Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Strip and polish

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Strip and polish

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 08:40 PM
Steiner74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strip and polish

Hey just pulled a k2 attack out of the ditch(be a hero rescue a bike) and i have stripped it and polished it but am having the toughest time getting in to the little crevices. Besides steel wool and sand paper ( 80,150,225,400,600,800,1000,1200) what is the best way and the best tools to get a nice mirror polish on the frame. Also any lessons you can teach me before learning the hard way?
Old 11-20-15, 08:51 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Truth be told, it takes a lot of elbow grease no matter what you do. For the nooks & crannies, chuck a small polishing wheel in a hand drill and go for it. Go to a real hardware store - not Home Depot - and see what you can find. My local store has 3", 4" and 6" diameter cloth wheels and appropriate arbors. Start out with some red rubbing compound, then white polishing compound, then Mother's Mag Polish to finish. Remember: you've removed any protection against oxidation. You'll have to re-polish every few months to keep it shiny.

I have a Easy Racers Gold Rush aluminum recumbent that I bought used. It was bare aluminum originally and looked like it had spent a couple years outside in Arizona... very dull and beat up. I removed all the parts, then spent a couple weeks of evenings restoring the polish with the above method. It now shines like a mirror.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-21-15, 07:01 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Truth be told, it takes a lot of elbow grease no matter what you do. For the nooks & crannies, chuck a small polishing wheel in a hand drill and go for it. Go to a real hardware store - not Home Depot - and see what you can find. My local store has 3", 4" and 6" diameter cloth wheels and appropriate arbors. Start out with some red rubbing compound, then white polishing compound, then Mother's Mag Polish to finish. Remember: you've removed any protection against oxidation. You'll have to re-polish every few months to keep it shiny.

I have a Easy Racers Gold Rush aluminum recumbent that I bought used. It was bare aluminum originally and looked like it had spent a couple years outside in Arizona... very dull and beat up. I removed all the parts, then spent a couple weeks of evenings restoring the polish with the above method. It now shines like a mirror.
Oh man! Now look what you've done.

Now I'm going to have to try that. Lucky for me, I'don't have any aluminum frames at the moment.
Old 11-21-15, 08:37 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I am thinking you will want to clear coat it after to keep it shiny.
Old 11-21-15, 08:47 AM
cradom

Bikes: Schwinn Sport Tourer, Dawes Lightning Tourer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get a Dremel type tool with a cloth polishing wheel for the really small stuff.
Old 11-21-15, 09:25 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cradom
Get a Dremel type tool with a cloth polishing wheel for the really small stuff.
+1 They offer conical tools for getting into really small crevices:
https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...l.aspx?pid=422 felt polishing
https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...l.aspx?pid=462 rubber abrasive
Old 11-21-15, 09:36 AM
Steiner74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills

ya thats kinda what i was figuring. i did a nice quick job on it but lesson learned stick with the steel wool and aircraft stripper. i hit it with a steel cuf trying to get the last bits of powder coat off and lets just say i have alot of sanding to do once i get a dremel in the nooks but not so terrible for the first time on a free bike. heres some pics

as you can see my tools are limited and not specific. i actually ended up hand polishing it but ill redo it once i get the proper tools and post some more pics. thanks for the advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0103[1].jpg (86.7 KB, 22 views)
IMG_0104[1].jpg (94.3 KB, 20 views)
IMG_0105[1].jpg (96.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-21-15, 09:37 AM
Steiner74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Oh man! Now look what you've done.

Now I'm going to have to try that. Lucky for me, I'don't have any aluminum frames at the moment.

do it get a cheapy or something and learn your lessons there lol
Old 11-21-15, 09:38 AM
Steiner74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I am thinking you will want to clear coat it after to keep it shiny.
is it possible? i was thinking that but me and my neighbor didnt know if would interact in a negative way or something else unforseen.
Old 11-21-15, 05:15 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Steiner74
is it possible? i was thinking that but me and my neighbor didnt know if would interact in a negative way or something else unforseen.
Sort of. IMO, clear coat won't stick really well to the polished surface and will be prone to scratches and wear. It's better to figure on polishing it a couple times a year to take off the layer of oxidation. Once the frame is polished, it's not too tough to keep it that way.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..