are the best or preferable choices for other people regardless of circumstances.
Old 03-17-24, 05:12 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
"Poor" choice as used in this context means a choice not favored, approved or considered desirable by posters (often lacking in empathy for those not in their social circle) who believe they know what are the best or preferable choices for other people regardless of circumstances.
In other words it’s completely arbitrary, which is why I actually said however poor those choices may or may not have been.

My point was that we are all free to do whatever we like, but that doesn’t say anything about the quality of those choices. They could be good, bad or indifferent choices depending on the individual and their circumstances.
Old 03-18-24, 09:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

In other words it’s completely arbitrary, which is why I actually said however poor those choices may or may not have been.

My point was that we are all free to do whatever we like, but that doesn’t say anything about the quality of those choices. They could be good, bad or indifferent choices depending on the individual and their circumstances.
Agree with all of that , and would add that there is not much to be gained by gratuitously evaluating or implying the quality or value of the bicycling choices made by someone else are not up to the standards held by self-appointed experts.
The evaluation of choice quality can be best made by the individuals involved, not some random dude(s) on the Internet.
Old 03-18-24, 10:01 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The evaluation of choice quality can be best made by the individuals involved, not some random dude(s) on the Internet.
Well that depends entirely on the knowledge and experience of the individuals involved. That’s why newbies often ask for advice from random dudes on the internet. The replies tend to reflect the full spectrum of good, bad and indifferent.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-18-24, 11:38 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Well that depends entirely on the knowledge and experience of the individuals involved. That’s why newbies often ask for advice from random dudes on the internet. The replies tend to reflect the full spectrum of good, bad and indifferent.
Agree that it can be helpful when suggested choices and solutions are provided to people who ask for advice; not so much if the advice and opinions about others' choices is gratuitously furnished and come across as smug and snarky putdowns of others' choices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.