Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Car Bike Rack Padding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Car Bike Rack Padding

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-15, 09:37 AM
macbride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car Bike Rack Padding

I have a new carbon frame bike and we commonly put 4 bikes on our Saris rack. Saris makes "Saris Protect-O Pads" which are foam cubes but look cumbersome to use.
How do you protect your bike frame when putting multiple bikes on a rack?
Thanks!
Old 07-14-15, 09:46 AM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent question! First, where the bike is likely to encounter the rack itself, I have masking-taped on some folded-up paper towels. Primitive to say the least, but effective nonetheless. Otherwise, I make sure the bikes are very well secured and don't have room to move around and hit into one another. Old popped tubes work really well as ties to hold everything in place.

Lastly, if there were particular problem areas, I would tie/secure more old tube sections where impact/chafing would seem of concern. I haven't yet done this, but I imagine it would work very well.

Obviously, this expects a few things: Your roads are as bad as mine, you're as bad at changing tubes as I am, and you're as much of a hoarder as I am, resulting in you having a lot of old tube lying around with nothing to do.
Old 07-14-15, 09:47 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I don't. I bungee the front wheels so they don't move around and bungee the frames so they don't swing out with the wind.
Old 07-14-15, 09:55 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
On old style round tubes, I've used water pipe insulation foam available a most hardware stores in different sizes. You can put it where the bikes might touch. I've had some of the foam squares, but seem to lose them. The pipe insulation is cheap.

I also run a bungee cord from the front rim to somewhere on the frame or rear hub to keep the front wheel from swinging around.
Old 07-14-15, 10:01 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by macbride
I have a new carbon frame bike and we commonly put 4 bikes on our Saris rack. Saris makes "Saris Protect-O Pads" which are foam cubes but look cumbersome to use.
How do you protect your bike frame when putting multiple bikes on a rack?
Thanks!
That's why I use a roof rack. Bike don't touch each other, rack only contacts bike at forks and a strap over the wheel.

NOTHING touches the frame.

Bikes piled on a trunk rack are always gonna get dorked up.

The newer hitch mount racks with individual bike holders are pretty nice too. That would be the only rear mounted rack I would consider.

Also, don't let tires hang in front of the exhaust pipe.

Last edited by andr0id; 07-14-15 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-14-15, 11:57 AM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^^^

Carrying bikes on any strap rack (no mater how much protecting you do) will eventually result in something very bad happening.

Top of car or a rear of car tray (like the Yakima HoldUp), or some combination to get four bikes, is the only way to go.
Old 07-14-15, 05:50 PM
Diablito

Bikes: Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saris sells these cube looking foam pads that sell for $13 that either attach the the rack or you can attach the to the frames. they are big enough to keep the frames at safe distances.
Old 07-14-15, 06:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Decent racks these days all have some sort of anti-sway system built into the arms or frame cradles. So bikes stay separated and don't swing. Then it's usually a question of making sure the pedals aren't going to turn and get to where they can hit anything. A bungee takes care of that. I try to never tie or trap the wheels so they can't spin, because I've seen too many examples of tires burnt from exhaust heat. The spinning prevents that more effectively than anything else.

Eons ago when we'd just pile bikes onto racks with simple arms and no cradles I used to go the the carpet company and ask for the samples of discontinued carpets. They'd give me a few for free, and I'd punch holes and load them onto the racks between the bikes, but that era is long past.

OTOH- I'm very blase about my bikes which I routinely toss into a car with wheels off and placed on top. IMO bikes for riding and enjoying, not obsessing about. I've tossed my best bikes into bus bellies and pick up beds, onto trains, ferries, and airplanes (before box rules) --- I was once paged at JFK airport to come and untangle 12 bikes I'd loaded into an Electra, which had settled into a tangled mess during the flight. Also tied them to the pontoons of a seaplane, and the rails of sailboats.

If you start worrying about your bike, it'll limit your options. While some obsess about every ding an nick, I consider them souvenirs of the good times we've had together.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-14-15, 06:46 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I purchased a bike rack I limited my selection to those that don't come in contact with the frame. The Kuat Sherpa and the oneupusa are both very nice racks that contact the tires, not the frame. They aren't cheap, but both are highly rated. I chose the Kuat.
Old 07-14-15, 07:17 PM
doug59

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As mentioned..... HoldUp 2" | Yakima

i just purchased one of these. It's awesome. Takes a minute to load the bikes and neither touches the other.

Well worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by doug59; 07-15-15 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 06:34 AM
Helenajohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so here is my first post/comment/question...

Recently we purchased a Kuat NV 2.0 for transport of our carbon road bikes, it attaches by a hitch to our truck. We did not have any issues transporting them locally but on a recent trip 9 hour round trip, I noticed pitting and huge dings on the paint of the bikes, scratches and lots of road grime, sand and grease in my cassette, chain rings etc. My question is how can I prevent this from happening again. Is a bike bag a solution or could the flapping of the bag also rub off the paint? Please advise.
Old 03-28-17, 07:44 AM
Capo72

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc SRAM eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for water pipe insulation. That, a pair of scissors, and a roll of electrical tape.

and I'm replying to a zombie thread! Kudos at least, for using the search!
Old 03-28-17, 08:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
been known to use pipe insulation & cut pool noodles. time for a resurgence of bike rack threads. it is spring after all!

Old 03-28-17, 09:51 AM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
A month ago several fellow riders and I went south of Miami to ride, we put 4 bike on his Saris rack and I'll never do that again. One guy's Zipp wheels got effed up, a QR damaged the paint on my fork, such that I'm having the fork sent back to Trek to be re-painted, hopefully under warranty but I doubt it. I'll never put my bike on a trunk/hitch rack again. I have a Yakima rook rack and that is how I will always transport from now on.