Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

questons about going tubeless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 08:22 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

Ok so I am my own mechanic and build my own wheels and never really have thought about going tubeless. So far it seems I would have no advantage or reason. I have Kinlin BDOP DIY wheels I built. I run Conti Grand Pri 4000 II (23mm) and have not had a flat in my 2 years or so. I run 110-115 front and 100 rear at 175 lbs. I really have no issue with ride quality and going less psi is not something I care about but seeking opinions. Could it be going tubeless is safer on descents or turns?

Is going tubeless better and will I see any improvement? Finally what do you need to make the change. I pretty sure these Kinlin cx279 rims are tubeless compatible.
Old 10-10-15, 08:39 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Ok so I am my own mechanic and build my own wheels and never really have thought about going tubeless. So far it seems I would have no advantage or reason. I have Kinlin BDOP DIY wheels I built. I run Conti Grand Pri 4000 II (23mm) and have not had a flat in my 2 years or so. I run 110-115 front and 100 rear at 175 lbs. I really have no issue with ride quality and going less psi is not something I care about but seeking opinions. Could it be going tubeless is safer on descents or turns?

Is going tubeless better and will I see any improvement? Finally what do you need to make the change. I pretty sure these Kinlin cx279 rims are tubeless compatible.
those hoops are not tubeless compatible.
Old 10-10-15, 08:46 AM
deacon mark

Oh thanks I thought they were. In any case they are good hoops. I was thinking of building a set of DT Swiss 440's with OC rear 28 24 and some novatec hubs, with plain out DB wheelsmiths spokes and brass nips.
Old 10-10-15, 09:03 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you haven't had a flat in two years, I personally wouldn't change a thing.

Old 10-10-15, 09:05 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh thanks I thought they were. In any case they are good hoops. I was thinking of building a set of DT Swiss 440's with OC rear 28 24 and some novatec hubs, with plain out DB wheelsmiths spokes and brass nips.
Have you seen the new BDop DIY kit?

DIY Alloy Road Wheel Kit
Old 10-10-15, 10:39 AM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Do you really run more tire pressure in front than in back? I think you've got it backwards.
Old 10-10-15, 10:40 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most ride with a slightly higher psi in the rear tire to support the heavier weight in the back vs. front. However, tire pressure is a personal preference.

Edit: cross post with above. Noticed the same thing.
Old 10-10-15, 10:46 AM
deacon mark

Originally Posted by FLvector
Most ride with a slightly higher psi in the rear tire to support the heavier weight in the back vs. front. However, tire pressure is a personal preference.

Edit: cross post with above. Noticed the same thing.
Oh my mistake naturally I have the 110 in the rear and 100 in the front........
Old 10-10-15, 07:08 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
As it seems you prefer gambling over taking proactive flat prevention measures, and that you're so comfortably certain about what you haven't experienced, then I say yeah, don't bother with tubeless.

However, if the way in which your certainity about the Kinlin's being tubeless compatible turned out to be false prompts you to reconsider your other assumptions, then you may find some potential benefits in going tubeless.

No matter how you cut it though, no one needs tubeless, so you'll have to be working on a more sophisticated assessment than that, e.g. a more nuanced understanding than "I don't get flats, ergo I don't need tubeless."
Old 10-11-15, 11:33 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Is going tubeless better and will I see any improvement?
Yes and yes! Anyone who says otherwise is not me!
Old 10-11-15, 08:57 PM
rbrsddn

Bikes: '98 Rhygin SS road,'99 Fat Chance Ti Fat, '95 Azonic Mtn bike, '88 Giant Sedona.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I got a new set of Ksyrium SL's in 2012, after 12 years on the Heliums, with 2 flats over that time. I had never heard of road tubeless until I read a.review of the SL's where the tester ran some Fusion 3's, and loved the ride. So I ordered a.set, and haven't gone back to tubes yet. 23 mm tires running 80 R and 75 F. Try it,!you mightnlovenit n
Old 10-11-15, 09:14 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run tubeless in my commuter. Sector 28s on Stans wheels. Really nice. Really like them.

I will tell you, while you won't get flats in the traditional sense, a puncture takes time to heal with sealant.

During that time, a 27 tire will drop from about 90psi to 20 or 30 psi. So while you are not swapping tubes, you will certainly pull over and add air. I imagine this would be worse on smaller sized road tires.

For what it's worth...